VG30 Water Pump Housing / Oil Pump Housing Mating Surfaces Pins?

bamashooter

Title pretty much says it all. One on each side of housing. Hard steel pin housed in hard rubber? coating. Can find nothing about them. Hope they're not critical. Was thinking either guidance installation pins, dowels, none of the above. Didn't look and can't find pics of any related holes in front of block. Thanks.

3TqQmcd.jpg

FK5QSXm.jpg

Edited by bamashooter

• bamashooter changed the title to VG30 Water Pump Housing / Oil Pump Housing Mating Surfaces Pins?

Currently helping my brother do the timing belt on his 95. These pins arent there on his and it was dealer only maintained. Maybe its a seal for the gap between the 2 surfaces? Don't remember them on my VG33 either, if it had them at least.

edit: my bad i didnt realise this was the older wd21 section

Edited by Strato_54
  • Like 1

Thanks. I'm still very much the rookie on Nissans et al. I find multiple configurations of the VG30 to include different style housings of both the oil and water pumps. I also spt the seal theory for that terrible fitment. I see no sense in it being a dowl such as you might find on trannies and such. I did put a dab of red goop on the rear section where it would meet the bottom of the water pump gasket. Reckon we'll soon see any negatives. Regarding the water pump gasket. The FSM barely mentions removal / installation of the gasket. Nothing on "stick'um". My Haynes emphasizes goop on both sides. I assume that's nothing more than an opinion. I used a very light coat of Gasgacinch on the pump side of the gasket and nothing on the engine side. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I decided to go in a cruise and ended up at the shop. And I can confirm there are 0 pins in sight. Even in the box of parts I have that I didn’t know what to do with on mine. I would just put silicone in there to seal the belt from water since that’s all it appears to be. No holes in the block either. 

All I ever do anyways is dab a bit of grease. Never hurts and it holds it there pretty good. Stick it to the pump with a bolt or 2 for alignment and it’s on. 

kL1NSjU.jpglOwu6bf.jpg

Pics are the best I could get shop has basically 0 light 

Edited by Strato_54
  • Like 1

Great. Thanks my friend.

Took a large animal syringe, minus needle, filled in with very warmed (thinned) goop and filled the voids. Wiped excess from side gaps. We are currently having tornadoes in my area. What's next?

Edited by bamashooter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 1:44 PM, adamzan said:

They are there to help line things up. I know I lost one on my old truck and didn't put it back in, I never had any leaks or issues with it at all.

Sorry for the delay. Thanks.