possible rod knock?

Well, my pathy is making some funny noises. I recently installed a cheap amazon oil pressure gauge, and when I first installed the gauge, my readings were a little low. They were about 50-60 PSI at 2K RPM with a normal idle PSI of 9. (manual says 60 PSI at 2K warm) now its getting hot out and my readings are a little worse. On a cold start, after I let the motor run for about a minute or so, the oil pressure at 2K will sit at about 58 to just over 60. but when its warm it sits right spot on at 40. When its idling it will show a lower oil pressure closer to 5. To show this, here is a video of my gauge at the different RPMs. On top of having the lower pressure when its at operating temperature, I can hear what sounds like a tapping noise if what sounds like the bottom end. (In the video if you listen closely you can hear the chatter.) Its not a full knock, but it sounds a little loose. It only does it when I'm holding RPM at 2K and its warm. If its doing something like climbing a hill then there is no noise, if its accelerating there's nothing. Its only if its on flat ground, in gear holding at 2K or just being held at that RPM not moving. I did change the oil about 2 hours ago now with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30, and a K&N gold filter with no change in results. My fear is that its a bearing, but I'm hoping its just my oil pump not building enough pressure and the tapping is just from a low oil pressure. but I'm not sure. Any insight on to what could be going on here? Could my gauge just be reading wrong and the tapping is half normal? or is there a bigger problem here then I'm aware of? It still drives fine, doesn't feel like its at a loss of power and I only hear the tapping at 2K and not under serious load.

QUICK NOTE: both of my tensioner pulleys do have a bit of play in them but I don't think this is where its coming from but still worthy to note

Edited by Strato_54

Quick update: problem has not been resolved, but last night the temperature dropped and my pressure stayed at 60 till I got a block away then it was sitting at 50 idle. Once I got to school if I held it at 2K it was sitting at about 50-55 and 20 PSI idle and I can hear the slight tapping noise not nearly as noticeable. Like I had to really be listening for it. And I could only hear it holding at 2K and not at idle. Even hot there is no noise idle, just my valve train click

Edited by Strato_54

well with lack of response and lack of other information, my plan is to add a little bit of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer, run that for a little bit until I have the time, and money to attempt to fix it properly. the bottle was 15 bucks so if it doesn't work out then so be it I'm down 15 and the price of the oil I bought. But other wise if it does help then that will get me by until I can drop the pan and check my bearings. I'm not afraid to drop the pan, I simply don't have the time and I don't have the ability to give my pathy up for a bit as I need it for school and work. if the Lucas stuff doesn't work then maybe may long ill set aside to dropping the pan. I've seen super mixed reviews on this stuff, ranging from people swearing by it to having nothing but problems. With that said, it says to use 20%, I might just do 10 or 15 to see how it goes. I know running a higher weight would probably work, and I will do that, I just don't wanna waste a less then 100KM oil change 3 days after I changed it. After a while I'm going to swap to a 10w-30 most likely and just stay with that, though I'm not sure what to do about it in the winter. maybe just make sure I go drive and eat lunch somewhere else with the heat on? who knows. 

I have read with colder (snowing) climates people run the 5w-30, but I have also read it pays to go to heavier oils as you get km's/miles on the donk.

I always go the heavier weight oils on my engines especially when they have some high k's on them. I am in Tasmania we get sub 0deg C mornings here regularly in our winter and with the thicker oils I just let the car warm up a bit longer before hitting the road, no big deal 3-5min of the car sitting in the driveway while I fix myself a coffee.

The noise you are hearing is more than likely just lifter noise/rattle, nothing to be worried about, a bit more info like mileage on your pathy could help, but I reckon she is just lifter noise normal wear and tear.

The stabiliser you added is a good call, and will effectively just give you a heavier grade oil. Just get a 10w-30 next service and go from there, this is all just experience you will gain as you get older and keep playing with cars. I don't think you need to drop the pan, I reckon you are just opening a can of worms, if it ain't broke don't mess with it.

As for the oil pressures on the chinesium gauge, did you check gauge accuracy with a known pressure source like compressed air? If not those cheap gauges can be all over the place with their calibration.

My only aftermarket gauges I plan on running will be some temp guages for the transmission and engine, and that is only so I can monitor my temps while towing our camper trailer.

Hope this helps set your mind at ease kid, don't overthink things, keep it simple stupid ?

Edited by Fr8Train
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fr8Train said:

I have read with colder (snowing) climates people run the 5w-30, but I have also read it pays to go to heavier oils as you get km's/miles on the donk.

I always go the heavier weight oils on my engines especially when they have some high k's on them. I am in Tasmania we get sub 0deg C mornings here regularly in our winter and with the thicker oils I just let the car warm up a bit longer before hitting the road, no big deal 3-5min of the car sitting in the driveway while I fix myself a coffee.

The noise you are hearing is more than likely just lifter noise/rattle, nothing to be worried about, a bit more info like mileage on your pathy could help, but I reckon she is just lifter noise normal wear and tear.

The stabiliser you added is a good call, and will effectively just give you a heavier grade oil. Just get a 10w-30 next service and go from there, this is all just experience you will gain as you get older and keep playing with cars. I don't think you need to drop the pan, I reckon you are just opening a can of worms, if it ain't broke don't mess with it.

As for the oil pressures on the chinesium gauge, did you check gauge accuracy with a known pressure source like compressed air? If not those cheap gauges can be all over the place with their calibration.

My only aftermarket gauges I plan on running will be some temp guages for the transmission and engine, and that is only so I can monitor my temps while towing our camper trailer.

Hope this helps set your mind at ease kid, don't overthink things, keep it simple stupid ?

Thanks for the response. Yeah it is true we run a 5w-30 in the winter and its a very common grade here, but its mostly 10w-30 as well, but in my climate the summers get pretty hot and all the sudden go to freezing. My 6.0 powerstroke runs a 15w-40 pretty much all year round. though it doesn't like starting in the winter, once its warm no problems. I do regret not going with the 10w-30 but live and learn. although its not a high mileage engine with only as of now 96,200 KM, I'm trying to keep it lasting as long as I possibly can, but that noise is kind of a new one. it has been making it for a while and though I am worried about it, I'm not loosing too much sleep over it, as long as i keep it above 2k, no noise and it gets me around fine lmao. I did not check the gauge, nor do I have a mechanical gauge to test it with, how ever, I do believe my gauge is somewhat accurate as the readings I do get are some what expected like my idle pressure and the 60 PSI I get on a cold start. And as my RPMS go up so does the pressure, along with the noise going away.

I have yet to add the stabilizer, will probably do that tomorrow afternoon, but I'm hoping it will at least work enough to get me by till I change to a 10w-30 and know I at least got something out of this expensive jug. I am confident though that its not a lifter noise as I can hear the "knocking" only when I lay under, or put my ear in the wheel wells. Although I'm not ruling out lifter, it just sounds like that area. I'll do more investigating before I throw in the Lucas, but for now I'm just trying to grab as much info as I can. When it isn't making the tapping noises, the only other noises I hear are the typical valve train clicking you get on idle or even a raised RPM. With such low KM on the motor I find it hard to believe its a rod bearing that would be making me lose my oil pressure, and more likely a cam bearing. but the one idea I've had, after reading a few posts is it could be something with the pick up tube? is it possible for the pick up tube to leak before the pump and maybe its leaking out before the pump or getting air? Just a thought I had read and have set in the back of my mind as a possibility if its true. 

Edited by Strato_54
  • Like 1

well, i dropped about 250ML of oil and replaced the same amount with the Lucas, and basically no change. the noise is slightly quieter, and valve train noise is also a little down but other wise 0 change in oil pressure. I'm convinced now its probably just gonna stay that way, because I checked the oil for dust and nothing. As long as it runs and moves under its own power, I'm ok with it for now. I'll run it with the Lucas and then next change ill just go with a 10w-30. 

• Like 1