Low Mileage R50 For Auction on Cars & Bids

Thought you guys might be interested in keeping an eye on this low mileage (72k) 2001 Pathy up for auction at no reserve this week on Cars & Bids - .https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdbeMo19/2001-nissan-pathfinder-le-4x4 I'm definitely interested in seeing what it goes for since the used market (and particularly used 4x4's) is crazy right now. 

• Like 3

On 5/21/2021 at 11:09 PM, The_Oregonian said:

Thought you guys might be interested in keeping an eye on this low mileage (72k) 2001 Pathy up for auction at no reserve this week on Cars & Bids - .https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KdbeMo19/2001-nissan-pathfinder-le-4x4 I'm definitely interested in seeing what it goes for since the used market (and particularly used 4x4's) is crazy right now. 

Very clean car but I don't think the selling price will go very high. I'll guess $4350 max. One thing about older low-mileage cars is even though the mileage is low, the gaskets, seals, bushings still break down. So RMS on something like this could be in the near future.

It's in great shape but not amazing. Mine was in better shape with 150k+ miles on it (albeit it's an SE, not an LE).

The state of that roof's paint is concerning. It looks to be down to bare metal in some parts:

rkbzya7b-_2sI3fa6E4.JPG?t=161999305064

• Like 1

Looking at the website, it’s also of note that you have to pay them a couple hundred as a fee on top of the price. It’s probably my least favorite color & a shame it has the ‘01 16” wheels instead of the ‘02 17” wheels. Plus, it’ll need a couple hundred for the power valve fix. Overall, the condition looks pretty good though those hood paint defects really demonstrate how well the hood deflector has preserved my own truck. The leather seats are surprisingly worn for 70K. Also interesting to me to see all the little tweaks they made for ‘02, like the steering wheel, grill, seat buckle retainers, & hatch wind deflector. The hood insulation is far more complicated & extensive than mine. Did ‘01 LE’s not come with a matching alloy spare?

It's in great shape but not amazing. Mine was in better shape with 150k+ miles on it (albeit it's an SE, not an LE).

The state of that roof's paint is concerning. It looks to be down to bare metal in some parts:

I think what you are seeing is the nice PNW moss on the roof

Sent from my Pathfinder

5 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Looking at the website, it’s also of note that you have to pay them a couple hundred as a fee on top of the price. It’s probably my least favorite color & a shame it has the ‘01 16” wheels instead of the ‘02 17” wheels. Plus, it’ll need a couple hundred for the power valve fix. Overall, the condition looks pretty good though those hood paint defects really demonstrate how well the hood deflector has preserved my own truck. The leather seats are surprisingly worn for 70K. Also interesting to me to see all the little tweaks they made for ‘02, like the steering wheel, grill, seat buckle retainers, & hatch wind deflector. The hood insulation is far more complicated & extensive than mine. Did ‘01 LE’s not come with a matching alloy spare?

Careful there with the color comment RainGoat ha... I totally agree about the overall condition with the mileage. That said this site gets a ton of traffic and attention (being Doug Demuro's project) so I have a feeling the final number will be surprising.... 

6 hours ago, R50JR said:

Very clean car but I don't think the selling price will go very high. I'll guess $4350 max. One thing about older low-mileage cars is even though the mileage is low, the gaskets, seals, bushings still break down. So RMS on something like this could be in the near future.

I think it'll go for quite a bit more than that. You're absolutely right about gaskets/seals etc. however even in a private sale here in the Pacific Northwest 4x4's (including pathfinders) go for much more than that (I paid more for my 02 SE with 110k miles last year when I bought it, and the seller showed me texts from other buyers behind me coming from all over the state willing to pay his full asking price). This site gets a ton of traffic and attention because it's Doug Demuro's site. I frequent this website to keep an eye on the various market trends and I'd be shocked if it goes for less than 6k honestly, and suspect it will be higher than that...

6 hours ago, EricCR said:

Just mildew/mould, a good polish will sort that.

I've been looking for a very long time for a late 90's early 2000's Pathfinder.   I loved the VQ on my Maxima and these generation of SUV's (4Runner's, Rodeos, Pathfinders, etc) are my favorite.  

Any common issues you guys think would prevent me from driving it back to Utah from Oregon?   I am digging through these forums now as we speak :)

Edited by BodyonFramez

2 hours ago, BodyonFramez said:

I've been looking for a very long time for a late 90's early 2000's Pathfinder.   I loved the VQ on my Maxima and these generation of SUV's (4Runner's, Rodeos, Pathfinders, etc) are my favorite.  

Any common issues you guys think would prevent me from driving it back to Utah from Oregon?   I am digging through these forums now as we speak :)

Besides having to change your username to Unibodiez, probably not. Most of the 01 VQ issues (mainly power valve screws and IACV gasket) happen at 100k-200k mile range. You’ll want to check the oil regularly in case it burns some or if it springs a leak- oil cooler, valve covers, rear main seal are some of the top culprits. Keep premium fuel in it. These are coil on plug engines as well, but the coil packs tend to stay in good shape for over 150k +.  It’s a good idea to keep fresh fluid in the tranny, they don’t take well to abuse. 

these vehicles don’t typically have overheating issues.

Just take it easy. If it’s been somewhat regularly run and maintained, it should be a smooth journey home. I’m sure other people will have something to add to the aforementioned. 

• Like 1

Looks like it sold for $5600 so I wasn't too far off...  I see a few other guys from the forums commented to welcome the new owner, and even a bid from [mention=40800]RainGoat[/mention]!

Damn, I was off. I think i paid like 5-6k for mine end of 2017 so prices are steady? Although, mine is a fully loaded le for 03 so could be a pandemic increase like you mentioned.

Sent from my Pathfinder

1 minute ago, R50JR said:

Damn, I was off. I think i paid like 5-6k for mine end of 2017 so prices are steady? Although, mine is a fully loaded le for 03 so could be a pandemic increase like you mentioned.

Cars & Bids is trying to compete with BAT and the target market and therefore selling prices end up being similar, which is to say, take them with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

I may be working in Southern OR some & was considering something reliable that I was familiar with for a local car instead of a rental. [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] has been looking N Cal to PNW for a friend recently & is attuned to the market. The PNW is traditionally one of the most expensive new & used markets in the nation. This was backed up when I ran a nationwide spread sheet on 2012 & 2013 Infiniti G37xS back in 2015. I also bought a new 2018 4Runner & negotiated in Toyota’s PNW, Intermountain & Upper Midwest markets, ultimately ordering out of KCMO. I literally saved several thousand dollars on each vehicle.     

We bet we could resell that beige 2001 for $6,000-6,500 in the Seattle area with no problem. My cut point was about $5,400 because, if I changed my mind, I felt I could still recoup sales tax, auction fee, gas & insurance at that level without any concern. I was hoping it would go for $6,500-8,000 so I wouldn’t feel bad. I wouldn’t buy one from a dealer but there are ones with twice the miles being sold as high as $8,000 here.

• Like 1

Cars & Bids is trying to compete with BAT and the target market and therefore selling prices end up being similar, which is to say, take them with a grain of salt.

What is BAT? Autotrader? I’ve used cars.com, autotrader, Craigslist & recently FaceBook Marketplace & OfferUp.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RainGoat said:

I may be working in Southern OR some & was considering something reliable that I was familiar with for a local car instead of a rental. [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] has been looking N Cal to PNW for a friend recently & is attuned to the market. The PNW is traditionally one ofthe most expensive new & used markets in the nation. This was backed up when I rana nationwide spread sheet on 2012 & 2013 Infiniti G37xS back in 2015. I also bought a new 2018 4Runner & negotiated in Toyota’s PNW, Intermountain & Upper Midwest markets, ultimately ordering out of KCMO. I literally saved several thousand dollars on each vehicle.    

We bet we could resell that beige 2001 for $6,000-6,500 in the Seattle area with no problem. My cut point was about $5,400 because, if I changed my mind, I felt I could still recoup sales tax, auction fee, gas & insurance at that level without any concern. I was hoping it would go for $6,500-8,000 so I wouldn’t feel bad. I wouldn’t buy one from a dealer but there are ones with twice the miles being sold as high as $8,000 here.

Agreed - I feel like the buyer got a good deal, and you could easily sell for the same if not a profit in the local market.. The market is kind of insane right now - I just sold my old daily  (2012 Volvo S60) on Craigslist for $800 more than I paid for it in 2017 with 30k less miles. 

Also I used to live in Southern Oregon so let me know if you need any recommendations for down there..

• Like 1

Down here in Tassie we call it the "Covid Tax" old $2-$4k Landcruisers and Patrols down here now go for anywhere between $8k to $16k, it is stupid. Even caravans, and in particular off road campers are going through the roof too, we got ours delivered leading into covid for mid $20k and they are now selling $40-$50k second hand because the waiting times on new ones are up to and over 18 months. All because everyone can't go on interstate/international holidays any more they are buying up all the 4x4's ad campers so they can see their home state, and camp etc...

I'm calling it, there will be a glut of 4x4's and off road campers on the market in the next 18-36 months, back at realistic if not rock bottom prices.

• Like 3

Covid tax seems to have hit Pathfinder SE + LE's in my area but not QX4's, unless the owner literally lists them as Pathfinder LE's... which I've seen a few times. Vancouver, BC.