Suggestions for upgraded coil springs

xeurom

Hi all, 

Thanks for having me here. 

I have 2001 Nissan Pathfinder that I bought since new and it is in great shape mechanically. The suspension on the other hand feels tired. The body tend to sway too much. I have replaced the shock and struts once about 8 years ago. Though they are not showing sign of leaking, I guess the other components need replacements such as springs, trailing arms, front control arms, and bushings. I am planning a major overhaul of the suspension with new components. 

Struts - I bought KYB Excel G

Shocks - Bilstein 5100

Front CV shafts - bought Cardone 66-6185 New CV Axle since the boots have ripped for a while now. 

Bushing: planning to use polyurethane 

I do not go off road. I just want to get a firm stable ride like when it was new. May be a little firmer than stock. Therefore, I would prefer not have any lift. If any amount of lift, I would prefer that it does not mess up the alignment beyond the point that alignment can correct. 

Could you please suggest a set of rear and front coil springs I can go with? I have done a lot of searching in this forum but post I found are related to lift of 2 in. 

I found OME springs that claim 0.5 lift, but I also found posts in this forum stating these springs are actually resulting in 2 in lift, which requires spacer etc. which is beyond my understanding. 

Also, I live in orange county California. Any recommendation of shop that can provide solid service and consultation?

Many Thanks in advance !!!!

I put AC 2 inch lift springs on mine many years ago and I got closer to 3.

As I remember at that time at least, OME offered a half inch lift, and a 1.5 inch lift.

Both were commonly considered softer that AC springs, and usually netted about 0.5 lift over advertised. But that's starting from old tired springs. I bet from factory fresh it's closer to the true rating. Any of those posts you saw did they try to measure ride height to factory specs in the FSM?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The springs referenced in these posts are spec'ed at 0.5 in lift, yet these members report anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 in lift. Therefore, I am hesitant using them to maintain closed to stock height. 

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/30428-show-me-your-ome-lifts/?do=findComment&comment=576763

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/30839-which-suspension-lift-should-i-get/?do=findComment&comment=584787

The OME 2928 coil spring often nets lift in the range of 1.5" of lift when first installed, as its a spring that's designed to provide 0.5" of lift when paired with a heavier aftermarket steel bumper and winch. Putting a 2928 on a stock pathfinder is what causes the coil to lift 1.5" instead of 0.5". The OME 2923 is the same idea, but under a lighter load than the 2928. Other than buying stock replacement coils off of rockauto or wherever else, the OME 2923 coil will be the lowest lifting option for you. I'm not very familiar with exactly how much lift people get out of this coil when put on a stock vehicle, but I would guess about 0.75-1".

Here's a good resource on the OME coils and a decent place to buy them from: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/Nissan-pathfinder-coil-springs-R50.html

If your springs are currently shot, you may be sitting well below stock height. If you went with the OME 2923 and also got a set of their medium duty rear coils (OME 2922) that might be a good solution for keeping the vehicle level and riding good. OME makes great springs.

Otherwise, take a gamble on some stock-replacement coils. I do not know a reputable or well-liked brand for stock replacement springs, perhaps others do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PathyDude17 said:

The OME 2928 coil spring often nets lift in the range of 1.5" of lift when first installed, as its a spring that's designed to provide 0.5" of lift when paired with a heavier aftermarket steel bumper and winch. Putting a 2928 on a stock pathfinder is what causes the coil to lift 1.5" instead of 0.5". The OME 2923 is the same idea, but under a lighter load than the 2928. Other than buying stock replacement coils off of rockauto or wherever else, the OME 2923 coil will be the lowest lifting option for you. I'm not very familiar with exactly how much lift people get out of this coil when put on a stock vehicle, but I would guess about 0.75-1".

Here's a good resource on the OME coils and a decent place to buy them from: https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/Nissan-pathfinder-coil-springs-R50.html

If your springs are currently shot, you may be sitting well below stock height. If you went with the OME 2923 and also got a set of their medium duty rear coils (OME 2922) that might be a good solution for keeping the vehicle level and riding good. OME makes great springs.

Otherwise, take a gamble on some stock-replacement coils. I do not know a reputable or well-liked brand for stock replacement springs, perhaps others do. 

Thanks

Tyler knows what he’s talking about & I agree completely. You might find that you don’t mind a little bit of lift. I have a 2002 Pathfinder that I bought new & have now notably modified. On the other hand, I also recently bought a 2002 QX4 which I want to keep OEM+.

It has new KYB Excel G struts & new ARB OME HD springs in the front & used ARB OME MD springs with used Bilstein 5100s in the rear. It’s near level. I feel the front might be a tiny bit higher - if so, it could be due to the HD springs up front or that the MD springs in the rear are a little tired from hauling[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] trailer around for a couple years. (To be fair, everywhere I say “I “, it probably should be “we”, as he has helped me on virtually everything.)

I’ll note I did need to use camber bolts on the Q with KYB-G struts. My Pathy with the same ARB OME HD springs but ARB struts instead did not require camber bolts; however, the Pathy has a 100# bumper on front. I think[mention=41900]Pathydude17[/mention] suggestion of a MD front spring would be a good choice for your goals. You should not need spacers on the suspension & you won’t need them on the wheel if you stay less than 31” tire diameter.

I also replaced all my rear bushings with SuperPro poly from AC/4x4 parts.

I drove my Pathy new & I have around 140K in the seat of an R50. The Q really drives wonderfully-definitely better than stock but in a refined, comfortable way. The Q’s lift is really minimal & suits it well. I’ll put on new Toyo AT3s this year but I intend to do “skinnies” to keep them within the fenders & a diameter no greater than about 30.5” so that the spare will fit underneath with my OEM hitch.

Finally, I would encourage you to be open to some light offroading. These trucks are amazingly capable. I drove my Pathy stock over most of the CO passes as well as around the White Rim Trail & all over the SW. I traveled carefully as I was often remote & solo. My goal was to explore but I avoided body damage at all cost as I simply couldn’t afford it & I wanted my truck to look nice. You can treat your truck gently & still have some inspiring outdoor adventures.

OME Springs

Heavy Duty 2928 110-220# Spring Rate

Medium Duty 2923 50-110# Spring Rate

Light Duty 2921

Rear Medium Duty (2922)

ARB 5d36dfd3cbc203116f6cbaa8b8550d9c.jpg

48d9c443e7767a035c1cb048d2fa58c8.jpg

I tried to get NTB to assemble my strut packages because the AC springs were just bending my compressor but not compressing. The rest of the job I did myself.

It's a long story but they were dismissive of me trying to tell them the above. They did it wrong and I had to get someone to redo that.

At first they told me they could only do the full install, and it still makes me mad they would have done it wrong and I might not have known.

Those power screws are confirmed only on the auto tranny engines. I know most are. Mine happened to be a manual, just in case yours is too - nothing to worry about in that case.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Tyler knows what he’s talking about & I agree completely. You might find that you don’t mind a little bit of lift. I have a 2002 Pathfinder that I bought new & have now notably modified. On the other hand, I also recently bought a 2002 QX4 which I want to keep OEM+.

It has new KYB Excel G struts & new ARB OME HD springs in the front & used ARB OME MD springs with used Bilstein 5100s in the rear. It’s near level. I feel the front might be a tiny bit higher - if so, it could be due to the HD springs up front or that the MD springs in the rear are a little tired from hauling[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] trailer around for a couple years. (To be fair, everywhere I say “I “, it probably should be “we”, as he has helped me on virtually everything.)

I’ll note I did need to use camber bolts on the Q with KYB-G struts. My Pathy with the same ARB OME HD springs but ARB struts instead did not require camber bolts; however, the Pathy has a 100# bumper on front. I think[mention=41900]Pathydude17[/mention] suggestion of a MD front spring would be a good choice for your goals. You should not need spacers on the suspension & you won’t need them on the wheel if you stay less than 31” tire diameter.

I also replaced all my rear bushings with SuperPro poly from AC/4x4 parts.

I drove my Pathy new & I have around 140K in the seat of an R50. The Q really drives wonderfully-definitely better than stock but in a refined, comfortable way. The Q’s lift is really minimal & suits it well. I’ll put on new Toyo AT3s this year but I intend to do “skinnies” to keep them within the fenders & a diameter no greater than about 30.5” so that the spare will fit underneath with my OEM hitch.

Finally, I would encourage you to be open to some light offroading. These trucks are amazingly capable. I drove my Pathy stock over most of the CO passes as well as around the White Rim Trail & all over the SW. I traveled carefully as I was often remote & solo. My goal was to explore but I avoided body damage at all cost as I simply couldn’t afford it & I wanted my truck to look nice. You can treat your truck gently & still have some inspiring outdoor adventures.

OME Springs

Heavy Duty 2928 110-220# Spring Rate

Medium Duty 2923 50-110# Spring Rate

Light Duty 2921

Rear Medium Duty (2922)

ARB 

Thank you for sharing your set up, especially with the QX4. It hits the spot for me and make me feel comfortable going with the OME MD for front and rear. You are correct, I do appreciate a little of lift by .5 - 1 in.  

I bought the KYB Excel -G already. Could you please elaborate on this statement: I’ll note I did need to use camber bolts on the Q with KYB-G struts . Could you share the details what I need to buy and do ?

Sway bar bushings: I have been shopping for poly bushings. Interestingly, there are quite a wide range of sizes 18-27 mm and they are all marked suitable for 97-05 R50 pathfinders. I have measured the sway bars (front 27mm, Rear 16mm). Different sites suggest different sizes and some are different than the sway bard sizes I have measured, so I am nervous about buying and only to realize they are the wrong size after I have pulled the sway bars off. Could you please share the links to the bushing you bought if you can still find the order?

Thanks so much!!!

Traveling today -I can get it together along with the sway bar links I bought & I’m happy with - they’ll go on my Pathy next.

I’m not an expert on Polyurethane but I’ve gathered enough info to know there’s a notable & predictable difference in the firmness & quality of different brands. I’m always in favor of value so I looked elsewhere but ultimately came to the conclusion based on the advice if those more knowledgeable than myself that the SuperPro at AC/Automotive Customizers/4x4 parts are the best choice. I have a personal distaste for the company as I don’t generally feel they give good value (especially on shipping) & I very much dislike that their springs are a complete unknown-simply bought on faith (though now with a reasonable track record). So, it’s saying something that the Lion’s share of my poly-for both trucks-is from them. The split trailing arm bushings are incredibly easy to install.

Regarding alignment & struts. I have no idea if this is generally true but my experience was that the Pathy with ARB OME HD springs & struts & a 100# bumper (now 170# with the winch) tracked perfectly after the install whereas the Q with ARB OME HD springs & KYB Excel-G struts had visible camber & somewhat frightening oversteer. I didn’t need camber bolts on the Pathy but they solved my problem on the Q (they’re listed above)

Actually, I guess I have my notes right here:

SUSPENSION

FRONT:

KYB Excel-G Strut, Front Left, 4WD [335033] $57.79

KYB Excel-G Strut, Front Right, 4WD [335032] $57.79

KYB Strut Bellow [sB129] $21.60($10.80 x2)

Moog Stabilizer Bar End Link / Bushing, Rear 4WD [K80435] $34.84($17.42x2)

Moog Stabilizer Bar End Link / Bushing, Front [K90659] $34.64($17.32x2)

Both links have zerts & are greasable (2 in front, 1 in rear)

$ 263.50($ -$10.33 5% Discount+$42.99s+$24.18t)@RockAuto

Pathfinder Front Center Sway Bar Bushing Kit [sPPUPFCSBB] $22.50

Unable to get ARB Old Man Emu Struts N145S(L) & N146 $210

N146S out of stock nationally - 2 arriving 9/10/21

ARB Brake Line Clips $19.70@Desert Rat

Specialty Products Company 81260 Alignment Kit $20.36($18.49+$1.87) 8/5/12

Adjustable to +/- 1.75*Camber

REAR:

Reconditioned 2002 Pathfinder LE Rear Trailing arms & panhard

Complete Split Design Trailing Arm Bushing Kit [sPACTRBSH96PFWBCOM] $222.00

Pathfinder Rear Pan Hard Rod Bushings [sPPER50PHRBUSH]

+ Pan Hard Rod Bolt Kit which replaces Factory Bolt (+$7)$72.00

Pathfinder Rear Center Sway Bar Bushings [sPAC96CSBBUSH] $19.50

$410.63($351+$59.63s)@Automotive Customizers(AC), 4x4Parts

Nolethane REV006.0028 Black Sway Bar Link Bushing (Front) $23.41+t

ARB OME Heavy Load Spring (110-220#) [2928] 0.5" Lift $167@Desert Rat

Nissan Seat-Rubber, Front Spring [540340W020] $12.05x4

Nissan Seat-Rubber, Front Spring [540340W010] $10.46x4

Ordered 8, received 3(2x540340W020 & 1 540340W010

If you can replace the front A-Arm bushings with poly (from AC), it will have a very nice effect; however, @‘02_Pathy & [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] both report it’s a bitch - especially to remove the old ones. Consequently, I own the bushings but haven’t gotten around to it yet (that’s a common theme for me).

Removing the rear trailing arm & panhard bushings is also a bear. I reconditioned my Pathy ones for the Q. I was able to get a shop guy to do it off the books after hours, otherwise it was prohibitively expensive.[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] pressed in my panhard bushings. The split bushings from AC were easy as pie to install. Oh, definitely buy the bolts - removing your rear trailing arms inevitably requires cutting some & is a notably difficult job. Again, I was fortunate to have the experience & skill of [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] to remove mine on both trucks - it is not a job I could have realistically done myself. Also, if you assemble the front springs yourself, get the new style compressor - they’re far easier & safer to use & even a newbie can do it safely (me).

(This is just an example I pulled off Amazon: 8MILELAKE Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Kit Interchangeable Fork Coil Extractor Tool Set https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DP2CDJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_XXHDT3RE4W5RY2Y2G4RV)

16 hours ago, RainGoat said:

SUSPENSION

FRONT:

Unable to get ARB Old Man Emu Struts N145S(L) & N146http://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji2400.png $210

REAR:

Nolethane REV006.0028 Black Sway Bar Link Bushing (Front) $23.41+t https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY71J38/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apip_rJZ7Fgcefsl4C

$122.44($90.09+$32.40) https://partsouq.com/

https://partsouq.com/peek/MW5aeVJiUG43NnJUVXpTV2p1WXZiZz09/Order-Success:352003

($63.27($12.05x2 + $10.46+$28.71s) refunded $57.17

Nolethane REV006.0028 Black Sway Bar Link Bushing (Front) $23.41+t https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY71J38/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apip_

Nolathane REV006.0028 Black Sway... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY71J38?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

If you can replace the front A-Arm bushings with poly (from AC), it will have a very nice effect; however, @‘02_Pathy & [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] both report it’s a bitch - especially to remove the old ones. Consequently, I own the bushings but haven’t gotten around to it yet (that’s a common theme for me).

Removing the rear trailing arm & panhard bushings is also a bear. I reconditioned my Pathy ones for the Q. I was able to get a shop guy to do it off the books after hours, otherwise it was prohibitively expensive.[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] pressed in my panhard bushings. The split bushings from AC were easy as pie to install. Oh, definitely buy the bolts - removing your rear trailing arms inevitably requires cutting some & is a notably difficult job. Again, I was fortunate to have the experience & skill of [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] to remove mine on both trucks - it is not a job I could have realistically done myself. Also, if you assemble the front springs yourself, get the new style compressor - they’re far easier & safer to use & even a newbie can do it safely (me).

(This is just an example I pulled off Amazon: 8MILELAKE Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Kit Interchangeable Fork Coil Extractor Tool Set https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DP2CDJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_XXHDT3RE4W5RY2Y2G4RV)

You did everything I want to do so thanks for sharing again. The embedded links to the parts do not show correctly. I sent you a DM.

• Like 1

FYI, I don’t see the DM. There are really only 2 Amazon links there - both work for me but you can just type the description into Amazon & it should pull them up. I note the Nolethane poly for the sway bar links has a “like new” for only $14. You’ll only really need 4/truck (as opposed to the 8 in a pack) so I’d buy that in a heartbeat. The links I had came with bushings but we liked these better. I also reused the OEM link washers that went next to the bushing because we liked the way it “cupped” the bushing better.

In viewing it again I noted it was missing some of the strut rebuild stuff so I pulled that off the Pathy’s notes (hence the ARB struts). There’s some debate regarding KYB &/or other aftermarket strut bearing failures so, personally, I’d buy the OEM strut bearing. I also reused the OEM top hat instead of the aftermarket one. My OEM original still looked to be in good condition & it has that spacer welded onto the top hat - as you’ll see on the pics above. Not having a spacer at all will lead to strut failure - we’ve seen it 2-3 times so far. For OEM parts definitely shop around, one I figure in tax & shipping it always seems to be a different site than last time that has the best deal.

Post a pic or two as you go along…

ARB Old Man Emu Struts N145S(L) & N146S® $210/@4WP/Desert Rat

OEM Replacement Parts

Strut Bearing [54325-5V000] $48.54=$24.27x2

Spring Seat [54034-0W000] $45.42=$22.71x2

Bellows & Bump Stop [54050-0W002] $38.86=$19.43x2

Did NOT use: Upper Seat Rubber Bumper (NOT rubber) [qx4] $22.50=$11.25x2

$173.17 ($155.32+$17.85s) infinitipartsdeal.com

On 2/17/2022 at 10:24 PM, RainGoat said:

SUSPENSION

FRONT:

Unable to get ARB Old Man Emu Struts N145S(L) & N146http://emoji.tapatalk-cdn.com/emoji2400.png $210

REAR:

Nolethane REV006.0028 Black Sway Bar Link Bushing (Front) $23.41+t https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY71J38/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apip_rJZ7Fgcefsl4C

$122.44($90.09+$32.40) https://partsouq.com/

https://partsouq.com/peek/MW5aeVJiUG43NnJUVXpTV2p1WXZiZz09/Order-Success:352003

($63.27($12.05x2 + $10.46+$28.71s) refunded $57.17

Nolethane REV006.0028 Black Sway Bar Link Bushing (Front) $23.41+t https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY71J38/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apip_

Nolathane REV006.0028 Black Sway... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XY71J38?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You did everything I want to do so thanks for sharing again. The embedded links to the parts do not show correctly. I sent you a DM.

• 6 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 12:42 AM, RainGoat said:

Two import things to know with the front suspension. Also, fix your Power Valves if you haven’t already

562af233df142278d0be4c43b4e32e71.jpg

f32bb318233ed909904883857b10cc28.jpg

Is this KYB SM5329 Kit supposed to come with that spacer? I just got my two kits today and neither has the metal spacer in it... 😮

KybstrutMount.jpg.8479f431c42ec15971653dbf259de53e.jpg