Turn/hazard signals out.

Turn signals are out on my 91 pathy.

The arrows on the dash don't flash, and same when I try my hazards. When I turn on my headlights the same lights in the front still come on. Checked the fuses, don't seem to be the issue. Also changed the flasher relay, wasn't it either. The turn signal switch still allows me to turn on the headlights. What could the issue be? (I am a total beginner when it comes to electrical.)

Edited by Jeremiah123

So your rear lights are out?  If so, it's most likely (99%) the turn signal/headlight  switch on the column.  Take it off and clean the connections.  However, if you don't want to fuss with it buy a new one.  The ones without cruise control are fairly cheap.  I have a spare that does not have the cruise connection, still works fine, just has the connector for the lights.   I never use cruise on the truck anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

bought a switch and switched it out, super easy to take out. Unfortunately, it was not the switch. should I check the headlight circuits next? Where is the location for the circuit?

The turn signals are fed through the Hazard switch.  I have never had problems with a hazard switch in the Pathfinder, but I would check to see if that is the culprit.  Key on,  12V at the switch, etc..   I don't have a wiring diagram or FSM in front of me, but there should be a procedure to follow.  I'll take a look when I get a chance.

If the hazards don't work either, you can rule out the headlight switch.

+1 on the turn signals going through the hazard switch. I worked on a clapped-out VW a while back where the turn signals didn't work unless the hazard switch was in just the right spot.

Fuses were a good place to start, but brake and turn are fused individually, so both would have to be bad. This is not impossible, but assuming both issues started at once, you probably have one fault causing both. The flasher unit is shared, so that would've been my next check.

I've got the '90 service manual up and there's a diagram of the hazards and turn signals on EL-48. You can download this free from cardiagn.com. I can suggest some things to check, but you will need a test light or a voltmeter, and a piece of thin wire you can wrap around one lead to get down into electrical plugs for testing.

To be clear: are the turn signal lights on the dash coming on but not flashing, or are they not coming on at all?

• Like 1

Good call on the online manuals, thought those were gone for good.  You indicated that you checked the relay, etc., but I would start with fuses, relay again, and test this combo switch under the dash. 

ExtLampgif.gif

On 3/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, Steve_RI said:

Good call on the online manuals, thought those were gone for good.  You indicated that you checked the relay, etc., but I would start with fuses, relay again, and test this combo switch under the dash. 

ExtLampgif.gif

I tried this out, wasn't it. I'm thinking SlartiBartFast is onto something because right when they went out my hazard switch also broke. As in, i took it out and the plastic piece broke. Maybe when the hazard switch breaks, the turn signals don't work either? trying to find another switch that would fit because all OEM switches are 60-70 dollars.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:51 AM, Slartibartfast said:

If the hazards don't work either, you can rule out the headlight switch.

+1 on the turn signals going through the hazard switch. I worked on a clapped-out VW a while back where the turn signals didn't work unless the hazard switch was in just the right spot.

Fuses were a good place to start, but brake and turn are fused individually, so both would have to be bad. This is not impossible, but assuming both issues started at once, you probably have one fault causing both. The flasher unit is shared, so that would've been my next check.

I've got the '90 service manual up and there's a diagram of the hazards and turn signals on EL-48. You can download this free from cardiagn.com. I can suggest some things to check, but you will need a test light or a voltmeter, and a piece of thin wire you can wrap around one lead to get down into electrical plugs for testing.

To be clear: are the turn signal lights on the dash coming on but not flashing, or are they not coming on at all?

they are not coming in at all.

Yeah, they won't work at all if the hazard switch is borked. The plastic does get fragile. I see a few WD21 hazard switches on eBay for $30 used. Try searching D21 if WD21 doesn't pull much up. There are a few styles, though, so make sure you get the rocker version for the square dash rather than the round-dash push switch or the weird early pickup one.

10 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Yeah, they won't work at all if the hazard switch is borked. The plastic does get fragile. I see a few WD21 hazard switches on eBay for $30 used. Try searching D21 if WD21 doesn't pull much up. There are a few styles, though, so make sure you get the rocker version for the square dash rather than the round-dash push switch or the weird early pickup one.

Would the Wd21 fit my 91? they look different from the one original in my car, I don't care how it looks just if it works.

• 1 month later...

Okay sorry for the late reply. Bought a new hazard switch off of ebay. My hazards are back on but the turn signals are still out, no outside or inside indication.

• 1 month later...