Low Mileage R50 For Auction on Cars & Bids

I see y'all talkin' sh*t about my new Pathy.  (I do hate the color. Literally beige on beige.)

TBH I am happy with the deal. I paid under $6k including auction fee, title and registration. For ANY sub-75k mile 4wd that is a fair price in 2021. It really is very clean in and out, owned the majority of its life by a downtown PDX'er and rarely driven. Everything seems to be in tip-top shape and it drives great. Time will tell what nags come up, but I feel it is a great value and look forward to it. And yes, it is PNW moss on the roof not rust.

Compared with the 2003 4Runner I sold, in worse condition with 40k more miles for $14k this is a better deal.

Congrats on the new car and welcome to npora (no relation to bookface npora)

Sent from my Pathfinder
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I was thinking of how to improve the aesthetic. Tint the windows & black the chrome - add hood & rear hatch wind deflectors. Maybe the wheels too. All that should give it a khaki & black look & it won’t be quite so beige. That said, that color is probably the best at hiding pin striping. It’s a metallic paint too, right?

I might tint the fronts to match, but honestly anything else is not worth it to me. This is just a 4th car I really didn't need, a backup 4wd for the Pilot. I plan on taking it up on the mountain a bit and see how it handles in the snow vs. the Pilot, but it will likely remain stock and get driven by my two teenage daughters in the winter more than anything. 

Appreciate the site and will definitely leverage SEARCH to find good info! Never had a Nissan/Infiniti and have mixed feelings about them, but my parents always had good luck back in the 90's/00's with 'em. 

Well, the AWD will serve your daughters well. Honestly, here in the PNW, I run it AWD about 80% of the time - much more sure footed with our wet & mossy roads. The AWD is also excellent for the kind of on-road snow we get - like going up to Timberline in the winter. As you know, nothing really helps with PDX ice storms. Just make sure you get the power valves done - cost me an otherwise pristine engine at about 102K & we lose several a year. As a Nissan man from ‘84 & all of the cars that have just been mine, I would agree with your folks. I can’t speak to the Frontier, which I under is an exception, but I don’t recommend & wouldn’t buy Nissan anymore myself. My last was a 2013 Infiniti G as it was still old school Nissan but their emphasis on power, handling & reliability has simply gone away. I’m largely a Japanese only guy (though I’m hopeful Kia/Hyundai is going the old school Japanese route), but it’s probably Toyota, Honda, maybe Mazda/Subaru from here on out.

Thanks again for the heads up on the power valves, that is invaluable insider info! Being from MN, the winters here are a breeze except for that occasional ice storm.

I am a Euro guy myself, but also Japanese for my sensible choices (read - wife and kids). I've always got some from both lands. Right now my DD is a '17 Audi S3 (w some go-faster bits), and we have two '07 Hondas with >150k miles that run great and are easy to fix. Oh and now a 20yo Nissan ;) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeyKoala said:

Thanks again for the heads up on the power valves, that is invaluable insider info! Being from MN, the winters here are a breeze except for that occasional ice storm.

I am a Euro guy myself, but also Japanese for my sensible choices (read - wife and kids). I've always got some from both lands. Right now my DD is a '17 Audi S3 (w some go-faster bits), and we have two '07 Hondas with >150k miles that run great and are easy to fix. Oh and now a 20yo Nissan ;) 

Welcome @JoeyKoala . We had a brief exchange on the auction page. I’m from Portland too and have an ‘02 in the same color combo (I have pics in my profile and build thread if you’re curious). I’ve come to appreciate the color 🤷‍♂️

I’m a euro guy too - my daily is a 2018 GTI that I just picked up a month ago.

On 5/29/2021 at 12:49 AM, R50JR said:

npora (no relation to bookface npora)

So the FB group isn't affiliated to the forum?

So the FB group isn't affiliated to the forum?

No. I’m glad most of the misinformation from there stays out of here

Sent from my Pathfinder

• Like 5

So true, definitely different ends of the spectrum. Also significant differences in how owners treat their trucks as well as approach to safety for themselves & those around them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R50JR said:

Sent from my Pathfinder

Interesting, I just thought they were especially when they link the forums here in their description.

To be honest I prefer the Aussie R50 owners page on there as opposed to the Yankee pages, just easier when everyone is speaking the same language/slang/suppliers around Pathfinders and to what is available locally. We never got the VQ35 engines or manual boxes in Australia, so the USA pages can muddy the waters on information sometimes, and you do see some stuff o the FB NPORA group that makes you question who vetted the post/info etc...

I will definitely keep that in mind with anything I see on there now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Interesting, I didn’t know that Australia never saw the VQ

Yep in Nissan Australia's wisdom they equipped all the R50 with pretty much the same drive train hardware regardless of trim level all (if not most) R50 Pathfinders had the following:

VG33 engines

Automatic transmissions

4.6 LSD front and rear diffs

Some have had the manual lever transfer case, but they were early ones '98 and earlier, after '99 they were all the "auto dial" selector.

Makes part searching in the junkyards easier cause you are pretty safe with diff gearing etc... but we don't get much option to chop and change factory options.

Plus we didn't get the factory rear tyre carrier either.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2021 at 9:37 PM, The_Oregonian said:

Welcome @JoeyKoala . We had a brief exchange on the auction page. I’m from Portland too and have an ‘02 in the same color combo (I have pics in my profile and build thread if you’re curious). I’ve come to appreciate the color 🤷‍♂️

I’m a euro guy too - my daily is a 2018 GTI that I just picked up a month ago.

Thanks for introducing yourself! Nice to meet another Portlander with similar tastes ;)

• Like 1