R50 Custom fabricated roof rack thread

zadrozny91

Hey R50 people!

You might have seen my posts on Facebook groups or instagram, but I also wanted to be present here as I've enjoyed browsing this forum numbers of time. Those of you who don't know me, I'm based in Vancouver BC Canada and I created a sweet roof rack for all R50 models. I was inspired by Prinsu obviously and since there are no aftermarket solutions for R50 I decided to make my own rack. 
Please check out some details, information, manual and more photos at my google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14yxt2aZX2_KDKsw74M9Ft5XpMms7hF-H?usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions! I've sold a few already so you might start seeing those racks on R50s!
Thanks!
Pawel

DSC_0195-2.JPG

• Like 7

I've been quietly following your progress on the Facebook groups, but happy to have you over here as well.

Question - how has demand been for these? Reason I ask is I have other plans for my Pathfinder's modification budget for this year, but will likely be in the market for one of your racks around this time next year so I was curious if you anticipate still offering these for the foreseeable future. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Oregonian said:

I've been quietly following your progress on the Facebook groups, but happy to have you over here as well.

Question - how has demand been for these? Reason I ask is I have other plans for my Pathfinder's modification budget for this year, but will likely be in the market for one of your racks around this time next year so I was curious if you anticipate still offering these for the foreseeable future. Thanks in advance!

Thank! I just noticed the forum is back and running and I hope to be on here from now on as well. Can't say how many times I used this forum to search for information and 99% of the time found it right here, it's great!

As for the racks, I think the demand is there, feedback has been great and since some nice guys with Instagram R50 accounts started sharing, I've been getting more and more messages. I only have 3 left from my first batch at the moment and already made arrangements to make another batch sometime in March when I'm back from vacation. I hope I will keep making them for as long as I keep my R50 and potentially longer now that I have everything figured out.

I probably need more people to have them installed to start being recognized. Also I hope for those undecided because it's too expensive, they'll start seeing value as more people use them... unfortunately prices of fabrication, aluminium and even hardware are steeper here in BC than in the US. 

Anyways, pm me here or on any of the groups, I still have a couple of my previous revision racks available a little cheaper (they're almost identical!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here are some photos of happy customers. I still have two full rack and two discounted sets (very very minor imperfections). Shipping available anywhere in Canada or the US.

g5riq57.jpeg

Apwj2mn.jpeg

diNgw5X.jpeg

Kxn0Omr.jpeg

vHGL7Cb.jpeg

6wfXHcn.jpeg

t6rwD1C.jpeg

j5Ltn01.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 98dreamer said:

I know I've seen it before. But having a hard time finding the cost.
Little help?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've got you!

So I'm based in Vancouver Canada and the price here is $1480CAD. For the US, the price is $1400 shipped anywhere within the continental states. All you see in the pictures is all you get, 8 crossbars, wind fairing, all stainless hardware etc. Oh and no taxes or import duties on top of that. Also comes with a manual and it installs very easy in a couple hours.

Pm me if you're interested 

Thanks

Is that from roof rack to tent, with a russian wife who cooks? Lol
I hope that's not just the rack system...
That's a whole lotta money.

35 minutes ago, 98dreamer said:

Well, okay so first of all it's made in Canada, designed from scratch by myself, CNC cut from 1/4" aluminium and powder coated locally. Now if you think it should be cheaper, I will surprise you, my cost per rack is pretty close to 80% of the price I'm selling it for. Aluminium prices have been high recently, labour is not cheap in BC, I'm not skimping and use stainless steel high quality hardware, I took 4 prototypes to get it exactly how I wanted it and make a good fit. It comes with custom made brackets, an installation manual and is designed to fit all R50 roof rails as it's a simple bolt on style rack. I won't even start on tents, the one you're seeing in the picture Im selling for $2900CAD and guess what, I do sell them at this price fairly easy. Unfortunately there are no alternatives to roof racks for R50s and so I took my after work free time, spent it in front of the computer and taking tons of measurments, designed it and built it. If I added my hourly rate to the cost, it would've been more but since it's my side fun project I cam out with the price most people agreed was fair and all customers so far have been happy with the racks and the quality. These things are not cheap but I guarantee they will outlast all R50s out there and will not break, rust or fall apart.

I also have some discounted racks with minor imperfections but since I really don't appreciate your tone and stereotypical jokes, I'll ask you to move on and search for alternatives. And since I know there are no alternatives really, good luck building your own ?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 98dreamer said:

You're not wrong, it is a lot of money, but this isn't an amazon Curt rack. OP spent a lot of time for R&D. It's a nice rack for a market that doesn't exist for the R50. I know you were not trying to be a jerk but consider the work that goes into something like this before commenting... or at least ask why the cost.

14 hours ago, zadrozny91 said:

I won't even start on tents, the one you're seeing in the picture Im selling for $2900CAD and guess what, I do sell them at this price fairly easy.

Do you also make these tents?

12 hours ago, R50JR said:

You're not wrong, it is a lot of money, but this isn't an amazon Curt rack. OP spent a lot of time for R&D. It's a nice rack for a market that doesn't exist for the R50. I know you were not trying to be a jerk but consider the work that goes into something like this before commenting... or at least ask why the cost.

Do you also make these tents?

I bought these tents directly from the manufacturer and resell them here in Canada. I use the company in China that manufactures for other brands like gooverland canada, kings etc. They're not CVT or Roofnest quality but I'd say 80-90% identical.

R50jR, it's cool, man. I'm not the target market.

1 hour ago, 98dreamer said:

R50jR, it's cool, man. I'm not the target market.

Truthfully, 90-95% of Pathfinder owners are not the target market. That’s the reason why there isn’t a market for stuff like this. Most Pathfinder/Nissan owners would own a Toyota or Jeep if they could afford it. Very few people are actual Nissan fans and simply buy because they’re cheap or couldn’t find something else.  Buying roof rack that is 1/4 of the value of a car may not even be a smart decision in the long run. Still, I’m sure the amount of work OP has put in was exhaustive. 

14 minutes ago, R50JR said:

Truthfully, 90-95% of Pathfinder owners are not the target market. That’s the reason why there isn’t a market for stuff like this. Most Pathfinder/Nissan owners would own a Toyota or Jeep if they could afford it. Very few people are actual Nissan fans and simply buy because they’re cheap or couldn’t find something else.  Buying roof rack that is 1/4 of the value of a car may not even be a smart decision in the long run. Still, I’m sure the amount of work OP has put in was exhaustive. 

Good points, I agree as to the cost factor. Problem is it can't be cheaper if I make a few of them only. It would be cheaper in mass production obviously but like you said there's no need for that. My 15 racks are almost gone now and my next batch will be 5 likely.
With aluminum and labor cost being historically high and all covid issues, my profit margin on these has shrunk down to be enough to pay for gas money and my rack really. I just took it as an after work fun project and make an alternative to very limited options. My original plan was to get a few of the rhino rack crossbars for my rooftop tent but if I wanted 4, it would cost me roughly $1000CAD so I figured I build my own. There, for another $500 you get 8 crossbars, wind fairing, 100% rust resistance, more attachment options and lower profile while supporting a couple small businesses.
Anyways, I'm hoping to keep a few in stock for those who decide to get them, might even spend some time on improvements for 2nd batch, I'll update here! Also, a lot of people asked me to make one for 2nd gen Xterra, that might be a slightly bigger market maybe.
Side note, I was going to do skid plates too locally to not have people pay for shipping but aluminum sheets prices made it not worth it, SFCreation shipped is pretty much the same money now so I'll just grab one of his and support his R&D. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, zadrozny91 said:

Good points, I agree as to the cost factor. Problem is it can't be cheaper if I make a few of them only. It would be cheaper in mass production obviously but like you said there's no need for that. My 15 racks are almost gone now and my next batch will be 5 likely.
With aluminum and labor cost being historically high and all covid issues, my profit margin on these has shrunk down to be enough to pay for gas money and my rack really. I just took it as an after work fun project and make an alternative to very limited options. My original plan was to get a few of the rhino rack crossbars for my rooftop tent but if I wanted 4, it would cost me roughly $1000CAD so I figured I build my own. There, for another $500 you get 8 crossbars, wind fairing, 100% rust resistance, more attachment options and lower profile while supporting a couple small businesses.
Anyways, I'm hoping to keep a few in stock for those who decide to get them, might even spend some time on improvements for 2nd batch, I'll update here! Also, a lot of people asked me to make one for 2nd gen Xterra, that might be a slightly bigger market maybe.
Side note, I was going to do skid plates too locally to not have people pay for shipping but aluminum sheets prices made it not worth it, SFCreation shipped is pretty much the same money now so I'll just grab one of his and support his R&D. 

I’ve bought a couple of things from Fleury and he makes good quality stuff. His missing link is robust. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, fine sir. Seeing the quality of the rack, and it is pretty. How about a bumper system, or a front bumper. Winch capable, bull bar, 6" LED blinkers, and I'd gladly pay $1500 for that. R50s need those, really, rilly, bad.

• Like 1

Ok, fine sir. Seeing the quality of the rack, and it is pretty. How about a bumper system, or a front bumper. Winch capable, bull bar, 6" LED blinkers, and I'd gladly pay $1500 for that. R50s need those, really, rilly, bad.

Coastal off-road make great front bumpers and the r&d behind them is huge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Coastal off-road make great front bumpers and the r&d behind them is huge!

I've checked out theirs. Not bad. Kinda close.
Maybe not quite so hi of clearance. Keep the washer rez and breather box safe. Plus I dont like the round blinkers. Lol
And most of all... Maaannnn!!
I dont want to build my own. This ain't tinker toys. If I'm paying that type of money, I would think it should come ready to bolt up. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

I've checked out theirs. Not bad. Kinda close.
Maybe not quite so hi of clearance. Keep the washer rez and breather box safe. Plus I dont like the round blinkers. Lol
And most of all... Maaannnn!!
I dont want to build my own. This ain't tinker toys. If I'm paying that type of money, I would think it should come ready to bolt up. Am I wrong?

Yeah well, shipping assembled bumper would be painful. As far as I know they sell it ready to weld and can keep shipping cost relatively low, maybe if you came to their office in vancouver they could weld one up for you.
I think that’s as high clearance as you can get for custom bumpers on r50 and they come with optional skid plate. Pricey but now after fabricating the racks I understand these things can’t be cheap

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 98dreamer said:

Off topic for this thread but this seems to be what you are looking for - https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-sahara-bar-black-3938040/_/R-BHWQ-3938040

• Like 1