Anyone wanna talk about the new ‘22 Pathfinder?

Fonze311

Saw the debut video today along with the new Frontier. I like the new Pathfinder design. I really liked the Frontier a bit more tho. I was hoping the Pathy would be a little tougher looking, like the Frontier.

Overall, I’m excited for Nissan new lineup and powertrain direction. 

What do you guys/gals think?

Edited by Fonze311
  • Like 1

It's still a FWD-based crossover that looks about like everything else. Maybe that's why they thought it needed the name spelled out in big letters across the hatch. Not sure what they were going for with the headlights. Also not sure what they were going for with the body color up the C pillars (did they think that looked good on the FJ Cruiser?) or the beige plastic growth on the rear bumper. I'd like the interior better without the iPad, but I guess those are standard now. Overall it's less aggressively bland than the last gen, so I guess that's something. Hopefully the nine-speed holds up better than the CVTs did.

They say the Fronty facelift was "inspired" by the Hardbody, but I don't see the resemblance. I see Toyota cheek vents and Ford side windows, and the tail lights look very Ford-ish too. I'm not sure what purpose the orange interior accent parts serve other than being something to paint orange. That said, I like it more than I thought I would. It's not offensive, but it's not boring.

Agree with all your points. The design cues I think are just part of the times (big letters, 2-tone body and c-pillar). The only design inspiration to the 1st gen is the 3 nostril hood vents. I don’t see anything else.

It still sits pretty low to be considered an off-road capable SUV, but I think it is competing more directly with the Highlander and Explorer. It’s nice to see how roomy it is on the inside. No way I can fit my family in my current R50 comfortably (baby car seats). 

I think it’s a promising step in the right direction for Nissans future. I don’t think they have the deepest pockets right now to go full fledged redesign. But this is at least a good swing at the current customer demands.

Looks better then the current gen, but its still a cross over. probably would've been a lot cooler of it was RWD but sadly its not. Although that 9 speed does make me a bit happier to see instead of the disgusting CVT. They did get my excitement up when they started reposting some r50 builds on Instagram, but now I'm not as excited about the pathfinder. That's not to say I'm upset about the new Frontier. That body style has been the same since what, 2004? To see it actually look like a modern truck really makes me happy. Can't wait to see one in person or on some YouTube channels. 

I don't like it.  Congratulations, Nissan, for making another lackluster car...or another Honda Pilot.

I've grown so tired of Nissan engineers talking about WD21 inspiration and then they still produce some homage crapmobile.  There's no lineage here whatsoever (and arguably, any lineage may have only ever existed in the Xterra).  A second generation in a row they couldn't even get the rear door handles correct.

Personally, I like the new Navara front end over the Frontier.  I was hopeful that the new Frontier would have the body lines of the more recent Navara, but both were a departure.  I keep hoping that Nissan will produce another matching-body truck/SUV combo like the Hardbody/Pathfinder and 1st and 2nd gen Frontiers/Xterras (and even 3rd gen Pathfinder).  In this case, I was hoping for a Frontier/Terra joint release.  Disappointed yet again.

I'll add that the Pathfinders (R50 and R51) and Xterras (WD22 and N40) should never have coexisted (and the R50 wasn't a good successor to the WD21)...which gets me to the new Pathfinder: With the Xterra having been out of the picture for a several years, Nissan should have done a chassis-share between the Frontier and Pathfinder.  And bring the diesels over!  (There are a single- and twin-turbo diesels overseas!)  Nissan just continues to create bland vehicles here.  I can't tell the difference between a Versa, Sentra, Altima, or Maxima any more.  It's probably just a matter of time before the Frontier and Titan are FWD, too.

• Like 2

Xterra might be the next in line for a refresh. Pathfinder I believe is more directly competing with all the larger crossovers with AWD, like the Highlander and Pilot. The 4Runner needs a good competitor, as well as the upcoming Bronco. 
I’ll be optimistic and say Nissan is in need of sales now, and family vehicles will get them there. Off-road vehicles are not going to give them big numbers. Although, the Frontier sold successfully for well over a decade. Slap that Frontier chassis into an SUV design and they have themselves a winner with minimal R&D.

18 hours ago, adamzan said:

This was an interesting watch:

Yeah it's still a soccer mom car but damn look at that clean 2 door in the background.

I actually watched that, Man I would love to have a look through their heritage centre, some nice units in there!

Would love that 2 door, steering wheel is even on the right side!

I think it's a real stretch to draw a parallel between this and the WD21 (as in "you're on crack"), but in this day and age bean counters make more final decisions on design than the actual designers. Nissan dropped the ball in the early 2000s in my opinion, building 'safe' non-offensive (BORING) vehicles for boring people. 

We have the navaras and the twin turbo diesels over here and I do not rate them. They have no resale and issues with reliability/poor reputation.

If Nissan stuck their neck out and made a real tribute car I think they would be on a winner! Look at what Suzuki did with the new Jimny -  That's how you pay homage to a classic. I test drove one and they are amazing.
There is a 2 year waiting list to get one here in Aus, with second hand examples fetch 15k more than the original sticker price. 

Edited by FirstGenFreak
  • Like 2

I'd love to see the new Jimny's over here.

Agreed on Nissan not taking some bolder steps in vehicles, outside the GTR.  The Z Proto doesn't do enough for me, either.  I really wish the IDx concept would come to fruition with a proper engine and RWD configuration.

But, they just seem exceptionally weak in the truck and SUV market.  The pickups have always been a staple, though I'm not sure if the Titan has made significant gains in popularity over the last 15+ years.

Wow, I have never heard of the IDX, that thing looks awesome, and typifies what made those early Datsuns so great! I hope it does make it onto the lot!

Yeah the Jimny is amazingly well done.

It's modern but simple and the design elements of the original LJ/Sierra/Samurai are everywhere - that dash, the hood, the overall silhouette. They nailed it. Funnily when I test drove it, it reminded me of my old B110. You've really got to use that 5 speed to get it moving, but it's FUN!

Yeah, I kinda liked the IDX, especially the interior. Not crazy about the slab corners, but at least it's interesting.

That is a clean two-door. Shame all the lead designer has to offer is marketing wank. Energy! Movement! Bold! Strong! This paint color means adventure! :tired:

• Haha 3

Not really...

with a choice of front- or all-wheel drive.

It only has a smidge over 7 inches of ground clearance, there's no two-speed transfer case

What's to talk about? It is a crossover... the only thing it has going for it is that it doesn't look like a minivan anymore... so now it is lying.

It reminds me of when a former co-worker was telling me how great his SUV, a Toyota Highlander, was. I told him that SUV stands for "Sport Utility Vehicle", and that he had no "Sport", no "Utility" just a "Vehicle". Granted, it might be a good "Vehicle", but is definitely isn't a SUV... Kinda like how calling a new Dodge Ram a "Power Wagon" is an insult to a real Power Wagon. :shrug:

B

Saw the debut video today along with the new Frontier. I like the new Pathfinder design. I really liked the Frontier a bit more tho. I was hoping the Pathy would be a little tougher looking, like the Frontier.

Overall, I’m excited for Nissan new lineup and powertrain direction. 

What do you guys/gals think?

I’m not in the market for a new vehicle but this new pathfinder is not appealing. This explorer competition looks like the countryman in the back, highlander side view(fj copy color scheme), and an explorer up front.
If they really want to motivate me to get a new ride, it’s gonna have to be something that you can get lockers on from the factory. And something that is rugged and looks rugged. The pathfinder name should be on a little suv tank with lockers. Something stupid capable. Sorry not sorry. I enjoy pathfinder but designers are still missing the point. e2230a37d94c064480ada4396220772b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

As disappointing as their current 4x4 offerings are, I think Americans in general are sleeping on the Armada. Yeah it's massive for some trails, but from understanding it's just a rebadged and de-optioned Y62 Patrol. If it fits, they'll go anywhere, surprisingly capable for IFS/IRS. Overseas you can get them factory with a rear locker (maybe front too? idk), you'd think Nissan would offer a nicely optioned offroad version for the American market. They wouldn't sell a lot, but it would help their image some.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, mickmutante said:

I thought i was looking for Ford heritage.... sorry....?

Here you go!

Ford Maverick vs. Nissan Patrol:

Maverick-Patrol.jpg

Mercury Villager vs. Nissan Quest vs. Guangdong Bus Works vs. Nissan Pathfinder:

Villager-Quest.jpg

Guangdon-Bus-Works-Pathfinder.jpg

• Haha 2

That Ford Patrol is hilarious. Yeah, just slap a badge on it, nobody will notice it's not really a Ford. Maybe pull the side cladding off, too. Yeah, there we go. Totally different.

At least the Guangcurysan Quilladong isn't insecure about being a minivan.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

That Ford Patrol is hilarious. Yeah, just slap a badge on it, nobody will notice it's not really a Ford. Maybe pull the side cladding off, too. Yeah, there we go. Totally different.

It was very common for marques to do badge swaps here in Australia through the late 80s - Nissan swapped that with Ford Australia for the ford ute:

How a Ford Falcon ute became a Nissan The Ute | CarAdvice

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 1:16 AM, hawairish said:

I don't like it.  Congratulations, Nissan, for making another lackluster car...or another Honda Pilot.

I've grown so tired of Nissan engineers talking about WD21 inspiration and then they still produce some homage crapmobile.  There's no lineage here whatsoever (and arguably, any lineage may have only ever existed in the Xterra).  A second generation in a row they couldn't even get the rear door handles correct.

Personally, I like the new Navara front end over the Frontier.  I was hopeful that the new Frontier would have the body lines of the more recent Navara, but both were a departure.  I keep hoping that Nissan will produce another matching-body truck/SUV combo like the Hardbody/Pathfinder and 1st and 2nd gen Frontiers/Xterras (and even 3rd gen Pathfinder).  In this case, I was hoping for a Frontier/Terra joint release.  Disappointed yet again.

I'll add that the Pathfinders (R50 and R51) and Xterras (WD22 and N40) should never have coexisted (and the R50 wasn't a good successor to the WD21)...which gets me to the new Pathfinder: With the Xterra having been out of the picture for a several years, Nissan should have done a chassis-share between the Frontier and Pathfinder.  And bring the diesels over!  (There are a single- and twin-turbo diesels overseas!)  Nissan just continues to create bland vehicles here.  I can't tell the difference between a Versa, Sentra, Altima, or Maxima any more.  It's probably just a matter of time before the Frontier and Titan are FWD, too.

FFS Nissan has had so many opportunities to do it right and each time they friggin take the easy way out. I know these crossover pieces of @!*% sell more but Nissan used to be a brand people were very loyal to, look at the d21 and the Z crowd, and to a lesser extent, the Xterra crowd. I still remember all the hype when they came out, it was a big deal, and I was only 16 at the time. I will probably not buy another Nissan ever again.

The new frontier is OK but no manual option means I won't be looking at it (will likely look at 2nd gen fronty's with a 6 speed). That whole no one wants manuals thing is bull@!*% and really only in North America...

• Like 1