Glove box won't open. Any suggestions?

BlueKrogan

So clearly a mechanism has broke, so when I'm pulling the latch, it won't open regardless if it is locked or not. So I know something needs to be replaced, probably the whole latch assembly. Anyways, any suggestions on how to approach this? Do I just get a screwdriver and pry it open? What's the worst case scenario if I go this route? Would the latch itself just break? 

Also, in some cases manufacturers often reuse certain parts across multiple models, are there any other Nissan models that share the Pathfinder's glove box latch? Seeing if I can making tracking one down a lot easier, and hopefully cheaper.

Edited by BlueKrogan

Before going full gorilla on the latch, I would remove the pegs holding the bottom of the glovebox (at least on the square dash--don't remember how the hinge works on round dash) and see if that gives you any ability to work it around. Might get you enough wiggle room to jimmy it. Worst case, probably better to bust up the lock than to potentially wreck the dash and the glovebox door with the screwdriver.

I may have a glovebox in my parts car, will have to check. 

It's the curvy dash; the pins on the bottom hinges look pretty difficult to mess with. Would removing the corner edge piece of the dash next to the glove box (where the passenger window defrost vent is) do me any favors?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 3:30 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Late reply, but I had a look at the parts car, and I don't think you could get to the top screw for the end cap without busting out part of the glove box.

Is the part that breaks a detachable part at least?

• 2 months later...

Good news, everyone! 

So enough was enough, 2 months later I finally decided to do something about this, and I finally got the glove box open! I think I just pulled down on the damned thing, and it just opened up; it all happened so quick that I really didn't have time to process what just happened lmao. My nose got a light tap in the process, but who cares!

Anyways, I'm really happy about this because I finally got my heater to work! All that happened was the loop from the end of the cable came off the mechanism that changes the temperature, and all I did was just slip it back on! It actually works perfectly going back and forth, but I'm not even going to touch it again until the warm weather is here, since it's a near 30 year old truck, and I don't trust it to hold lol

Anyways, the engine is cold and it's already blowing warm air; I can now finally fully enjoy driving in the winter now! 

I bought a thermostat thinking that was the problem, but I'm really not too broken up over buying it since the engine temperature only goes a quarter of the way, so it needs to be done regardless.

• Like 1

That happened to mine as well, not sure why but mine got stuck on hot instead which sucks in the summer lmao.

These trucks it's normal for the temp gauge to only go up a 1/4 of the way. Take a temp reader at the upper rad host, if it's around 170-180F fully warmed up your thermostat is fine.

ZtqWbL8.jpg

Mine goes a bit lower than adamzan's photo, but yesterday it was at 1/8. I don't know if it was because it was -25 Celsius, or if the heater is now removing the engine's heat.  

Holy hell, near 370 km on the clock!

Edited by BlueKrogan

• 2 weeks later...