"Not secure" message

PFFlier

Yeah, I got it too, on Safari. It's happened before, I think it's an expired security cert or something. I imagine Redpath will sort it out when he gets a minute. It's annoying how protective browsers get about that sort of thing (mine made me enter my admin password to get in!) but they're probably assuming we're about to send our bank info to North Korean hackers or something.

I had to partially lobotomize Microsoft Entourage a while back to open an attachment it didn't like. Some weird obscure file format. I knew who it was from, and I knew it was fine, but try telling Microsoft that. I found the file with the list of blocked file types, removed them, opened the damn attachment, and felt like a hacker for about five minutes. 

• Like 1

Well, I'm glad it's not not just me.  I finally got through by clicking on advanced then at the bottom it gave me a choice to proceed anyway.  Even though I have added the website to the "allow list" it still blocks it.  Your comment gives me more patience to wait it out for an admin fix.

Thanks.

• Like 1

It's the certifacation that makes web broswers know the site is considered safe. It expired at 3:59 yesterday and at 4:30 I got the message after not getting it that morning. Not a huge deal otherwise, just gonna be annoying for a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
39 minutes ago, RedPath88 said:

And once again we are back to the not-really auto auto-renewal...

SSL has been renewed and restored.

Ha!  We dealt with certs in my last line of work and there was nothing more annoying than a cert not getting renewed.  For the most part, it was my IT guys getting the renewed cert beforehand and just not swapping it out.  Difference there is they were 2-year certs, so an outage always caught us way off-guard.  An expired cert was a total blocker in my line of work, and I could spend hours retrieving and processing missed data as a result once restored, not to mention damage control with multiple clients simultaneously.  Absolutely sucked.

That said, what's with the 3-month certs? Is there another cert authority that the host accepts that last longer, or is that just the CA of choice for the domain host?  Guessing in a perfect world, the 3-month cert isn't a problem if auto-renewal occurs.

20 hours ago, hawairish said:

Ha!  We dealt with certs in my last line of work and there was nothing more annoying than a cert not getting renewed.  For the most part, it was my IT guys getting the renewed cert beforehand and just not swapping it out.  Difference there is they were 2-year certs, so an outage always caught us way off-guard.  An expired cert was a total blocker in my line of work, and I could spend hours retrieving and processing missed data as a result once restored, not to mention damage control with multiple clients simultaneously.  Absolutely sucked.

That said, what's with the 3-month certs? Is there another cert authority that the host accepts that last longer, or is that just the CA of choice for the domain host?  Guessing in a perfect world, the 3-month cert isn't a problem if auto-renewal occurs.

The 3mo cert is a newer feature included with the backend database management software and is free, so I can't really complain to much.

I just need to set a reminder a few days in advance, since the "auto" part of it is clearly not. lol

14 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

The 3mo cert is a newer feature included with the backend database management software and is free, so I can't really complain to much.

I just need to set a reminder a few days in advance, since the "auto" part of it is clearly not. lol

Free’s not bad, but I’d pay twice that for a 6-month cert. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...