Please help

Hi all, new member here. Just saying hi and hopefully find some guidance on changing out a pvc valve. My pathfinder is using oil, going through about a liter of oil every 5 tanks of gas. Hoping it's the pcv valve and nothing else. I understand I need to remove the intake but wondering if I need any special tools or basic tools will get the job done? Thanks for the help.

My dad had a guy do the PCV in his '03, and he said he managed it without pulling the intake, though I'm not sure how and it did not sound like he had fun doing it. I would just pull the manifold. While you're in there, loctite your power valve screws if you haven't yet, and consider replacing the gasket on the idle motor before it fails (leaks coolant into the electronics and fries the computer). I would also order a set of valve cover gaskets while they're easy to get to. I haven't had the VQ intake apart but there's a writeup for doing the valve screws. That should get you most of the way there. The service manual (free download from Nicoclub) has all the torque specs and should also have a walkthrough for disassembly.

The new PCV didn't solve the issue on my dad's rig. It still burned about a quart/1k miles. I never tore it down to find the problem. I've heard some of the early VQs weren't bored right and consequently have enough taper that they Just Do That. Hopefully this isn't the case for yours. Good luck!