Swapping steering wheels

BlueKrogan

So the crusty old "leather" or vinyl material is pretty much peeling off on one of the spokes, and overall looks terrible.

How hard is it to swap out a steering wheel on these, and what are some other models that may be compatible with the Pathfinder?

I know the Hardbody is an obvious answer; I assume the '94 Pathfinder doesn't have any airbags, and I believe later Hardbodies are equipped with them. Would it be possible to swap any of those in, regardless of it being equipped with airbags or not? 

It's pretty easy, take the horn pad off and then there's a big nut to undo, I've been able to just pull them off without a puller every time. Not sure what else would fit but maybe a maxima from the same era would be nice if it did.

AFAIK any mid '93-'95 (round dash, pre-airbag) D21 should have the same wheel as yours. A really low-trim one might not have the cruise control buttons, so watch out for that. I would avoid the '96/'97 D21 wheel with the airbag. I imagine the splines in the airbag wheels are the same, but they've got a clock spring instead of the sliding contacts, so you'd have to do some screwing around to get the horn and cruise control buttons working. And then of course there's the 26-year-old pyrotechnic device in the middle of it.

I'll second Adam's idea--check out other pre-airbag Nissans of similar vintage. I looked up a '94 Maxima wheel and it looks like it's got the same cruise buttons, so that's promising. Couldn't find a picture from the back, but if that's the same, it may bolt right up. The trick is finding one in better condition than what you've got now. 

If you try to pull the wheel off its splines without a puller, thread the nut back on a few turns before reefing on it so you don't slam it into your face when it lets go.

• 3 months later...

May be bit late for you BlueKrogan..
I had same situation for my '95 LBYD21. Apparently a number of Nissan wheels from that era fit, including those from Pulsar (N14), maybe 'NX' in your market?
Best options in NZ were pulsar gti/gti-r and skyline GTR wheels in leather, but they are crazy money.
I know the S15 (200sx) wheel does NOT fit. The horn contacts are too far forward/offset from the splined fitting.
I ended up with a Nardi wheel and cheap aftermarket boss kit.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...