Running horrible all of a sudden

swedecore

I'm driving along the road... start to feel a loss of power ~1/4 of the time, chug chug chug chug. I'm a mile from work, I think I can make it... I pull over to see what is going on and the car idles fine, but then over the next half mile it goes from 1/2 of the time to 3/4 of the time. Kind of sounded somewhat metal on metal, like maybe someone dropped an empty soda can on the ground. Then it got worse and worse and worse, so I pulled over and my coworker came by and pulled me over to work with my snatch strap.

I let it sit for an hour, now it starts up again, but when I gun it it guntles and complains and yells (don't know a better way to explain it) and the engine does NOT sound happy.

Also, totally probably unrelated, but this happened immediately after I left the Orielly's parking lot and put in a new turn signal flasher. Like immediately.

Does anyone have an recommendations as to where to start looking? I am going to check timing with a timing light and check my spark plugs, but beyond that not sure what to do. Maybe check my fuel injectors? But this happened so suddenly.

EDIT - 4 HOUR LATER, THE VEHICLE RUNS FINE... WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?

I've got exhaust leaks on both sides, haven't done anything about em. Not sure if that matters?

Edited by swedecore

My first thought was injectors but the more you explained I think it’s not your primary issue. Is it possible you accidentally disconnected or worked loose any connections when you changed out the flasher? Like one of the plug wires or any of the O2 or intake wiring? I’ve had small shorts with some of those wires that made it run terribly. Also what’s the part# you replaced? I need to do that too, the one that chimes when your lights are on when to keep you from leaving keys in ignition etc. What year is your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12 hours ago, Bubbles said:

My first thought was injectors but the more you explained I think it’s not your primary issue. Is it possible you accidentally disconnected or worked loose any connections when you changed out the flasher? Like one of the plug wires or any of the O2 or intake wiring? I’ve had small shorts with some of those wires that made it run terribly. Also what’s the part# you replaced? I need to do that too, the one that chimes when your lights are on when to keep you from leaving keys in ignition etc. What year is your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was an EP34 from Novita. This was just for the turn signal/hazards. Not sure which one chimes when the lights or keys are on. Also... 4 hours later, and after taking out the flasher, the car runs fine, zero problems. What could possibly be happening???

Edited by swedecore
  • Like 1

Exhaust leaks shouldn't be the issue, mine leaks too. Doesn't seem like there should be any connection between the flasher and the engine running like crap. The intermittent nature of the problem does point to an electrical fault. Checking timing's not a bad idea. Sometimes the dizzy craps out and it gets worse as it warms up, which could explain the issue worsening. Did you do anything else at the parts store, anything under the hood?

I'd take a look at the MAF wiring, just see if it's obviously wiggly or corroded. Look around where you installed the flasher, make sure you didn't knock anything else out, though I'm not sure what/how that would be. Also try running codes, on the off chance the computer's got some idea of what's going on.

• Like 2

Until it's constant, it's kinda hard to speculate. Mine had a moment years ago where it ran like crap for a short time and then nothing... It could have been something as simple as water in the fuel I guess. I would definitely check to see what the computer thinks it has a problem with. 

5 hours ago, gamellott said:

Until it's constant, it's kinda hard to speculate. Mine had a moment years ago where it ran like crap for a short time and then nothing... It could have been something as simple as water in the fuel I guess. I would definitely check to see what the computer thinks it has a problem with. 

Happened again, same exact thing, I was able to drive it for ~10 miles no problem though.

Have a look at the exhaust the next time it's running like crap. If it's blowing black smoke, check the temp sensor and connector too. There are two sensors on the upper rad hose neck. The one with one wire is for the dash gauge, the one with two goes to the computer. If it thinks the engine is dead cold, it'll inject more fuel, and a bad sensor or loose connector can tell it the engine's colder than it is. A failed oxygen sensor can also cause issues, but AFAIK would only show up when it went into closed loop (warmed up and cruising, not idling or heavily loaded).

If it's not blowing smoke, does it smell different than usual?

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Have a look at the exhaust the next time it's running like crap. If it's blowing black smoke, check the temp sensor and connector too. There are two sensors on the upper rad hose neck. The one with one wire is for the dash gauge, the one with two goes to the computer. If it thinks the engine is dead cold, it'll inject more fuel, and a bad sensor or loose connector can tell it the engine's colder than it is. A failed oxygen sensor can also cause issues, but AFAIK would only show up when it went into closed loop (warmed up and cruising, not idling or heavily loaded).

If it's not blowing smoke, does it smell different than usual?

I created a new topic to be more specific in my initial post and to make future searching easier.