Swapping Manual Side View Mirrors (XE) for Electric (SE) - 2 Door Pathy

moykas

Anyone ever try this? The electric mirrors look better imo. Wondering if anyone has gone thru the hassle of wiring up the controls on an XE pathfinder and if so, where did you route them to. I'm assuming you had to take them off of another pathy along with the controls, but any info would be great. Thx!

-Moykas

Some options are pre-wired on these, and the '87 manual shows power mirrors as an option. I'd be curious to check behind the dash and the mirrors see if the pigtails are there already. If they are, it should be an easy upgrade. Otherwise you may need to run some wires. I would not be surprised if the power mirror pigtails were part of the harness for the power locks and windows, so if you don't have those, but the dash is pre-wired, you could get door harnesses from a higher-trim donor and make it work that way. 

If you have to recreate the harness from scratch, it looks like a reasonably simple system. There's a wiring diagram for it on BF-43 in the '87 manual, or BF-45 of the '89 (which I have on dropbox here). Might need to find the wiring for the rear defroster if you want to get the heaters working.

Gonna check to see if those pigtails are there but my XE doesn’t have powerlocks. Hopefully I can find a donor that I can swap the entire unit + wires from. I was just at two lkq’s but the pathy’s got stripped quick /: Last resort I can wire them up with the diagram you provided. Thanks for the dropbox link!

I have the harness and switch ready to go. I don't recommend this job unless you are willing to take your front fenders off or have the patience to take your door tube grommets off and snaking the harness through in such a tight spot. What I recommend is going the junk yard and getting the door tube grommets from an Xterra (1st gen) and using those to run your wire through and maybe larger door speaker wires or other wires you may want to run to your doors.

On 4/2/2023 at 12:51 PM, 93PathSe said:

I have the harness and switch ready to go. I don't recommend this job unless you are willing to take your front fenders off or have the patience to take your door tube grommets off and snaking the harness through in such a tight spot. What I recommend is going the junk yard and getting the door tube grommets from an Xterra (1st gen) and using those to run your wire through and maybe larger door speaker wires or other wires you may want to run to your doors.

Thanks for the info 93. Probably sounds ridiculous but I may even set them up without the cabling, and just adjust them manually. Once I have them set to my preference I don't think I'll be moving them much. It's an aesthetic choice more than anything. The xe manual mirrors do provide more viewability but I love how the se mirrors look.

So have you not pulled the door cards to look for the pigtail yet?

There was a mirror pigtail on my 98 Frontier despite it not being wired for power locks or windows.  The harness for the switch was behind the blank on the dash.  Converted to power mirrors easily.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:17 PM, hawairish said:

So have you not pulled the door cards to look for the pigtail yet?

There was a mirror pigtail on my 98 Frontier despite it not being wired for power locks or windows.  The harness for the switch was behind the blank on the dash.  Converted to power mirrors easily.

This is NOT the case with these trucks. Trust me 

5 hours ago, 93PathSe said:

This is NOT the case with these trucks. Trust me 

Bummer.  Though you might’ve helped the OP if you mentioned that sooner that the trucks weren’t pre-wired. 

Stripped all the interior trim today as well as the door panels to clean all the dirt in there and there were no pigtails. All good though. Either going to stick to the manual mirrors or swap the electric ones and just move them to the right position for me and call it a day. Thanks fellas