No Start Issue - Park/Neutral Switch??

Port

Hey guys, I am trying to troubleshoot a no-start issue that started today.
What happened; I go to my car at lunch, I Insert and turn the key, the dash lights up light normal. I Turn the key to crank and I hear a clank like a loud relay, every light, dome light included, goes out. Everything's dead, key does nothing. Take the key out everything still dead. Get out check fuses, nothing obvious.
I open the door back up and the dome light comes on. I give it another try, the same thing happens.
I take the key out, open the door, wait a min, close the door, wait a min... Some combination of this allows the electrical system to be happy again and eventually the dome lights will come on when the doors open, as they should.
Do a little Googleing and find a post accusing the N/P switch of being the issue.
I get back in, key in, turn the key to the On position, push the shift lever forward with one hand and crank with the other. Car starts, runs and shifts fine.
Turn it off and try to start without pressing on the shifter. Failure accurees. I take out the key, get out, do the dance with the doors.
I get back in, key in, turn the key to the On position, shift to Neutral, turn the key to crank. Car starts, runs and shifts fine.
The shift indicator on the dash is telling me the trans is in park, the park locking pin seems to be engaging but there seems to be some issue with he car knowing i am indeed in park???

------------EDIT-----------

After driving a bit more today, I noticed an odd noise around the shifter. If I brake hard, I can hear a very consistent, not very loud "tink" that sound sounds like a pin/rod sliding and hitting a stop. It is very consistent. If I accelerate hard I don't really hear anything but if I brake hard again I can hear the same noise again.

Edited by Port