Upper Control Arm bushing Removal

Teesetz

How in the flying fart @!*% do you remove these bushings with the cross member still installed without a press. It looks like the typical removal tools wouldn’t work. I had no idea the lift “kit” from 4x4 parts does NOT come with new cross mounts or whatever you call them. Frustrating because they said the whole kit just bolts on, they didn’t send instructions, but on the website under “education center” it says you need to burn these out??

Thanks in advancecb467f8f46863e641ac0b8c1a8862d6f.jpg

I had a similar thought when I had my front end to bits. I didn't have a press at the time, I didn't want to open a can of worms, and the old bushings really didn't look that bad. I gave the spindle a couple half-hearted whacks with a hammer to see if it would move easily (it didn't), decided the old bushings were fine, and then put them back on.

I have a press now, so that would be my go-to. Otherwise, unless you can rig up something like a press, you're probably stuck burning them out.

Update: Drilled around the sleeve in the bushing until it was free enough and chiseled and hammered it out. Thankfully you only have to get one bushing out and the cross shaft slips out. New bushing with the new arms so I didn’t care to thrash the old bushing. Still working on the front end because I figured since I’ll need an alignment anyways I may as well get new ball joints and tie rods on the thing. Photos to come.

I would avoid moog branded upper ball joints if you can. They are absolute trash on this platform (and apparently moog parts now just suck in general). The AC Delco greasable ones have treated me well for years now.

• Like 2

One of my clients is a Toyota dealer and they had these laying around from a truck they wheeled and tired. Free 99. Turns out the lug pattern is the same and the tires are 31s compared to the 29s I had on it. Wanted to test fit 31s to see if 33s were going to be possible.

d5464be8fad45db189f1ea9aa869c2ce.jpg
41c466d0363c17cfd166b3c2a4642f19.jpg

Yeah, those fill the arches better. Given that 33x10.50 mostly fits at stock height, you should be good with that lift, so long as the offset on the Yota rims isn't too crazy. 

Normally I'm not a fan of modern rims, but those ain't bad--especially for the price!

• Like 1

31s were a factory tire size (they all used the same ride height though) so you should be perfectly fine with 33x10.50. Stepping up to anything wider requires a body lift or trimming.

• Like 1