Rear Tire Carrier

Hey Fam,

I have two Rear Tire Carriers recently pulled from a junk yard. I pulled all the hardware as well. Was wondering if there is any interest in these things still? Figured with the r50 build wave they might be sought after but who knows?!

Carrier #1). - pic -- Looks like the red pathfinders tire carrier in this google search 

From what I think was a 93 pathfinder (label in the junkyard was definitely wrong bc it said 97) It looked like a 90-95 pathfinder. The carrier's mounting brackets are slightly more square due to the body style of the 90-95 pathfinders compared to the 96-02's. All hardware included. OEM locking lug nuts included. The pathfinder looked just like this

Carrier #2). - picture -- Looks like the black pathfinders tire carrier in this thread

From an 02 pathfinder. In theory, it would fit any 96-02. All hardware included.

I'd like to mount the 02 carrier to my 99 Qx4, however I don't think it's possible to have a rear mounted mountain bike rack AND a rear tire carrier. What do you all think? I'd like to keep my mountain bike storage on the rear end of the truck since it's mostly unused space. The roof racks make your truck crazy tall and inside is where I sleep. Just throwing all this out into the internet cosmos lookin for ideas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carl_99QX4_yeww said:

Hey Fam,

I have two Rear Tire Carriers recently pulled from a junk yard. I pulled all the hardware as well. Was wondering if there is any interest in these things still? Figured with the r50 build wave they might be sought after but who knows?!

Carrier #1). - pic -- Looks like the red pathfinders tire carrier in this google search 

From what I think was a 93 pathfinder (label in the junkyard was definitely wrong bc it said 97) It looked like a 90-95 pathfinder. The carrier's mounting brackets are slightly more square due to the body style of the 90-95 pathfinders compared to the 96-02's. All hardware included. OEM locking lug nuts included. The pathfinder looked just like this

Carrier #2). - picture -- Looks like the black pathfinders tire carrier in this thread

From an 02 pathfinder. In theory, it would fit any 96-02. All hardware included.

I'd like to mount the 02 carrier to my 99 Qx4, however I don't think it's possible to have a rear mounted mountain bike rack AND a rear tire carrier. What do you all think? I'd like to keep my mountain bike storage on the rear end of the truck since it's mostly unused space. The roof racks make your truck crazy tall and inside is where I sleep. Just throwing all this out into the internet cosmos lookin for ideas. 

I use a kuat pivot v2 swing arm. Since you have the steel version you could weld a receiver on it to accept your bike rack. The rack is plenty strong to hold the weight. That would eliminate the need for any additional accessories .

11 hours ago, Carl_99QX4_yeww said:

Another alternative is to use a hitch extension. I used to use one with my R50+tire carrier all the time with a folding storage platform. 

Edited by zakzackzachary
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so update:

Carrier #1: 

I've been informed that this tire swing only fits WD21 pathfinders (pre-1996)

Carrier #2:

Confirmed, this tire swing will fit any 96-04 pathfinder. 

Thanks r50JR and ZackZack. I've been toying with the swing arm + hitch extension combo with the mounted tire swing. Seems like it'd work super well and come out clean, however definitely not cheap. If anyone knows of someone looking for a WD21 tire swing, send them my way! I'd sell this thing for real cheap, just need it gone at this point haha. Thanks team, send questions my way if needed. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update:

Both Tire Carriers have been sold. Glad I was able to save them from the scrap yard and they're going to good use! In the meantime, I have an r50 OEM brushguard for sale as well. Asking $150, it's in great shape and I believe is aluminum (based on the weight - it's slightly lighter than it looks however not 100% sure). Contact me if you or someone you know is interested, open to shipping however buyer will pay shipping costs. 

- Carl (310)469-8971

• Like 1