Motorised antenna swap gone wrong...

jtchal

Hey team, is anyone still rocking a motorised antenna that works or has any experience tinkering with one?

I tried to be cheeky and steal the one off my partner's R50 as the motor still sounded like it was operational on hers... So I've ordered a new mast which I was going to slot in there to give it a second chance.

Today was D-day, so I went in pretty hot and cut the 3 wires that power the antenna motor, with the hope of soldering on the working one. Seemed like it would be a simple swap, however I've managed to kill both our stereos. So I've spent the day trying to see what was going on, testing and inspecting fuses both under the dash and behind the stereo but they were all fine.

I also used my tester screw driver and established that I wasn't getting the constant 12v from the battery, however the 12v from the ACC came on just fine but the radio still refused to power up...

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Or any idea why the stereo would not power up/ 12v constant power isn't coming through?

Yep all 3 were cut at the same time, I've also checked the fuse on the back of the stereo which is intact, I've replaced it anyway.

I've also noticed that i no longer get any beeping when I have the driver's door open with the key sitting in the ignition barrel (car off). Surely it's a bad earth connection somewhere... 

If you aren't getting 12 volts on the constant power wore to the stereo I would troubleshoot that. The accessory wire is just a trigger wire to turn the stereo on, but it uses the constant to actually power it. Kind of like a relay.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well, I'm baffled. I thought I checked anything but somehow missed that one... Replaced it and on came the stereo, door chime and the antenna motor even started going!

Thank you so much, you've just made my Sunday! 

Weird that the antenna fuse takes out the stereo, I would not have expected that. Shouldn't surprise me too much, though, as these are the same engineers who mounted the control amp for the WD21 power antenna back by the tail light. :scratchhead: 

Fixing the power antenna on my '93 was probably more effort than it was worth for the two or three times a year I actually use the thing, but I do enjoy how much engineering went into something so unnecessary.