The WD21 has 2 styles of HVAC controls?

BlueKrogan

So the cable on my temperature control needs to be replaced, as once you set it to hot, you gotta go through the glove box to change it back to manually move the cable I think. The guy explained it to me, but I digress. Anyways, so this is what mine looks like:

https://i.etsystatic.com/21086180/r/il/18ee0a/3225733434/il_794xN.3225733434_c0o3.jpg

I was thinking it might be easier to just buy a new one as looking for the specific cable and replacing it might be tedious and difficult. (correct me if I'm wrong) After looking for HVAC controls, I come across this one:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RWkAAOSwoclizAji/s-l1600.jpg

Can anyone explain this one to me? It says it fits the 90-95 gen, but it's obviously different from the one I have as the climate zones seem to be electronically controlled via buttons instead of a slider.

Is this off a higher trim model? Could I put this in mine? Is it just plug and play, or is there additional work required to make it operable?

There were indeed two systems. I'm not sure if it was a trim thing or a dealer option or what. My '95 SE didn't have the pushbutton unit, my '93 SE does. The pushbutton unit's reason to exist is the automatic mode, which changes temp and fan speed on its own in response to two temp sensors and a light sensor on the dash. It's a neat piece of engineering to save you from the harsh manual labor of moving a slider a couple of notches now and then. You can adjust the fan speed manually, except that they lost a spot on the slider when they added the auto position, so they wired the three remaining positions to 1, 2, and 4. 

I do like that the slider knobs on the pushbutton version light up, so you can see where they are. Also, I cannot fault its reliability--at 250k, it all seems to work, apart from a little relay chatter when I pass the auto position, and that's probably just dirty contacts on the slide switch. All the same, the next time my dash is out, I'm downgrading to the manual controls off my parts car. 

Swapping from one system to the other not as simple as swapping the head unit, but it has been done. This thread on Infamous should give you some idea of what you're up against.

Your symptoms sound like the cable sheath has come unhooked at one end. You may be able to just snap it back in, or repair a broken clip, and get it working again. If the cable is binding, silicone spray might bring it around. If you do go looking for a replacement cable, make sure the ends attach the same way as yours. I grabbed a manual HVAC head from an early Hardbody a while ago and found that the cables were built and retained differently.

There are definitely two different types of AC for the WD21 and it was trim spacific. During the earlier years there were two trims, the XE and SE. Later on Nissan Added the LE. Cant say if the XE was deleted or not. The two differences was manual and Auto air. I have Auto in my 1993 and i can say its ok. Can you swap from one to another? Dont think so as I feel there are quite a few differences. My suggestion? Just stick with what it came with

On 10/18/2022 at 2:38 AM, Slartibartfast said:

I do like that the slider knobs on the pushbutton version light up, so you can see where they are. Also, I cannot fault its reliability--at 250k, it all seems to work, apart from a little relay chatter when I pass the auto position, and that's probably just dirty contacts on the slide switch. All the same, the next time my dash is out, I'm downgrading to the manual controls off my parts car. 

@SlartibartfastWhen you do this let me know. I'd be glad to buy all of the auto climate control parts off of you.

On 10/21/2022 at 10:36 PM, Frenchy said:

There are definitely two different types of AC for the WD21 and it was trim spacific. During the earlier years there were two trims, the XE and SE. Later on Nissan Added the LE. Cant say if the XE was deleted or not. The two differences was manual and Auto air. I have Auto in my 1993 and i can say its ok. Can you swap from one to another? Dont think so as I feel there are quite a few differences. My suggestion? Just stick with what it came with

So upon further inspection, the climate controls side of the cable is still hooked, so it's from the firewall side :( I'm going to have to fix my glovebox latch first so I can even open it to have better access lol