Help with EVAP code P1456

Beneficial

Hey everyone I'm having an issue with a very small leak with my EVAP system. It can be a multitude of issues as shown by the FSM. 

I made a video because I feel like it can be the bypass valve but would like more clarification whether this part is functioning correctly or not.

https://youtu.be/Hi5M2RkkDmk

• Thanks 1

I don't know how the bypass valve is supposed to function, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like a common cause for this code. Have you tested the other parts of the evap system? Based on the rusty condition of your bracket, I would recommend checking your hard EVAP lines running from the EVAP canister to the engine bay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evap system on the R50 is simple, a smoke test will show a leak if it is there. If there is no problems with the lines, canister, fuel filler neck, or fuel cap, you might want to test the vent and purge valves. Cycle them manually a few times by feeding power and ground to them and insure they seal completely every time. I have had a few small leaks in various cars caused by a leaking purge valve. Easy test for it is to unplug the valve, disconnect the hose that is on the tank side and with the engine running, check for vacuum on the port on the valve. It shouldn't have any at all. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the EVAP Canister and haven't had the light come back on since! It's been a ski trip and 1000 miles. I did not end up changing anything else. I checked for leaks and the solenoids/valves were functioning correctly. I will update this thread if the light ever comes back

• 11 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, Beneficial said:

I changed the EVAP Canister and haven't had the light come back on since! It's been a ski trip and 1000 miles. I did not end up changing anything else. I checked for leaks and the solenoids/valves were functioning correctly. I will update this thread if the light ever comes back

I know this is an old topic, I don't know if you noticed but there was a crack in your Evap Canister on the right side of the purge valve where it attaches to the Evap Canister at the 0:28 mark in your video. This too was the case for my leak as well, It seems to be a very common issue as I have seen a few examples of this before. I hope this will help others to narrow this leak down in short order, thanks again for sharing.

Chris.

Edited by CamperDan
  • Like 1