Alternative to AC lift coils

jessrob

So after quite a bit of pondering, I've decided to lift the Pathfinder 2" rather than opt for a much more difficult (in my head anyway) SFD. I've done some digging on here and I've decided on AC coils over OME coils as I'll be installing a steel bumper and winch sometime in the very near future. My only issue is that from what I've read, AC has very expensive shipping for most people and considering I'm in Canada, I can only assume the price will be even steeper for me. So my question is, is there an alternative to AC coils? I think I remeber reading that specific jeep coils are an option but I can't for the life of me find the post. I apologize in advance if there's already been a post about this but I just can't seem to find it if it exists. 

My set up is AC in the front and LR 9449 in the back. AC springs shipped from Florida and the shipping wasnt that bad from what I remember. The land rover springs however are very expensive to ship due to the fact they ship from the UK. I believe the LR springs ran about $30 for 2 and $75 for shipping. I remember the AC springs were considerably higher priced for the part but the shipping was only $20 dollars to Georgia. 

Jeep coils are an outdated option that used to be used in the rear (with an adapter) to complement a subframe drop. Not worth your time compared to LR coils or other options.

2 hours ago, colinnwn said:

Land rover coils for the rear. There are several options for height and spring rate. Front I think only OME and AC.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There are about 6 spring options for the front suspension: Dobinson, Ironman 4x4, OME, AC, TJM, and King springs.

All the research that I've amassed on those coils can be found here with links in the description as well (AC lifts the highest): 

1 hour ago, JackFletcher said:

My set up is AC in the front and LR 9449 in the back. AC springs shipped from Florida and the shipping wasnt that bad from what I remember. The land rover springs however are very expensive to ship due to the fact they ship from the UK. I believe the LR springs ran about $30 for 2 and $75 for shipping. I remember the AC springs were considerably higher priced for the part but the shipping was only $20 dollars to Georgia. 

Living in Florida would be nice. Shipping to Idaho was about 70-80 dollars USD, which is insane. From what I remember, they really screw people over on shipping to Canada.

I think Dobinsons can be found in Canada - They for sure won't lift as high and will (probably) sag more under weight compared to AC. But, its worth noting that the spring rate and ride quality of AC coils keeps a fair amount of people away from them, making OME an equally popular front spring. From what I can tell, the Ironman 4x4 and Dobinson springs will probably perform similar to OME. I would generally opt for a land rover option in the rear (lots of info readily available on those). If you go with a land rover spring option, the vehicle will have a rake of 1-2" depending on your specific spring choices.

More info on Land rover springs (rear R50 application only): 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Jeep coils are an outdated option that used to be used in the rear (with an adapter) to complement a subframe drop. Not worth your time compared to LR coils or other options.

There are about 6 spring options for the front suspension: Dobinson, Ironman 4x4, OME, AC, TJM, and King springs.

All the research that I've amassed on those coils can be found here with links in the description as well (AC lifts the highest): 

Living in Florida would be nice. Shipping to Idaho was about 70-80 dollars USD, which is insane. From what I remember, they really screw people over on shipping to Canada.

I think Dobinsons can be found in Canada - They for sure won't lift as high and will (probably) sag more under weight compared to AC. But, its worth noting that the spring rate and ride quality of AC coils keeps a fair amount of people away from them, making OME an equally popular front spring. From what I can tell, the Ironman 4x4 and Dobinson springs will probably perform similar to OME. I would generally opt for a land rover option in the rear (lots of info readily available on those). If you go with a land rover spring option, the vehicle will have a rake of 1-2" depending on your specific spring choices.

More info on Land rover springs (rear R50 application only): 

Thanks, I'll watch those videos :) I also has a question for you specially so I'm happy you responded to this thread. I started reading through your build thread and it was very interesting for me as your path is along the lines of what I hope to follow with my build. I read im your thread that you swapped your rear diff for one from and Xterra because it was an LSD? Do you still have that setup and if so, what's been your experience with it? 

51 minutes ago, jessrob said:

Thanks, I'll watch those videos :) I also has a question for you specially so I'm happy you responded to this thread. I started reading through your build thread and it was very interesting for me as your path is along the lines of what I hope to follow with my build. I read im your thread that you swapped your rear diff for one from and Xterra because it was an LSD? Do you still have that setup and if so, what's been your experience with it? 

Perfect. 

ya, I’ve had it in for about 8 months now. It’s a good unit, I’d definitely pick it over an open rear. Snow/ice driving in 2WD can be a little squirrelly with both wheels pushing forward all the time. 

The few times I’ve been able to get Offroad since, I try and add some left foot brake and sometimes I can keep both wheels pulling in the rear. It’s nice to have. But here’s the thing: it doesn’t hold a candle to my front lokka. Having the front unit pull and always doing 50% or more of the workload is awesome, especially in rutty uphill situations where the front is most likely to break free (IFS, weight leaning back, etc). With the front maintaining traction like that, it makes it easier to keep the rear from breaking loose, which might actually make the LSD unit look like it’s over performing for me. Obviously, a super packed LSD would be better than what I have, but I’d still put the lokka ahead of any other gear/locker mod available to me. 

Completely agree that rear LR springs have really made all other options obsolete. Mine were $84.49($32.92+$51.57) from LR Direct - ordered on a Friday afternoon & on my porch in Seattle before noon on Monday.

ARB OME HD in front will support the weight of a bumper, no problem. I have 97# up there - it was dangerous with my old OEM springs, installed ARB OME HD & struts & I can’t even feel it. Soon I’ll have another 70# with winch & lights & I expect it will take it fine. The OME rides better than stock - very nice!

@02_Pathy had just about the best optimized 2” lift rig I’ve seen (he now has an SFD). Honestly, unless you’re a rock crawler, you really don’t need more than 2” lift.

• Like 1

check out toughdogcanada on IG.

Those numbers just don’t seem right. I paid $84.49 USD TOTAL ($32.92 part +$51.57 shipping) from LR Direct in England to Seattle, WA, USA less than a year ago.

I went with Dobinsons in the front which Tyler mentioned as an option and super happy with them. There is a little rake when unloaded but when the cargo area is loaded up with camping gear, water etc. it levels off perfectly. 

Edited by The_Oregonian
  • Like 1

Ironman America offers front and rear springs. Located outside of Portland, OR. Dont know anyone that has used them but the price is on par with OME and they are in stock as of 1/27/2021

https://ironman4x4america.com/categories/?_bc_fsnf=1&sort=pricedesc&Make=Nissan&Model=Pathfinder&Year=2001 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Ironman America offers front and rear springs. Located outside of Portland, OR. Dont know anyone that has used them but the price is on par with OME and they are in stock as of 1/27/2021

https://ironman4x4america.com/categories/?_bc_fsnf=1&sort=pricedesc&Make=Nissan&Model=Pathfinder&Year=2001 

Yeah I’m looking at Ironman also. The OME is out of stock everywhere. That was my first option.

OME says 0.75 rear lift and 0.6 front lift. But Ironman says 1.5” front and back.

I’m curious about the ride quality and amount of top out I’ll experience with them as I don’t run extra weight on vehicle. Going to use them with the KYB gas struts and shocks (new).

Also, will I need camber bolts when I’m finished with the install? One or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/12/2021 at 5:59 PM, AR97Pathfinder said:

Yeah I’m looking at Ironman also. The OME is out of stock everywhere. That was my first option.

OME says 0.75 rear lift and 0.6 front lift. But Ironman says 1.5” front and back.

I’m curious about the ride quality and amount of top out I’ll experience with them as I don’t run extra weight on vehicle. Going to use them with the KYB gas struts and shocks (new).

Also, will I need camber bolts when I’m finished with the install? One or two?

OME HD springs gave me slightly more than 1.625" of lift and haven't sagged at all in almost ?6? years. Even before I ran a steel bumper I had no top out issues paired with a KYB strut. Never quite figured out why they list the springs at a little over half inch because that's never been the case for me. 

I suspect the Ironman springs will be similar but I cant say for sure since I've never been in a vehicle with them or know anyone personally. There are a few accounts of them on social media from folks who have done front and back and claim they work well with no issues. I'm definitely interested as they're local now and really good with customer service. I have their awning and have been looking at the water storage they have as well. Lots of reasonably priced items that give other brands like ARB a run for their money. Only downside is the obnoxious logo on our awning. Some may not like the bright green springs either but for the price and availability its not a bad option

As for camber bolts- its not a bad idea to have some to bring it back into spec as you'll definitely see some positive camber but I cant recall if 1.5" of lift is enough to throw it out of whack. Definitely get an alignment after lifting.

• Like 1

OME HD springs gave me slightly more than 1.625" of lift and haven't sagged at all in almost ?6? years. Even before I ran a steel bumper I had no top out issues paired with a KYB strut. Never quite figured out why they list the springs at a little over half inch because that's never been the case for me. 

I suspect the Ironman springs will be similar but I cant say for sure since I've never been in a vehicle with them or know anyone personally. There are a few accounts of them on social media from folks who have done front and back and claim they work well with no issues. I'm definitely interested as they're local now and really good with customer service. I have their awning and have been looking at the water storage they have as well. Lots of reasonably priced items that give other brands like ARB a run for their money. Only downside is the obnoxious logo on our awning. Some may not like the bright green springs either but for the price and availability its not a bad option

As for camber bolts- its not a bad idea to have some to bring it back into spec as you'll definitely see some positive camber but I cant recall if 1.5" of lift is enough to throw it out of whack. Definitely get an alignment after lifting.

Thanks for the info TowndawgR50

What shocks are you running with your lift?

I have a new set of KYB gas shocks and I’m debating whether those should be fine with the 1.5in lift coils. They’re rated about 23 in extension and 15in compressed.

I know many use the bilstein shocks. But with normal daily driving should a KYB shock be fine with with the new coils?

I have Bilstein 5160 shocks in the rear. I tend to keep a pretty good clip on washboard and rough terrain and these perform very well. My rear end doesn't float like it used to with the 5100 series and the road characteristics are sporty and responsive. 

If you already have the KYB shocks I'd run with those and if you find that you need or want more performance then change at a later point in time. I don't recall what the OEM spec compressed and extended lengths are but I'm sure you can find them posted. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

so for those who have used the ironman front springs are they lifting the advertised 1.5" I read somewhere someone saying they only got .75" Just curious if the lift is coming out reasonably level for an ironman f&r lift spring setup.

The rear Ironman springs have a 166lb/in which should hold weight curious on anyone using them how they hold up to say a constant 300lbs in the rear cargo area....The OME md rear are 140lb/in so in theory these should hold weight better.

Edited by 02QX4

Finally got a chance to watch this recent video on the Ironman coils, props to the channel for getting out their experience on these coils. Video

It's pretty apparent that the coils aren't providing him any lift. Defective or not is a little hard to say, since we don't have many community members using them. Sounds like he can't get a replacement from Ironman4x4, which is a bummer.

It seems like OME and Dobinson's would be better, less risky options for coils that give decent lift height and ride performance.

Finally got a chance to watch this recent video on the Ironman coils, props to the channel for getting out their experience on these coils.

It's pretty apparent that the coils aren't providing him any lift. Defective or not is a little hard to say, since we don't have many community members using them. Sounds like he can't get a replacement from Ironman4x4, which is a bummer.

It seems like OME and Dobinson's would be better, less risky options for coils that give decent lift height and ride performance.

Thanks for finding that video review.

Good thing I didn’t buy the Ironman yet. I think I might wait it out until the OMEs come back in stock.

Have you seen any dobinson video reviews for the R50?

4 hours ago, AR97Pathfinder said:

Thanks for finding that video review.

Good thing I didn’t buy the Ironman yet. I think I might wait it out until the OMEs come back in stock.

Have you seen any dobinson video reviews for the R50?

No, but everyone whose installed them

thats talked to me about it ( ~ 3 people?) like them. They’re a reputable brand, bigger in the Toyota world.

• Like 2

They’re a reputable brand, bigger in the Toyota world.

Yep, they’re a reputable brand for Toyota. I’d put them as a brand of choice for a moderate build. They’re most likely what I’ll use for a 3” lift on our 5thGen 4Runner. No real complaints in the T4R world.

Finally got a chance to watch this recent video on the Ironman coils....It's pretty apparent that the coils aren't providing him any lift. Defective or not is a little hard to say, since we don't have many community members using them. Sounds like he can't get a replacement from Ironman4x4, which is a bummer.

Is the OP a NPORA member? I heard Ironman was reaching out for measurements & he wasn’t collaborating with them. Kind of a bummer all the way around.

2 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Is the OP a NPORA member? I heard Ironman was reaching out for measurements & he wasn’t collaborating with them. Kind of a bummer all the way around.

Not sure

The video uploaded provided them with before and after measurements from fender to ground, factored in tire size, and they wouldn’t budge. Ironman claimed they needed before and after fender to hub (not ground) measurements.

it is very clear that the coils are netting him no lift.

Theres another R50 on Instagram the has a 1” (not 1.5”) spacer, Ironman coils, and 33’s (not 32’s) and clearly has more fender gap.

Edited by PathyDude17

Huh, wonder why he wouldn’t get the fender to hub measurements. I’m surprised he didn’t take them, I always take fender & hub measurements. That said, they definitely don’t look like they’re giving him lift. Tough to say - the spacer sure confuses things. Not sure why he threw the spacer on without trialing it first. A 1.5” spacer with any notable lift wouldn’t have been a great idea anyway. If he won’t even bother doing the installed fender to hub measurements, I’m not surprised IronMan isn’t bothering to move forward. Kind of too bad for everybody.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Huh, wonder why he wouldn’t get the fender to hub measurements. I’m surprised he didn’t take them, I always take fender & hub measurements. That said, they definitely don’t look like they’re giving him lift. Tough to say - the spacer sure confuses things. Not sure why he threw the spacer on without trialing it first. A 1.5” spacer with any notable lift wouldn’t have been a great idea anyway. If he won’t even bother doing the installed fender to hub measurements, I’m not surprised IronMan isn’t bothering to move forward. Kind of too bad for everybody.

I mean, this forum built up our Land Rover specs on ground to fender height measurements..... its not uncommon.

He had to add the 1.5” spacer with those tires to make it driveable. The fender gap on that vehicle is almost nothing even after the spacer. The 1.5” spacer should add ~2” of lift, which means about 3.5” of lift total.  

There are plenty of AC and 1” spacer setups on Facebook (imagine that) to examine, and his axle angles aren’t anything near as severe as what those setups look like. Those things should look maxed, and there would be plenty of room for the tires.

Even looking at how close the coils are together inside the strut, it just looks wrong. 

To sum it all up, I can’t say I’d put Ironman at the top of my list for R50 springs