1996 LE OBD2 Port has power but scanner can't find correct protocal

Hey guys, new to the forums and just bought my 3rd R50, this one is a 1996 from Southern Colorado, 65k miles, no rust (paint is trashed) and since I live in Illinois rust free is super rare.

I have the blinking OD light sometimes after I start the truck, not every time. No transmission issues and everything shifts smoothly. Tried using my Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and Torque via an iPad and Android and I could get power from the port, but it wouldn't connect for DTCs.

I bought a cheap generic OBD2 stand alone via Amazon that also powers up via the OBD2 port but can't find a protocol to communicate. Anyone had any issue like this before? I'm ordering a Nissan Consult reader to hook up to my laptop but this OBD2 port issue isn't anything I've ever come across.

Thanks for any assistance!

:welcome:

Check for any obvious damage to the OBDII plug, its pins, or its harness. Worst case you could check the wiring in the EL section of the service manual (free here) and check each wire. If there's damage somewhere, my bet would be the plug itself, unless someone's been playing around with the wiring. 

If that fails, the AT section of the manual has instructions for decoding the flashes without a scanner. 

I echo the same as Slartibarfast when it comes down to the plug, as I have to jiggle the connector when connecting my Launch scan tool to my 2001 R50 Pathfinder. Otherwise, it can't read things, 12 volts are also present when this happens but still able to get connected by jiggling the connector.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I appreciate the assistance! Just an FYI I went down to Menards and got some QD Electrical Cleaner (because it's literally half the price than what Autozone wants $13 vs $7) and gave the ole OBD2 port a couple of blasts. (I wanted to make an assblast joke but don't know how many Its Always Sunny fans we have here) Sure enough, damn port works again and I retrieved the codes for my CEL. (Speed sensor and Bank 1 Knock sensor)

I didn't want to hit and run like people often do and wanted to update you guys on the sit-E-ation and that it was resolved. I have some questions pertaining to wheel center caps that I will make another thread for.

Thanks again to you guys that responded!

DO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DatsunOwner said:

Hey guys I appreciate the assistance! Just an FYI I went down to Menards and got some QD Electrical Cleaner (because it's literally half the price than what Autozone wants $13 vs $7) and gave the ole OBD2 port a couple of blasts. (I wanted to make an assblast joke but don't know how many Its Always Sunny fans we have here) Sure enough, damn port works again and I retrieved the codes for my CEL. (Speed sensor and Bank 1 Knock sensor)

I didn't want to hit and run like people often do and wanted to update you guys on the sit-E-ation and that it was resolved. I have some questions pertaining to wheel center caps that I will make another thread for.

Thanks again to you guys that responded!

DO

Awesome good stuff, I'm glad it turned out to be a quick and cheap fix for you!

Chris.