Pray for my Pathfinder :(

BlueKrogan

Long story short, I was stopped at a red light, heading southbound. The Accord that was heading eastbound was making a left at the intersection, while the CRV was heading westbound. The Accord thought he could make it but ended up cutting off the CRV, which caused him to be t-boned. After they made contact, the 2 cars pretty much spun out, and due to the momentum the Accord spun backwards right into me :( I believe both parties were trying to make the yellow light.

It was one of those things where you see it happening in slow motion but in real time at simultaneously. I was pretty conflicted on how I felt because I just got this truck last summer, and not even a year went by and this happened; I was just simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. Rotten luck. I could've been in a much worse situation, since I'm the only one that was lucky enough to drive home; my truck still drives perfectly fine as if nothing happened, so I'm proud of it lol

The girl who was in the back of the Accord...yeah, Godspeed, I hope she's doing alright, which is why I can't complain. I'm not even mad because it won't solve anything, and I really felt bad for both Honda drivers. 

Right now, my main concern is getting this fixed, and I'm afraid the insurance might write it off because they might say it will cost more than what it's worth to fix, it's too old, parts are a bitch to find, etc. Regardless, I do plan on keeping this because it would be such a waste to just let it go; plus I had so much stuff that I wanted to do to it. The push bar was both a blessing and a curse: it saved the whole front end and stuff under the hood from crumpling like paper, but it made a deep dent in the hood and misaligned it; the part that wraps around the right headlight is pushed inward as you can see, and scratched the @!*% out a small part of the 1/4 panel above the light. I don't know if the headlight needs realignment, or if that's just the grill or 1/4 panel pushed back, but it still works like a charm :) The grill is probably done for as well, and obviously the bumper as well. At this point, I won't shed any tears if I lose the push bar.

Wish me luck :(

52c657xbdopa1.jpg?width=5312&format=pjpg

xhlsd07ddopa1.jpg?width=5312&format=pjpg

ifpn82xddopa1.jpg?width=5312&format=pjpg

kmm1fapedopa1.jpg?width=5312&format=pjpg

Edited by BlueKrogan
  • Like 1

Ouch. Headlight sure looks tweaked in the last shot. Might've just popped the ball out of the bracket. The grille might be alright, or at least salvageable. Super glue worked pretty well on the grille for my '95. Works great reinforced with baking soda. I used sawdust, don't remember why, but that also worked. Bumper's junk, bumper brackets probably are too. You won't know more until you start pulling it apart. Hopefully it doesn't take much to bring it around, looks like a really clean rig otherwise. 

When I hit a deer a few years ago, I figured the insurance would want to junk it/be more hassle than it was worth. I just put a strap around the bumper and pulled it straight enough. The rad support needed a little tweaking to get the fender to sit flat, but a couple hours' work got it close enough. One of these days I want to build a stronger bumper, so I didn't bother getting it perfect, but unless you squat down and really look at it, it doesn't show.

Hopefully injuries in the Honda weren't too bad. That sounds like a recipe for whiplash. 

It was bad, both girls in the Accord were in rough shape, especially the one who was in the backseat who took the brunt of the impact. She was practically laying still but still breathing; it's why I counted my lucky stars. Her and I think one other from the CRV were taken to the hospital :(

If insurance wants to write it off, you can definitely buy it back from them and fix it yourself.

I have a nearly complete parts truck just outside of Ottawa if you need something.

Glad you are ok though. fskc, I barely drive my wd21 anymore mainly because I'm scared of this happening.

Edited by adamzan

• 1 month later...

Update: So after bringing it to the body shop a few weeks ago, they made a quote and the insurance Ok'd it.

Today my insurance called to give me an update, and unfortunately the body shop cannot find any replacement parts due them being obviously discontinued; they tried everything from OEM to aftermarket.

However, the insurance will not write it off, and will cut me a cheque for the exact amount the body shop quoted (around $2700 CAD) me for the repairs, and I can take that money and somehow find a way myself to get it fixed.

It's a bittersweet, down but not out ending lol. Since I'm not at fault, my insurance probably doesn't care about the amount since the other party is responsible for paying anyways, and they just want to close this claim ASAP

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

That's not bad. What damage did they find?

It was really weird, as he basically pointed out the obvious surface damage.

- So the hood is slightly misaligned, and it has a few dents, and it's missing the plastic insert in one of the hood vents

- The push bar seems to be fine, except in the middle portion where there are 2 horizontal bars, the bottom one is hanging off on one side. From the looks of it, it seems that the portion of the frame that it mounts to might be what's bent, not the push bar itself, which is why it's sitting like that

- The bumper is bent to @!*%.

- The passenger headlight still works fine, but it looks like it's slightly popped out

- The grill is cracked

He looked under the hood and found absolutely nothing wrong. So that push bar was both a blessing and a curse lol. I have a feeling that the push bar is the main reason why they're having trouble. At this point, if I lose the push bar I really don't care, although it is cool. He also took pictures of the interior and the rest of the exterior to show the insurance company that's it's in great shape, and that it's not a pos beater that gets abused on a daily basis to justify why it should not be written off. 

Edited by BlueKrogan

Hopefully the obvious surface damage is all there is, then. Most of that stuff is available, and I'll bet some of it could be brought back around with some epoxy and some strategic hammertime, depending on your skills and standards.

The hood's a bummer, though. That was in way nicer shape than mine. 

Getting into an accident is never a fun experience, especially when it involves other people. It sounds like you're handling it pretty well though, and I respect that. As for your truck, I hope the insurance doesn't write it off, but I understand your concerns. It's hard to let go of something you've invested so much time and energy into. It seems like you really care about your truck and have a lot of plans for it, so I hope it all works out for you. On a side note, have you ever heard of firstchurchlove.com? It's a church I started to believe in, and it's really helped me through some tough times. Just thought I'd mention it in case you're ever interested.

Edited by IzaiahGarza

• 3 weeks later...

Your opinion?   Was the bush , push bar a good or bad thing with this accident?

I just got a free one for my new 2003 and wondering to install, specifically what you are dealing with.

I'm so sorry about your truck..    :( 

I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a new grille or hood or headlights. The brush guard, sure. TBH I would just straighten it out or get rid of it entirely.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow, I forgot all about this topic!

On 5/27/2023 at 6:03 AM, CAB said:

Your opinion?   Was the bush , push bar a good or bad thing with this accident?

I just got a free one for my new 2003 and wondering to install, specifically what you are dealing with.

I'm so sorry about your truck..    :( 

Both a good and bad thing, probably more bad lol.

It got pushed towards the hood and made a massive dent and misaligned it. Plus it probably did some minor frame damage on the front end, but probably only on the part it bolt to. On the flip side it probably saved the engine bay lol. I hear people call these things damage multipliers, at least the stock ones anyway.

On 5/28/2023 at 5:27 PM, adamzan said:

I find it hard to believe they couldn't find a new grille or hood or headlights. The brush guard, sure. TBH I would just straighten it out or get rid of it entirely.

Yeah, it's crazy, because I can find a bumper and grille easy online; I honestly think it's the brush guard that gave them trouble, at this point I really don't care if I lose it. That's probably what made up the chunk of the estimate anyways lol

I might end up just buying them and going to a body shop and have them fix it up. I'd probably still walk out with a tiny profit from the settlement after all is said and done.

On 5/6/2023 at 3:59 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Hopefully the obvious surface damage is all there is, then. Most of that stuff is available, and I'll bet some of it could be brought back around with some epoxy and some strategic hammertime, depending on your skills and standards.

The hood's a bummer, though. That was in way nicer shape than mine. 

The hood is my main concern. I hope that it can be straightened out; I really don't want a new hood with a new paint job, would look awful unless the whole truck is being repainted.

I'll bet a paintless dent removal guy could do something with that. Might have to drill a hole in the structure behind it to put pressure on the back of the dent. Or the body shop could pull/putty/paint just that corner, if that's all that's wrong with it. Gloss black shows everything that's wrong with a panel, so either way they'll have their work cut out for them. 

That said, I imagine a simple black with no pearl or metal flake to it is easier to match than some colors. I do minor touchups on mine with a generic black paint pen and it blends in pretty well, though that statement may say more about my standards than it does about the paint itself. If the gloss of the new paint gives it away, you could buff the rest of the truck, see if that helps hide it.

Or, super long shot, find a hood at a wrecking yard that's the right color and not beat to hell. It's probably at the same yard as the not-cracked driver's side armrests and the steering column clamshells where all the screw posts are still solid.