Thorley headers

AIIZEE

Slick, did you see any mpg gains or losses with your headers? You're probably making more hp but dropped some torque with your header-flow master combo. Correct? My Pacesetter-flowmaster combo made a noticable change in hp and a drop in torque. My milage did pick back up to 19-20 from 17-18 range. Granted tires, driving habits and a multitude of other things play into fuel economy. I'm just curious on the performance differences between the header manufacturers all else being equal.

Thanks

Mike

Yes, I got considerable HP gain and gas mileage. It doesn't seem to have affected my torque. I gained about 25hp, and my gas mileage went from 8-12mpg to 15-18 (depending on driving conditions ...and my mood..hehe).... They are WELL WORTH the expense indeed. :contract: :aok:

I wonder how much HP I'll get with the headers and cams?

:cool2:

May have to get that air intake, new CAT and chip! It's only money right? :aok:

Edited by wheel366

I guess the best thing is that if I had lost any power due to the engine being old, not taken care of, I should get it all back plus some since I'm putting new heads in and have had new rings to get the compression right. It will just be nice to have my darn truck back.

The downside of the chip is that they tell me it's programmed for 93 octane.

Another thing I do with EVERY oil change, is add a can of RESTORE with my new oil. I have been using it for several years, on 3 different trucks (not all Nissans) and I swear by the stuff. ;)

:( I wish I could upgrade the cams...but then I wouldn't pass smog...then I wouldn't be able to drive the Pathy on the street... then I would DIE. LOL

I was talking to the guy a Jim Wolf and he said that they were able to pass emisions with the cams. Here is a quote from the email

Although our JWT S1 and S2 cams are not officially CARB certified as an emission legal part, we have seen some Pathfinder owners use the S1 version and still pass emissions in Californa.

Slick - does your pathy have TBI or MPFI?

My TBI baaaarely passes tailpipe emissions now, so I am hesitant to try cams. But if you have the later port fuel injection, I would bet serious money that you can use quite a bit hotter cams and still pass smog tests with no problem (unless you were a complete idiot and told the smog station you swapped cams...). Remember, the 300ZX used the same basic engine with hotter cams and they still pass just fine.

And if you swapped the entire 300ZX system in (engine, computer, and all sensors), you could take it to referee station and even get it legally blessed and smogged as a 300ZX. That's my plan for my pathy when (if?) the stock engine ever wears out.

Basically, if the proper amount of fuel is being injected, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the engine, the cam timing is not too wild (a lot of overlap will cause HC emissions to skyrocket), and the cat is functioning, you will have no problem passing the tailpipe sniffer test. Just keep it looking stock and walk on through.

My van is going from a pathetically anemic POS 305 to a rip snortin' 383 with much more than double the torque and HP. I haven't had it tested yet, but I am quite confident it will pass. The O2 sensor output shows the engine is burning extremely clean, even at idle. I'm now in the process now of getting the induction system to look stock.

Guest 95 PathFinder

Sorry for the interruption but will the Thorley Headers fit will a lift kit on?

Thanks.

Well, I'm about to get the ehaders installed FINALLY! I do have a question though. When the stock oil filter is on, you always spill some oil on the starter when changing the oil. Does anyone recommend replacing the starter before I put the headers on? Also, should I have my guy change the lower balljoints since he has the fron diff off? I hear the the NAPA lower BJ are really good?

88 what are your thoughts?

The headers also block easy access to the oil filter. I had a hard time pulling the filter out between the header pipe and the frame rail after they were put on. An oil filter relocation kit solves that problem.

Here's a write up and pics of the kit on MaritimeMan's truck.

IMHO, if the starter still works well I wouldn't bother replacing it.

yeah, I got the relocation kit already. Still haven't installed it yet, but now I'm waiting for some parts from Nissan.

We're getting closer to getting it done!

When I changed my clutch, I saw how crapped up the starter was, so I pulled it and used 2 cans of brake/electrical cleaner to flush it out completely... I'd say if you are right there, may as well do that...

B

I was talking to the guy a Jim Wolf and he said that they were able to pass emisions with the cams. Here is a quote from the email

Although our JWT S1 and S2 cams are not officially CARB certified as an emission legal part, we have seen some Pathfinder owners use the S1 version and still pass emissions in Californa.

see...it's the "SOME" part I don't like..... I would be one of the "not" people knowing my luck!