Rear Shock Options for QX4 with 4" SFD

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a 4" SFD. I recently installed a full front end kit including new ball joints, sway bar end links, tie rod ends, lower control arms, and all the associated bushings. Now that the front end is refreshed, it's time to tackle the rear suspension. My rear shocks and lower bushings are shot and are in need of replacement. I purchased my QX4 with the SFD already installed and unfortunately I no longer have the previous owner's contact information to ask what shocks are currently on it.

What are everyone's recommendations for rear shocks? Ideally looking for a direct fit and not a shock I will have to press new bushings into. 

Thanks!

Hello LeakyQX4, aside from Nissan OEM shocks you can also use KYB which is also a stock-length shocks. However, you mention your QX4 has a 4" SFD already installed. Usually when this has been done one would then go with a set of Bilsteins to get more travel in the rear. Pictures will help us to possibly figure out what you might currently have fit rear shocks.

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan

I found out I have KYB #344382 for a Ford F250 Super Duty. I went ahead and ordered new replacement shocks. Will I have to replace either of the two bushings? I've read about people having to swap the top and bottom bushing around, or replace both entirely. 

Thanks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8c426440b11b3477bd3ecb3d9c675f27.jpeg

@LEAKYQX4, If you are replacing your rear shocks with the Nissan OEM style KYB shocks #343379 there is no need to swap out the bushings, that's only necessary if your running Bilsteins in the rear. The KYB's will be a direct bolt on for ya, I too just happen to be running KYB's in the rear also.

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan

On 5/15/2023 at 5:32 AM, LeakyQX4 said:

I found out I have KYB #344382 for a Ford F250 Super Duty. I went ahead and ordered new replacement shocks. Will I have to replace either of the two bushings? I've read about people having to swap the top and bottom bushing around, or replace both entirely. 

Thanks. 

If you ordered the same F250 shocks, then yes, you'll likely have to modify and/or swap the bushings.  I'm pretty sure I bought the KYB F250 shocks and you can't actually swap the lower bushing because of how it's pressed in; you have to bore out the existing sleeve.  I can't recall what I had to do to the upper, though.  But for the most part, F250 shocks used the same/similar hole sizes as ours, except the bushings needed swapping.

Bilsteins can be made to work with relative ease.  When I switched to them, I just went with a different upper bolt/sleeve setup since there was a little too much play with the M12(?) bolt.

I'll try to gather more info and pics about both setups I ran/run.

I opted for the Bilstein 5165 25-187748 extended travel shocks and LR 9448/9449 coils. Works GREAT for my rear setup. The bilsteins have 13 inches of total travel. And even with your SFD its still going to provide more travel to max from ride height, than stock shocks ever would have. Don't think the shop i had install them had to fit new bushings however i did order them and provided them to the shop in case they did need them. It has been a while though. Its a really good fit and the ride quality is amazing. I did weeks of research and these were the best Bilstein shocks and possibly the best shocks in general that will fit on the pathfinder without tons of extra modifications.

Edited by Xander386
corrected typo(s)
  • Like 2

FYI, Bilstein 33-185569 are a slightly less expensive alternative to the recommendation above with similar performance. I have these on my 6" lifted R50.

• Like 3

@XPLORx4Did these require the bushings to be swapped out to be fitted?

I ordered the same KYB's that are already in my QX4 (KYB #344382 from an F-250), and the lower bushings are too small like @hawairish had mentioned. I don't feel entirely comfortable boring them out as I believe it's likely what contributed the the bushing failure on the currently installed shocks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, XPLORx4 said:

FYI, Bilstein 33-185569 are a slightly less expensive alternative to the recommendation above with similar performance. I have these on my 6" lifted R50.

These are a much better option than the model mentioned by xandar. The price is less than half and the performance is nearly the same. These cars are not prerunners, they’re crappy suvs with subpar suspensions. 

LeakyQX4- the Bilstein bushings are the same dimensions on top and bottom. I have a 97, with a larger top shock post and a smaller bolt on the bottom mount. On the top, the bushing is the correct diameter for the post. On the bottom, the bushing is larger than the bolt, but I have sleeves/collars for the bushings that fit the ID of the bushing and the OD of the bolt. I believe the later model R50s have a larger lower shock post with the correct OD for the bushing, and a smaller upper bolt which needs a similar sleeve or collar.