Catalytic converter anti-theft cage for 98 pathfinder?

Frankeenfurter

Hey everyone, 

So forgive me if this hasn't already been discussed, but today after speaking with the Toyota dealer about my 2011 Prius, I found out that quite a lot of cats are being stolen in California. The guy was telling me he has over 250 vehicles waiting for parts; most of them Priuses (prii). I had mine stolen in October of 2022, and it could be another 2-6 months for all I know. Being that my 98 Pathfinder is kinda at the level of a 4runner, which I'm told is a high risk vehicle,  I thought I should probably ask around about a cat cage or something that would be worthy of installing. I know Nissan isn't listed in one of the sites I looked at for cat cages. I guess it is better safe than sorry? I might be due for a smog soon so I'm just trying to prevent the worst case. Is this 98 even a risk?

Thanks

The primary ones (which is what the ECU monitors and what matters) are hard to reach on these rigs from underneath, but the secondary ones could be easily cut out. I haven't heard of it happening much on this board but that's not to say it hasn't happened. Maybe one of the cages from the other vehicles could fit on the r50? It's a problem where I live too (Canada) but it seems mostly isolated to toyota and honda.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 2

Generally speaking, we’re probably a VERY unlikely target. The primaries are essentially inaccessible, the secondaries less so but the Cats are just about as depleted of the metals they want. One of the reasons a Prius is such a target is that their. Cats are extremely lightly used. Admittedly, these thief’s aren’t mental giants but it’s generally accepted that newer vehicles are the best targets.

• Like 1