Constant or Variable Rate Springs

Front Notes:

Nissan R50 OEM Springs:

115”/# Spring Rate

5" Inner Diameter

Front Springs:

Dobinson

Ironman 4x4 Part#NISS034B

(https://ironman4x4america.com/nissan-pathfinder...-0-110lbs)

ARB OME

AC

TJM

King

Dobinsons

(https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/products/dobinsons-pair-of-front-coils-for-nissan-pathfinder-r50-1995-2005c45-168)

Front Notes:
Nissan R50 OEM Springs:
115”/# Spring Rate
5" Inner Diameter

Front Springs:
Dobinson
Ironman 4x4 Part#NISS034B
(https://ironman4x4america.com/nissan-pathfinder...-0-110lbs)
ARB OME
AC
TJM
King
Dobinsons
(https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/products/dobinsons-pair-of-front-coils-for-nissan-pathfinder-r50-1995-2005c45-168)

Thanks for the info RainGoat. I did come across these while researching but wasn’t sure about them without asking here.

Probably will use Ironman front front and rear.

Looking at the Ironman coils for the front and rear they mention it’s 1.5in front and back lift. Is it that much compared to the OMEs? OME mentioned 0.75 back and 0.6 front.

Trying to stick with something that will have the least chance of topping out once broken in and will give a comfortable ride. I don’t off-road or have anything on the vehicle for extra weight. And I have new kybs for the strut and shocks.

I don’t have too much knowledge about any of the springs and I know a lot of people here have done theirs so I appreciate the advice and recommendations on choosing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll need more knowledgeable people than me to comment. I will note; however, that lift is relative. 0.5-0.75” areoften quoted for OME but I’m guessing that’s vs brand new OEM. My lift was substantially more but it was from a 17yo suspension. I would expect though that you’ll be in a safe zone with regard to CVs. I’ll let others address rear top out though it sounds like you should be okay.

I must have missed the rear shocks you’re intending- I’d list the spring with specs & spring rate as well as the shocks.

Your Ironman experience will be interesting. It should be a safe bet but it’s new here in the US so tour experience will be pioneering.

We’ll need more knowledgeable people than me to comment. I will note; however, that lift is relative. 0.5-0.75” areoften quoted for OME but I’m guessing that’s vs brand new OEM. My lift was substantially more but it was from a 17yo suspension. I would expect though that you’ll be in a safe zone with regard to CVs. I’ll let others address rear top out though it sounds like you should be okay.

I must have missed the rear shocks you’re intending- I’d list the spring with specs & spring rate as well as the shocks.

Your Ironman experience will be interesting. It should be a safe bet but it’s new here in the US so tour experience will be pioneering.

Hopefully they are as good as the reviews say. And I assume mine would be higher than the 1.5” in the end also as Im running 24 year old springs right now. Ride is a bit rough can’t wait to get rid of them.

Wonder how lime green is going to end up looking. I might repaint them black instead.

• Like 1

So the Iron man rear springs are rated at 370mm and a 166 spring rate. The kyb shocks at the back have a 580mm extended length.

The front iron man springs are 400mm and a 160 spring rate. The kyb struts are 590mm extended length. 

Coils are giving 1.5 inch lift front and back. 

These coils and struts/shocks should be compatible together and work fine? 

• 1 month later...

Since the OME coils are back ordered and the Ironman have some uncertainty I decided to get som ACDelco professional coils for the front. I was really looking for a lift anyways but can always use a spacer if I want a little lift.

Anyways I got the ACDelco 45H0454 coils which are for the 4wd model R50s from Rockauto. However I received it yesterday and I noticed one end is tangential and the other pigtail.

When I dissembled my strut before I don’t remember any side of the Nissan coil having a pigtail end. After further checking other brands such as Moog, I see that they are also pigtail at one end for the Pathfinders.

I doubled checked using the VIN on both the Moog and ACDelco websites and it says it’s for the 96-2004 pathfinders.

How would this fit into the KYB struts with the Nissan upper coil seats? Would the pigtail go to the top or the bottom? Or would this even work?

I would think they must have to work if all these brands are selling them and some reviews from Amazon and such say they work. But I’m just not seeing how.

c001adeb779c13b892a327f75f7cf709.jpg

3 hours ago, AR97Pathfinder said:

Since the OME coils are back ordered and the Ironman have some uncertainty I decided to get som ACDelco professional coils for the front. I was really looking for a lift anyways but can always use a spacer if I want a little lift.

Anyways I got the ACDelco 45H0454 coils which are for the 4wd model R50s from Rockauto. However I received it yesterday and I noticed one end is tangential and the other pigtail.

When I dissembled my strut before I don’t remember any side of the Nissan coil having a pigtail end. After further checking other brands such as Moog, I see that they are also pigtail at one end for the Pathfinders.

I doubled checked using the VIN on both the Moog and ACDelco websites and it says it’s for the 96-2004 pathfinders.

How would this fit into the KYB struts with the Nissan upper coil seats? Would the pigtail go to the top or the bottom? Or would this even work?

I would think they must have to work if all these brands are selling them and some reviews from Amazon and such say they work. But I’m just not seeing how.

000000460458.jpeg

Found on the interwebs, hope that helps. Taper to top.

I’m assuming that means it’s unlikely to work?

The angle of the photo makes the spring look weird, but if that’s the correct part number and the box wasn’t tampered with then it should work.

Sent from my Pathfinder

The angle of the photo makes the spring look weird, but if that’s the correct part number and the box wasn’t tampered with then it should work.

Sent from my Pathfinder

No wasn’t tampered and was the correct part number. I even called the company and provided the vin this morning and they said that’s the right one. But I will get a better pic up later.

1 hour ago, AR97Pathfinder said:

No wasn’t tampered and was the correct part number. I even called the company and provided the vin this morning and they said that’s the right one. But I will get a better pic up later.

The part number appears right, but that's not the right spring and it's not going to work.  R50 springs don't have pigtails, front or rear.

• Like 1

The part number appears right, but that's not the right spring and it's not going to work.  R50 springs don't have pigtails, front or rear.

Yeah, I don’t know how various places are selling them for this vehicle. Even the Moog for this vehicle has a pigtail end. And people claimed to have installed it. Even a reviewer on Amazon said they installed it on a 98 Pathfinder.

I don’t see how it would fit the top seat.

59 minutes ago, AR97Pathfinder said:

Yeah, I don’t know how various places are selling them for this vehicle. Even the Moog for this vehicle has a pigtail end. And people claimed to have installed it. Even a reviewer on Amazon said they installed it on a 98 Pathfinder.

I don’t see how it would fit the top seat.

I think it’s just a mis-box. I see it a couple times a year on random parts, most recently a few u-joints. Bought 5, 3 were correct, two incorrect...those two had a label on them that matched what I ordered, but the info they covered was correct for what was in the box.  I also don’t rule out the possibility someone’s done a little switcharoo and returned the wrong part. 

• Like 1

I think it’s just a mis-box. I see it a couple times a year on random parts, most recently a few u-joints. Bought 5, 3 were correct, two incorrect...those two had a label on them that matched what I ordered, but the info they covered was correct for what was in the box.  I also don’t rule out the possibility someone’s done a little switcharoo and returned the wrong part. 

So according to the company’s (ACDelco) tech they said it’s not a true pigtail and it will definitely work.

Only way to know is when I take it apart or I order a next set and see when it comes. The coils also look thicker.

You’re defiantly right about those possibilities.

88dda4d5ab48632ab8e995055238ecca.jpg

And I think you are right hawairish.

According to ACDelco the spring wire diameter is supposed to be 0.6in thick and the one I got is 0.75in.

The inner diameter is supposed to be 5.9in. This one is less than 5in.

The free length is supposed to be 14.8”. This one is barely 14in.

• Like 1

The spring is also supposed to be wider at the bottom than the top. That one looks to have a uniform diameter, not including the pig tail. 

If it helps, I think I have set of OE springs around. 

• Like 1

The spring is also supposed to be wider at the bottom than the top. That one looks to have a uniform diameter, not including the pig tail. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if you do. Probably the ones we took off my truck. I ended up tossing the new ones we installed after I got ome hd.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Yeah I remember from a while back when I had previously opened them up. That’s why I was stumped as soon as I saw these new ones. I knew something was off.

I ordered a new set and sending these back and also a set of Moog for the heck of it to cross check. Whatever set I don’t use is going back.

If they’re all screwed up I’ll just wait for the OMEs. But my springs are in need of changing currently so that’s why I went with one of these brands for now.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, AR97Pathfinder said:

a561d5d98a548a7f21350aeb7781eb25.jpg

Yeah those things look way too beefy to work. Even if they fit they would probably made the truck ride like a wagon from the 1800s

• Haha 1

Got the new set of coils today. You were right, looks like someone did a little funny business with the last set that came.

0cfad745c7eaa0fa2b9f69c5ada32efa.jpg

• Like 2