Starter Modifications

Leo_Allesch

I have 98 Pathfinder LE which is basically stock other than a few replacement parts, I am looking to get into off-roading and would like to upgrade my car throughout the rest of high school and college and hope to have a beast by the end of college. The problem is that this car is my daily driver and my dad recommends that I not due too much that would negatively impact the daily driving quality. I would like to go off roading every now and then. My question is what modifications are a good place to start that wouldn't impact road driving that much. I've been watching a lot of videos about lifts, wheels, tires, missing links, etc. and want to know a good place to start. 

Thanks.

Before modifying ANYTHING, go drive it around, and try the off roading that you think you’d enjoy! If you feel like it doesn’t meet your needs, then it’s time to start modifying!

manaul hubs are an easy add on that will improve MPG in most cases 

Yeah I've done some off roading, and it performed pretty well -although I done have much experience-, but maybe I should do some more driving. I watched your video on the manual hubs, but I have an automatic transfer for the 4x4 and I really want to keep that functionality especially when it snows. I did read that a missing link would help stiffen up the car which I definitely like to do. Driving on bad roads the car bounces around like crazy. Would the missing link help out with that? People are saying to add the missing link after you lift the car, but can you still do it without a lift?

50 minutes ago, Leo_Allesch said:

Yeah I've done some off roading, and it performed pretty well -although I done have much experience-, but maybe I should do some more driving. I watched your video on the manual hubs, but I have an automatic transfer for the 4x4 and I really want to keep that functionality especially when it snows. I did read that a missing link would help stiffen up the car which I definitely like to do. Driving on bad roads the car bounces around like crazy. Would the missing link help out with that? People are saying to add the missing link after you lift the car, but can you still do it without a lift?

Your 98 has the all-mode transfer case? That doesn’t exactly sound right, should be a floor shift in all R50’s until about 2001.

even if you have it, when the hubs are locked it’s the same as stock. But in the summer / good weather / long trips you can just unlock the hubs and save some mpg. You can leave them locked all winter if you want. 

the missing link is not a fix for bad suspension handling, start swapping out bushings/struts/shocks/springs if it’s handling poorly. The missing link will fit on any lifted or stock vehicle 

23 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Your 98 has the all-mode transfer case? That doesn’t exactly sound right, should be a floor shift in all R50’s until about 2001.

even if you have it, when the hubs are locked it’s the same as stock. But in the summer / good weather / long trips you can just unlock the hubs and save some mpg. You can leave them locked all winter if you want. 

the missing link is not a fix for bad suspension handling, start swapping out bushings/struts/shocks/springs if it’s handling poorly. The missing link will fit on any lifted or stock vehicle 

So if I got manual hubs and locked them then I could still switch between 2H 4H and 4L without getting out of the car?

Manual hubs give some functionality but are not necessary. Their value is particularly limited if you have the ATX14A transmission. I’ve driven my truck 18 years without them. I have a set in the garage that I’ll probably install this year, but I’m in no hurry. I use the AWD probably more than the 2WD since I live in the PNW & I prefer it’s driving characteristics off-road unless I’m in something truly challenging (it eliminates understeer you get with a locked center & therefore has slightly better grip). They may decrease wear but OEM CVs rarely fail except in spacer lifted trucks or maybe with hard wheeling - though I don’t recall an actual report of it. They reportedly improve mileage by 1-2mpg but that’s negligible to me. The only reason I’m going to put them on is to facilitate on-trail CV replacement (something I hope I never have to do - and probably won’t since I have an extra CV but never bring it along), they make it possible to switch out CVs without removing the wheel.

There are many claims regarding improvement with the missing link but I would concur that I’m personally dubious. After 100K & 17 years I put one on & I can’t say that I can tell the difference. It’s worth noting that one of the reasons those points aren’t attached is very possibly (I’d say likely) that it’s part of the safety design to eject the engine down instead of through the cab in a significant head-on impact. I still did it - in part for a skid plate mounting point (& skids undoubtedly effect crash dynamics negatively anyway).

So if I got manual hubs and locked them then I could still switch between 2H 4H and 4L without getting out of the car?

Yes, locked it will behave as it does now. The real concern is what happens if you engage AWD unlocked. Lots & lots of theories from just some warning lights due to an unhappy computer to grenadine the transmission. The bulk of reasonable people doubt it causes harm - no one is inclined to test it. Personally, I find the benefits would be minimal versus the potential risk.

So other than the listed upgrades, my next line of thinking would be beefier tires, which means a lift kit. There are obvious pros for lifting and adding beefier tires to your truck, but what are the cons to lifting. Gas mileage decrease, tire wear? My pathfinder doesn't have the largest engine so can it handle tires in the 31+ range or will I see a noticeable performance drop. I am new to car mechanics and off roading so I appreciate all the help you guys have given.

Edited by Leo_Allesch

I would echo[mention=41900]PathyDude17[/mention] , just get out & use it first. Almost all the modding is really entertainment, the truck is quite capable stock. Tires are probably your smartest first investment though it does start to push the size question which pushes the lift question. I’d also recommend a set of X-Bull recovery boards, a hitch shackle & a basic recovery strap. Get your basics down & see where you find limitations that you want to address. There’s no need to be in a hurry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I would echo[mention=41900]PathyDude17[/mention] , just get out & use it first. Almost all the modding is really entertainment, the truck is quite capable stock. Tires are probably your smartest first investment though it does start to push the size question which pushes the lift question. I’d also recommend a set of X-Bull recovery boards, a hitch shackle & a basic recovery strap. Get your basics down & see where you find limitations that you want to address. There’s no need to be in a hurry.

Exactly, change things as you need to, unless you want to invest a pile of money in stuff you're really not going to use, or you just want it to look a certain way.
Tyres and a good set of driving lights is a sensible starting point.

It sounds like you've already done some offroading and enjoy it, so I'd encourage three essential mods; none exciting, but all very important to having a good time offroad and keeping your dad happy.

1. Maintenance. Make sure everything that is broken is fixed. Worn out suspension bushings? Replace them. Check engine light? Check codes and address. Etc.

2. Comms. It's best to never go offroad alone, especially if you have a pretty much stock vehicle, and a good CB or GMRS radio makes it a lot more fun so you can chat with your friends while driving. They can also make a good emergency device if you can find a channel somebody is listening on.

3. Tires. No need to go crazy. 31's should fit stock (especially if you go for a skinnier size; I'd shoot for about 10.5" wide, so if you have 15" wheels stock I'd go for 31x10.5R15). If not you'll only need the slightest bit of trimming. If you go larger than 31" you'll need offset wheels and they you'll have way more rubbing due to increased scrub radius when turning and the tires may not tuck behind the wheel arches anymore. A good tread pattern will make an enormous difference, I'd avoid the mud tires for a daily driver and stick with a good all terrain like BFG KO2 or Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

It's not an exciting list and the visual difference will be close to nothing, but those few things will really allow you to enjoy your vehicle to its fullest without blowing a ton of money on it or making it unpleasant to daily drive.

• Like 1

Comms is a good idea too especially if you're rural with average cell service. 

No need to spend $500 on a mega in dash unit and big antenna either you can get good rechargeable handheld units cheap, buy a box of 2 and split the cost with a friend.