SUNROOF WONT FULLY CLOSE/OPEN

The title pretty much sums this up. Truck has 235k miles. The sunroof was working fine until it didn’t. The motor sounds fine and the rails are well greased and nothing in its way. There’s no binding sounds, it just sounds like it normally would when at the fully open/closed position. I took the motor out to inspect for missing teeth, but there’s just dust and normal looking teeth.

After a bit of research it sounds like it might be a position sensor issue. I’ve looked at the reset procedures and they all start with the assumption of the sunroof being fully closed. I cannot for the life of me force the sunroof closed without worrying about shattering the glass. Do you guys have any ideas?

Can you access the position sensor? or the wires at least?

From my experience with sunroof's is that the position sensor is more than likely a micro switch that kills power to the drive motors to prevent over running and damage to the hard ware, one for opening and one for closing.

Now I haven't looked at the Sunroof wiring for the Pathfinder (as mine doesn't have one) but you may be able to locate the sensor wires and intercept the signal and fudge the feed back by breaking/contacting the wires to get it to work. 

Typing this out has me thinking, if one sensor is activated, the motor can only turn on the reverse direction, but for the roof not to go either direction, I find it hard to believe that both sensors would fail at the same time, I would be looking for a cable plug that you may have inadvertently disturbed (unplugged) and I would be checking any relays and fuses related to the sunroof, as it has motors involved I would think there would be a relay under the bonnet looking after it, and if that has failed well you have lost all power.

Hopefully this helps and gives you a few things to look at.