LR 9447s in the rear with a 2" leveling plate in the front

PeteMcG003

Hey, I'm planning on adding the LR 9447s to the rear of my 00 pathfinder. I bought ****** cheap coils only ~7 months ago and there's already so much sag.  I just had two questions before I begin. 1. I currently have Rancho RS 55391s on which have 24.2" length at full extension. Is that long enough?  2.  I have Monroe quickstruts on the front. If I added a 2" spacer would that level it enough. I'm going with these options for now because I'm a student and I only have the finances for the 9447s right now. 

I use my pathfinder as a daily driver. No super heavy trail use but I do camp with it. I figured the 2" spacer would be fine so just on the road/light trails. 

I do know I have to get a camber kit as well. 

Thanks so much guys, looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Edited by PeteMcG003
Misspell

If I were you I wouldn't do spacers - or even a lift. 

From what I've seen most people that go with spacers at first end up wanting to switch to springs soon after because the ride/handling is so compromised. On top of that with spacers you're changing the entire geometry of the front suspension and running the risk of wearing out your CV Axles.

If this is your daily driver, and you only use it occasionally on light forest roads why lift at all? A lift in general will only make it worse to drive on the street (higher center of gravity resulting in worse cornering/handling & increased rollover risk, decreased gas mileage because of increased coefficient of drag etc.).

Go with a good quality OEM replacement suspension and your Pathfinder will serve your needs extremely well and will be plenty capable tackling your camping trips. 

That's my opinion and welcome yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Oregonian said:

If I were you I wouldn't do spacers - or even a lift. 

From what I've seen most people that go with spacers at first end up wanting to switch to springs soon after because the ride/handling is so compromised. On top of that with spacers you're changing the entire geometry of the front suspension and running the risk of wearing out your CV Axles.

If this is your daily driver, and you only use it occasionally on light forest roads why lift at all? A lift in general will only make it worse to drive on the street (higher center of gravity resulting in worse cornering/handling & increased rollover risk, decreased gas mileage because of increased coefficient of drag etc.).

Go with a good quality OEM replacement suspension and your Pathfinder will serve your needs extremely well and will be plenty capable tackling your camping trips. 

That's my opinion and welcome yours.

I'm assuming due to his complaint of sag, that the reason for installing a lift is to be able to take advantage of stiffer springs in the rear. I agree with your comments though.

@PeteMcG003, if indeed your goal is to get better load carrying capacity in the rear, I would suggest helper air bags. There's a few threads on here about them.

If you do want to go lifted in addition to increasing the load carrying capacity, I would also suggest echo the comment to avoid spacers; lift springs will save you a lot of trouble (CV wear, torn CV boots, having to redo it later, etc.), and they really aren't that hugely much more; probably a difference of ~$100. I'm a student too, so I know the struggle. A 1" spacer would be pretty safe if you feel that route is most appropriate to you.

Another option would be to just get the rear LR springs and leave the front stock. They'll cheaply increase your load carrying capacity and begin moving you towards lifting the vehicle. The ride height difference will likely be something you can live with. A bit of rake on a SUV isn't uncommon anyways; a 4th gen 4Runner has ~2" of rake from the factory. If you frequently haul stuff in the back the weight will help keep the rake minimized anyways. Plus, you'll avoid having to deal with camber bolts and funky alignments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

I'm assuming due to his complaint of sag, that the reason for installing a lift is to be able to take advantage of stiffer springs in the rear. I agree with your comments though.

@PeteMcG003, if indeed your goal is to get better load carrying capacity in the rear, I would suggest helper air bags. There's a few threads on here about them.

If you do want to go lifted in addition to increasing the load carrying capacity, I would also suggest echo the comment to avoid spacers; lift springs will save you a lot of trouble (CV wear, torn CV boots, having to redo it later, etc.), and they really aren't that hugely much more; probably a difference of ~$100. I'm a student too, so I know the struggle. A 1" spacer would be pretty safe if you feel that route is most appropriate to you.

Another option would be to just get the rear LR springs and leave the front stock. They'll cheaply increase your load carrying capacity and begin moving you towards lifting the vehicle. The ride height difference will likely be something you can live with. A bit of rake on a SUV isn't uncommon anyways; a 4th gen 4Runner has ~2" of rake from the factory. If you frequently haul stuff in the back the weight will help keep the rake minimized anyways. Plus, you'll avoid having to deal with camber bolts and funky alignments.

I suppose that's true - I took it as he replaced the rear with cheap replacement springs and they are already sagging/worn without a load. 

OP - Are you able to clarify if you are sagging without a load, or sagging when loaded with camping gear/trailer/etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 9:52 PM, The_Oregonian said:

I suppose that's true - I took it as he replaced the rear with cheap replacement springs and they are already sagging/worn without a load. 

OP - Are you able to clarify if you are sagging without a load, or sagging when loaded with camping gear/trailer/etc.?

Yes its sagging without load to the point where the back end is just pretty much riding on the bump stops

2 hours ago, PeteMcG003 said:

Yes its sagging without load to the point where the back end is just pretty much riding on the bump stops

Got it. I'm surprised they settled like that so quickly. It may be worth letting us know what brand of spring you got so others can steer clear...

My advice (as I detailed in my first response) would be go with a high quality OEM replacement springs. I don't think a lift will be worth it for your use-case. 

Hi Pete.  I would get the 9447's.  They are dirt cheap from LR Direct and if you are regularly hitting the bump stops, they will likely give you about 3" of lift.   Live with the added rake, it shouldn't hurt anything other than you'll have to adjust your headlights... 

Also look for Febest bump stops online if your stops are toast.  And check your trailing arms- those bushings are likely in rough shape as well.

Ask me how I know...

(it was mainly Chilliwack area "light" logging roads that accelerated the decline of my rear suspension and led to all the work detailed above-there's something truly terrifying about Chilliwack area potholes, washboard and cross ditching...)