2008 Nissan Pathfinder will not go into gear

Hi, I used to post on here all the time when I had my 1994 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4, but I sold it a few years back. This has always been a wonderful forum with great advice, and I could use some of that advice now.

I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE with 134,000 miles on it. I have owned the Pathfinder for 8 years and never had any problem with it at all. It has been very well maintained. I was driving the Pathfinder yesterday put it in gear and hit the road. The transmission shifts great and I always have always had the fluid and filter changed.  I made a stop yesterday (the second one of the day )and when I come out of the store I went to put the Pathfinder in Reverse and it would not do anything. The gear leaver felt loose like a linkage broke (if these models have linkages). I would put it in each gear indicator on the dashboard never moves out of Park. Like I said the gear shifter felt very loose.

I messed with it for a while and I ended up having to call a tow truck to get it back home. I am a dyi person. I have not even jacked it up yet or scanned the internet. This is the first place I come to. I don't know if these transmissions have a linkage or if it is all electronically controlled. No lights came on the dash.

If you have any ideas, comments, etc please let me know.

Thank You,

brc