97 pathfinder speedometer and odometer not working

Kurtice

Alright y'all, I know this has probably been discussed at length, but after an hour perusing the forum, I can't seem to get a straight answer. As the tilte states, my gauge is not working properly. At highway speeds it will kick on randomly for a little while, but is always about 5-10 mph low. I use a GPS app now as it's been out for a while. I've replaced the wheel speed sensors as well as the transfer case sensor. I keep seeing mention of another sensor on the top of the transmission, but it seems like nobody knows where it's at. I have a 4wd manual SE. I've also pulled the cluster, cleaned and tightened all the screws and inspected the traces. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the cluster. I'm showing 0mph on my scanner when I drive using live data as well, so it looks like the ecu is not showing any speed. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated! I just don't want to keep throwing parts at it if it's a simple fix. I'm not the greatest when it comes to the vehicle wiring side, but if someone could point me in the right direction on a resource I can use, I'm sure I can figure it out eventually. Really appreciate y'all who took the time to read this and help out if you could!

Auto or manual? If it's auto, and it's shifting normally, that would suggest the trans computer knows what's going on even if the engine computer and gauge did not, which might help narrow it down. If it's manual, well, there's that theory shot.

And, yeah, go get the '97 manual from Nicoclub. Should be some troubleshooting or at least a circuit diagram in the EL section. There's a lot of hand-holding for using the special dealer Consult tool, but there's usually an alternate method for the rest of us. If the sensor is good (and so is the gear that drives it), and both the cluster and the computer say they're not seeing anything, that would have me looking for a wiring fault in between them.

• Like 2

@Slartibartfast It is a manual. I went out driving again last night to run a drive cycle and kept an eye on the mph with the live data running on my scanner. When the needle registers, so does the live data. I'm definitely leaning more towards the electrical side as the vehicle is getting up there in age. Just need to determine roughly where the fault is, especially since there are 4 different sensors on it from what I can determine. One at each front wheel, one in the transfer case (those 3 have been replaced already), and one in the top of the trans (more work, haven't done that one yet). I appreciate the direction to the nico website, I'll go see if I can find what I need in there. Needed the drive cycle info anyway as some of my sensors aren't ready after about 70 miles of driving randomly so it has already helped a bit. Thanks again y'all. 

Not sure if it is the same as the wd21 but the wheel speed sensors are only for the ABS. The speed sensor in the transfer case with the gear on it is what drives the speedometer signal.

Your speedo/odo are operated solely by the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) located on the side of the transfer case. If the VSS is giving erratic readings, there's an electrical short or bad electrical connection somewhere either in the VSS wire harness leading to the back of the gauge cluster or there is something faulty with your gauge cluster. The  traces and solder joints have been known to crack or fail over time.

Also, the VSS signal goes first to the gauge cluster, and then it goes to the PCM. So, naturally if there's a bad signal reaching the gauge cluster, the PCM will get the same bad signal.

Edited by XPLORx4

@XPLORx4 I used the manual to check the signal to the cluster from the VSS. It shows roughly .5v to the cluster. There's another step that I'm not sure if I did right. It says to check the resistance between 1 and 2 on the speed sensor connector, I assumed that was the 2 prong connector on the back of the cluster that plugs into that yellow box bolted on the back? I did that test wrong if it was supposed to be tested at the vss to harness connection point under the vehicle. I also tore the entire cluster apart, cleaned everything and completely rebuit it tightening everything down good. I didn't see any obvious failure points, and that fact that it's still sporadic at highway speeds leads me to believe it's still a short somewhere between the vss and the cluster. But again, voltage did come across at .5V..........and now that I typed this all out and went back to look at the diagram, it says replace speedo if signal is good...well ok. Thank you all for the assistance, I will replace the speedometer and see what happens! Side question though. I was checking out speedos on rock auto and I see some are electronic. Since there is no cable I could, in theory, use a digital odometer unit correct? Thanks again!

Bottom half.jpg

New speedo came in today, installed it and, unfortunately, still no signal. Now that I've ruled that out I will need to trace wires and see if I can find the short. This is not something I'm looking forward to!