Rocky Road Sliders

The_Oregonian

Hey all,

So I've done some searching around the forum and have seen some mixed reviews of the Rocky Road sliders - https://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinder-rock-sliders.html but haven't seen any recent posts about them. Is there anyone on the forum currently running them, or that has direct experience?

My situation is that I do not have garage space (street parking only) nor the skills/tools/welding experience to do a weld-on slider myself so I would have to both find and pay a welder to do it - which is why I'm gravitating more toward a bolt-on solution that I am confident I can tackle. Additionally I'm far from a hardcore rock-crawler so getting sliders for me is for some additional peace of mind in tackling more difficult trails so I don't have to worry as much about damaging anything. Because of this I don't really anticipate slamming the sliders on rocks from a couple of feet etc. and my thought is maybe the bolt-on sliders would be enough for any incidental contact with rocks, downed branches etc. with the additional benefit of easier access to the roof rack. 

Any advice here is welcome!

Edited by The_Oregonian
  • Like 1

I just received my order for the super slider version (bolt-on of course) earlier this week. I'll post once I install them. This would be my second time getting this. I had a 97 years back and sold it. Now I have a 2002.

Once I feel confident in my welding skills I'll cut the brackets and weld it. For now the bolt-on approach is more than sufficient for me.

I can take pictures this weekend of me unwrapping it from its packaging.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rons50 said:

I just received my order for the super slider version (bolt-on of course) earlier this week. I'll post once I install them. This would be my second time getting this. I had a 97 years back and sold it. Now I have a 2002.

Once I feel confident in my welding skills I'll cut the brackets and weld it. For now the bolt-on approach is more than sufficient for me.

I can take pictures this weekend of me unwrapping it from its packaging.

That would be great! I was looking at the Super Sliders as well. I appreciate it!

Edited by The_Oregonian

My truck had them when I bought it used, and eventually I landed on a rock hard enough to push the slider into the rocker panel and shift it upwards. There’s basically no gap anymore where the corner of the door meets on the hinge side.

Generally speaking, I was never a fan of the use of large self-tapping bolts and drilling into the pinch weld seam to mount them, but any other approach would require specific mounts. This was generic enough. 

I eventually chopped off the mounts from OE QX4 side steps, plated them up, and welded them to the sliders to mount on OE spots. I did something similar for R50JR’s truck with Trail Gear sliders and R50 steps. They’re a little different in drop height; my sliders still tuck up pretty high, which I prefer. 

19 hours ago, hawairish said:

My truck had them when I bought it used, and eventually I landed on a rock hard enough to push the slider into the rocker panel and shift it upwards. There’s basically no gap anymore where the corner of the door meets on the hinge side.

Generally speaking, I was never a fan of the use of large self-tapping bolts and drilling into the pinch weld seam to mount them, but any other approach would require specific mounts. This was generic enough. 

I eventually chopped off the mounts from OE QX4 side steps, plated them up, and welded them to the sliders to mount on OE spots. I did something similar for R50JR’s truck with Trail Gear sliders and R50 steps. They’re a little different in drop height; my sliders still tuck up pretty high, which I prefer. 

Hmm - this is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the feedback.

Some supporting pics...

Sliders aren't attached here, just resting on jacks before I changed the mounts, but you can see how badly they jammed up into the pinch seam and rocker panel.

slider_0.jpg

Front leg:

slider_1.jpg

Rear leg:

slider_2.jpg

There's just nothing to prevent them from shifting upward except the pinch seam.

How it sits today with my QX4 mounts, but you can see the lack of a gap at the door corner and further back.  Doesn't hinder the door, though, but does rub just enough.

slider_3.jpg

The slider bodies are stout enough, though.  No complaints there; just the mounting style I disliked.  Shot of reinforced OE mounts and trail abuse since (my muffler has taken a beating):

slider-5.jpg

Here's basically how I had converted OE step rail mounts for use on mine and R50JR's sliders.  I really liked the results.  Just chopped off the legs and cut side plates to stiffen them up.

CA88-CDF4-54-A1-440-A-A2-C1-502-B36-DA12

B317-F48-A-1818-45-F1-BDC1-366-D673-AF42

D66-C3-F35-B628-4-E27-AF17-932-A0665603-

AD489-B0-D-C1-B0-40-AA-9-D7-E-CEA0505-D8

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 9:39 AM, The_Oregonian said:

Thanks for taking the time to post this @hawairish. I may be hitting the pause button, and looking for a fabricator.. The mounts are a good idea - I have the factory side steps kicking around..

May need to check if yours are the aluminum ones, though.  I think there were two styles that had steel frames, and one with aluminum.  My buddy's 02 SE had aluminum ones.

1 hour ago, hawairish said:

May need to check if yours are the aluminum ones, though.  I think there were two styles that had steel frames, and one with aluminum.  My buddy's 02 SE had aluminum ones.

Now that you mention it I do think they're aluminum.