Tranny just started acting funny

BamaQX402

Well dang it, with this last cold burst I've noticed the last few cold starts I'm getting that delayed 1-2 shift, not quite slipping, but something is up. It hasn't been giving any trouble, I did a drain and fill back in the summer. Just over 200,000 miles. Does my 02 3.5 have a similar trans as a 99 with the 3.3? There's one local. Or can my transfer case be added to a 2wd transmission? There's one of them local as well

The trans is technically the same (RE4R01A), but it had some revisions over the years, and from what I've read the one you have is pretty much the strongest available variant. Converting a 2WD trans may be possible if you don't mind tearing it apart to swap the output shaft, but I don't know for sure what would be involved with that. The VG33 one would need the bellhousing swapped, which IIRC bolts on from the inside for some reason, and I don't know that the torque converter is the same. Unless you want a science project, probably best to keep looking for the right box.

My '93 has a very lazy 1-2 shift under load. My '95 slammed second like it owed it money. I suspect both have/had an accumulator issue, though I don't know these transmissions well enough to know what else it could be. A friend of mine replaced the accumulator pistons and springs on his S10 Blazer (4L60E) when it started acting up, and that bought it a few years before the next thing failed, so that might be worth looking into. I plan to leave mine alone until it gives me a reason to swap the whole thing out.

Before assuming it's actually broken, though, check your fluid level and condition again. Could be it's got a slow leak somewhere and it's acting up because it's low.

• Like 1