01 Pathfinder MAF sensor

ryjaytay38

Hey guys, 

I haven't been on here for a while but I have a little issue. 2001 Pathfinder is running terribly. It jumps and stalls at stoplights and won't accelerate. Code reader says P0100 mass airflow sensor. I put a new one in and it's still running bad. Not AS bad, but not good. The wiring coming to it with the connector feels like it could snap at any time. Super brittle. I've been looking all over for a connector thinking that might be the issue and ordered one. Nope, doesn't fit. I order the 4 pin and get sent a 5 pin. Where can I get one that will fit?  I'd actually like to get the connector that has some wire connected to it to replace the old stuff that's on there. Where do you guys normally get good replacement parts without going broke?

Any suggestions would really help! 

Thanks!!

The connector sounds like a good bet. 2001 was the year Nissan switched from the 3.3 to the 3.5. Looks like the 3.3 MAF has four pins (or a connector built for four with one missing, the Rockauto pictures varied) and the 3.5 MAF has five pins, so I'll bet that's the mixup. Transition years are always a pain. I would try ordering a plug for a 2000, assuming you've got the 3.3.

I buy a lot from Rockauto, if I'm buying enough at once to justify the shipping. If I just need a couple of things, Amazon is sometimes cheaper (usually more expensive per part, but free shipping). For stuff that's more difficult to find, I use the parts lookup on nissanpartsdeal.com to get a part number and go from there. I ordered some rear wheel bearing lock washers for mine a while back through partsouq, and was surprised when they shipped from Saudi Arabia.

My 2001 is actually a 3.5. What I'm finding is I have a lot of parts that are 2002 rather than 2000. I go on amazon and after looking quite a bit, I'll find some connector plugs that are 4 pin, like mine, however the problem then goes to the shape of the connector won't fit. I've tried searching maf sensor with plug connector with minimal success. I did just find a place called Aeromotive. You submit a photo of the connector face and photo of the maf sensor, fill out what the problem is and it sounds like they make it for you. It says a team member will be in touch shortly. This should be interesting. I'll let you know what I find out

Sounds like a legit business. They responded with a quote within about 20 min. The problem is they wanted to charge $147 just for the connector! A little more than I''m going to pay

Yeah, $150 for a connector is silly. Good to know that resource is out there, though.

Sounds like you're up against some kind of weird first-year bollocks. I would check if Nissan used that same MAF in other applications (starting with the 3.3 R50, on the off chance Nissan just had a bunch of MAFs left over when they switched engines and used up their stock), and see if there's a plug listed for those applications, or someone on a forum for another model with the same MAF has found a part number or workaround. Might give you more options for donors to check at the wrecking yard, if nothing else. Failing that, you might try Digi-key, Mouser, maybe McMaster-Carr, on the off chance it's a standard plug that's still available. If the connector is the same style as the wrong ones you've got, or you can work out what style it is and order a kit for building them, and you can get the old plug body apart without destroying it, you may be able to re-pin it, either with new pins/wires or the pins/wires salvaged from the incorrect plug you received. This may require special tools, or you may be able to fake it with a small screwdriver and a little swearing if you're re-using the crimped pins/wires.

The last time I borked a connector that I couldn't find the plug for, I found that the pins were about the right size for some spade terminals I had. If the plug is unobtanium, and borked beyond repair, I would consider doing the connections with individual spades for each pin. This would be easy to screw up (keep the old plug on hand so you know which wire goes where), and a pain to deal with in the future, and you would need to wrap the connector in tape or something to keep moisture from getting at the spade terminals. This is less than ideal, but it would get you back on the road, and it wouldn't lock you out of doing it properly later if/when you track down the right parts.

Another possible bodge: you could get matching waterproof connector pigtails, solder one to the harness, and solder the other to the terminals on the MAF, then pot the MAF plug with silicone to protect the solder connections. Then you've got whatever commonly-available connector you want. Easy to install, easy to remove, but it means you can't replace the MAF in the future without modding the new one.