Keyless Remote Quantity

Mrelcocko

How many remotes can be programmed to a 97 QX4. My doors will lock on there on unless I’m right in thinking someone has a remote programmed other than the 2 I already have programmed.

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus using Tapatalk

I programmed 2 many moons ago but down to one.  There was an instruction booklet that came with the units that explained how to program multiple units (I don't think it gave a number as to how many) which I am sure I lost.  I do remember I had to do program it several times before it worked.

EL-213 in the '97 manual says it'll take up to four. The same page also has the procedure for programming new remotes.

If the last person to program the system programmed in more than two remotes, reprogramming it with just yours would make it forget the other codes. If that doesn't do it, you might try programming in just one remote at a time, to see if one of them has a doppelganger in the neighborhood. I would hope the OE remotes all had different codes, but who knows how the aftermarket remotes are set up.

Or I guess you could walk around the block with your remotes, pressing the panic button on one, then the other, by every late '90s/early '00s Nissan you pass, until you set off someone's car alarm. Might not be the best way to make friends.

That said, it might not be the remotes at all. WD21s are well known for their door locks triggering randomly as they get older. I don't know if R50s do the same thing, but I would not be surprised. If you catch it in the act of locking itself, note whether the corner lights flash at the same time. If the R50 works like the WD21, the lights flash if you lock it with the remote, but not if you trigger the locks manually. If the lights don't flash, you may have an electrical gremlin rather than someone stepping on your remote codes.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CALPATHY said:

I programmed 2 many moons ago but down to one.  There was an instruction booklet that came with the units that explained how to program multiple units (I don't think it gave a number as to how many) which I am sure I lost.  I do remember I had to do program it several times before it worked.

To add, those were aftermarket ones from Amazon.

Sorry, I originally misread the question.  If I remember correctly it will code to the ECU, I am sure there are many different combinations so it would be unlikely that someone has the same code.

Edited by CALPATHY
misread the question

Thanks guys for the responses. Last week I had to change out the rear glass hatch striker mechanism. Remove the back hatch interior cover taking out 2 screws 10mm then just pull fast and hard and it will come right off. Make sure the glass hatch is open so you can fully remove trim piece. Anyway after I installed the used striker I pulled out of a doner Qx4 everything worked fine for a week. Now my back glass hatch switch isn’t working the hatch and the rear wiper is inop. I checked the rear wiper wiring diagram and the hatch glass switch diagram and all fuses relays/amps are good. I can only assume that the reason neither one are working is the control unit I think the Smart Control unit or whichever one it is thinks the back glass is open hence the reason the rear wiper isn’t operating. I know the rear wiper won’t operate if the back glass isn’t shut completely. It doesn’t make since though because it worked for a week now it’s doing this. I also noticed my anti theft security light isn’t blinking like it should when locking all the doors. It’s acting like it isn’t setting the theft system. My lights flash upon locking with the remote but the security light never goes solid for a few seconds then into the flash pattern. It blinks like a door is open all the time. It’s really strange. I had to replace the drivers side door lock mechanism the one inside the door with the rod attachment about 2 years ago and noticed after I done that if I locked with the remote and then used the key to unlock drivers door the alarm would go off. I figured was due to using one from another QX4 is why the alarm would go off when using key in drivers door it wasn’t original mechanism to vehicle but I’m not sure why it would have started doing that. Maybe someone knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 19/9/2022 at 17:11, Mrelcocko said:

¿Cuántos controles remotos se pueden programar en un 97 QX4. Mis puertas se bloquearán allí a menos que tenga razón al pensar que alguien tiene un control remoto programado que no sea el 2 que ya tengo programado.

Enviado desde mi iPhone 8 Plus usando Tapatalk

Hola no hablo inglés, espero puedas traducir esto. ¿Pides tomarle una foto a tu control remoto? 

Likely the car thinks the window is not latched. Could simply be an adjustment issue for the latch, a failure in the switch built into the latch, or the switch wires are shorted together or to ground. I believe it is a normally closed switch that is held open by striker when the window is fully latched closed. 

• 3 weeks later...