Need help 4wd wont switch!

Jacko

I recently bought an 05 pathfinder from auction for cheap, everything on it works great apart from the fact that the four wheel drive wont switch, no light on dash no noise from transfer case motor and the relay wont do anything, please help if you know anything.

I'm not sure how applicable it would be to the Australian model, but I would download the '05 manual from Nicoclub and see if it has troubleshooting info for the transfer case that doesn't require the special scan tool--or if that's useless, look at the wiring diagrams and see where it's supposed to have power vs where it actually does. That should narrow it down if nothing else. That manual for the US model, so wire colors and engine options may vary, but it might give you some idea of what's going on. It's also free.

If it looks like it's had recent work done on it, especially in the dash or engine bay, look carefully around that area for any obvious harness damage. Could be as simple as some muppet not plugging the dial back in after messing with the stereo. 

thanks I'm pretty sure the us and aus model were the same idk if the us got the yd25 model though but I've pretty much gone through the whole wiring harness and repaired it all from the damage, it was really messed with when the last owner did a head unit install but that seems to be all fixed from my knowledge and what i can see in the haynes service manual.

If the dash harness has been hacked up I would check the wiring to the switch first. Work out where each wire goes and make sure it actually gets there. Then re-check any fuses associated with the circuit, could be one blew when the PO shorted something with their electrician's machete. Hopefully they took out a fuse and not a control module or something.

US models got the VQ40. I don't think we ever got the YD over here.

ive checked all the wiring to the witches everything that is supposed to have continuity does apart from the illumination wire but that has been fixed after repairing the wiring to the headunit 

Look for a "location of electrical units" page in the EL section. That should show you where that fuse box is located, and hopefully the underside of the lid identifies which fuse you're after. I would assume underhood, near the battery, but I don't know the R51.