R50 VQ35DE Hard Start When Warm

kavs3

Hi everyone, new here but I have a high mileage r50(2001) I picked up about a year ago. In the last few months it's developed an odd "hard starting" issue. The issue only occurs when the engine is "warm" if I restart it within 5 or so minutes of shutting it off like when getting gas it starts right up, same when it's "cold", been sitting for >24 hours. Anytime between then it's always a struggle for it to start and often takes 3-4 attempts to get it to fire up. I've scrubbed the forums and can't seem to find a concrete answer for this. Car runs and drives perfectly once it's been started, no codes, just can't seem to wrap my head around what might be causing this. Figured before I start throwing parts and money at it I'll see if anyone else has had this issue before. Was going to start by replacing the IACV and then if that didn't work, start looking at the fuel system. Any help is appreciated!

:welcome:

Could be a small injector leak flooding the intake with fuel vapor (which dissipates or leaks past the rings when it sits overnight). On your next warm start, try flooring it while you're cranking. That should put it in clear-flood mode (injectors off). If it's flooded, it should fire faster like that than it does normally (clears out the flooding faster when it isn't spraying more fuel on top of it). You could also do a fuel pressure leakdown test (hook up a fuel pressure gauge, prime the fuel system, see how long it takes to leak down). Also check your oil--does it smell like fuel?