87 Pathfinder V6 - Motor surges in idle

Evan3029

Hello!

I recently changed the fuel injectors in the throttle body as well as the fuel pump and filter because the vehicle was sputtering during acceleration. I found that after doing that, the engine still bogged down during acceleration so I checked the ecu for any codes and it threw a coolant temperature sensor code.

I changed the sensor and now whenever I start the truck, it runs decently for about 20 seconds and then begins to surge while idling.

Any tips on what I should do? Thanks

How was the wiring and connector?  Something I figured out when I did my coolant temp and pigtail repair: you can sneak a deep well socket on the sensor, then stick a large flat blade screw driver right under the timing cover into the square drive on the socket at a sharp angle and remove the sensor using pliers on the screwdriver and replace it without removing anything.  

I would disconnect the battery for some time then go on a decent drive to let the ecu do it’s thing and recognize the new sensor if you haven’t already.  If that doesn’t do it, go through the test procedures in the service manual for the ECT code.   Do you have a service manual?  You can download them from Nicoclub forums. 

29 minutes ago, Evan3029 said:

Hello!

I recently changed the fuel injectors in the throttle body as well as the fuel pump and filter because the vehicle was sputtering during acceleration. I found that after doing that, the engine still bogged down during acceleration so I checked the ecu for any codes and it threw a coolant temperature sensor code.

I changed the sensor and now whenever I start the truck, it runs decently for about 20 seconds and then begins to surge while idling.

Any tips on what I should do? Thanks

Also, Nicoclub won’t list a 1987 pathfinder service manual. Pick the 1987 pickup truck manual.  The manual will cover all the 2 door pathfinder specific stuff as well.  They only made the manuals specific for pathfinder after I believe it was 1990. 

+1 for checking connectors and giving the computer a time out. I've got a loose MAF plug on my MPFI that makes it surge and stall when it acts up. I would also re-check the vacuum lines around where you were working. 

I have not worked with the TBI, but I've heard it can be pretty finicky, including running poorly with the air cleaner off. I don't have a PDF of the '87 manual, but I've got a PDF of the '89 up on Dropbox, and the TBI system is the same between those years AFAIK with the exception of some codes that got moved to different numbers, just to be difficult. (The '87 lists 42 as TPS, 43 as injector circuit, and 44 as no malfunction; all the other manuals I've got lists 43 as TPS, 51 as injector circuit, and 55 as no malfunction. The coolant temp sensor code did not change, so, no worries there.) The EF&EC section of that manual can tell you more about the TBI than I can. 

If you run into something in the '89 manual that doesn't match what you're seeing, message me, I've got a paper copy of the '87 and can cross-check if you want.