Constant or Variable Rate Springs

I’m looking to replace the front and rear coil springs. I’m still running the original ones front and back.

It’s one of the suspension components I should’ve changed when I put in a new suspension but didn’t.

Vehicle sits at normal ride height but when loaded starts sagging. Looking for some quality springs.

And for some reason in my neighborhood they decided to put up a speed bump with no signs going downhill and my rear bottomed out. It was nighttime by the way, didn’t expect it. I wasn’t even going fast maybe around 20mph. Definitely need new springs.

Any recommendations on which type and brand? Tires are stock size and suspension parts are all OEM replacement.

I don’t off-road, although I’d love to one day. Sorry, my Pathfinder might sound boring to many of you lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m looking to replace the front and rear coil springs. I’m still running the original ones front and back.

It’s one of the suspension components I should’ve changed when I put in a new suspension but didn’t.

Vehicle sits at normal ride height but when loaded starts sagging. Looking for some quality springs.

And for some reason in my neighborhood they decided to put up a speed bump with no signs going downhill and my rear bottomed out. It was nighttime by the way, didn’t expect it. I wasn’t even going fast maybe around 20mph. Definitely need new springs.

Any recommendations on which type and brand? Tires are stock size and suspension parts are all OEM replacement.

I don’t off-road, although I’d love to one day. Sorry, my Pathfinder might sound boring to many of you lol.

OME 2922 medium duty rear springs will give you close to stock height and have a bit higher spring rate. LR springs are probably too long for your needs.

Sent from my Pathfinder

OME 2922 medium duty rear springs will give you close to stock height and have a bit higher spring rate. LR springs are probably too long for your needs.

Sent from my Pathfinder

How about the front?

16 hours ago, hawairish said:
I'll second the OME MD springs.  Great ride quality, and good for a small lift amount, too.  Good time to look into shock and strut replacement, too.

Sounds like I’ll be going with those!

R50JR helped me out with the part number for the rear medium duty coils. But I wasn’t able to find the matching mediums for the front.

The OME ones I’m finding for the front say heavy duty.

I have new KYB struts in the front. Just never changed springs. Bad move. And the rear kybs shocks are a few years old and no problems. Should I change the rear shocks with something upgraded while I’m at it?

Actually, I think I found them. OME 2923 medium load for the fronts to go along with the 2922 for the rear. However, some websites that are selling the 2923 claim they are heavy duty. Not sure, but accord to ARB's website 2923 is the medium duty load for 96-2004 Pathfinders. 

Edited by AR97Pathfinder

I’ve read about the new springs with a slight lift causing “topping out”?

Is this true? I know springs have to settle in a bit after installing them. But I’m not running any extra weight on the vehicle majority of the time so will I experience this?

Does that cause damage?

I’ve read about the new springs with a slight lift causing “topping out”?

Is this true? I know springs have to settle in a bit after installing them. But I’m not running any extra weight on the vehicle majority of the time so will I experience this?

Does that cause damage?

This is true. Mine still too out after about 1.5 years of being installed. They may cause damage if topped out constantly.

Sent from my Pathfinder

This is true. Mine still too out after about 1.5 years of being installed. They may cause damage if topped out constantly.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of.

I’m not running any extra lifts besides what the OME medium duty springs themselves provide. The 2922 have a 0.75in at back and 2923 0.6in at front. Just wanted to clarify that.

I guess I’ll go with the light duty for the front (2921)? Out of stock everywhere though. But there is not light duty for the rear.

I’m not sure about your setup, but is it just the front that tops out for you? And does it usually happen on normal everyday driving?

Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of.

I’m not running any extra lifts besides what the OME medium duty springs themselves provide. The 2922 have a 0.75in at back and 2923 0.6in at front. Just wanted to clarify that.

I guess I’ll go with the light duty for the front (2921)? Out of stock everywhere though. But there is not light duty for the rear.

I’m not sure about your setup, but is it just the front that tops out for you? And does it usually happen on normal everyday driving?

Front tops out with 2928. It happens during off road driving if wheel drops too fast. I noticed you started a thread for another topic. May I recommend starting your own build thread so you can have one place for all of your questions?

Sent from my Pathfinder

Front tops out with 2928. It happens during off road driving if wheel drops too fast. I noticed you started a thread for another topic. May I recommend starting your own build thread so you can have one place for all of your questions?

Sent from my Pathfinder

Okay, so you have the heavy duty springs. Do you run extra weight on the front?

Maybe I wouldn’t have the problem with medium duty and the kybs which are about a year old. I don’t off-road honestly.

And sure I can do that, sorry I’m only a few months into this forum. I thought the build threads were for people doing some major overhauls on their vehicles. I’ve finished everything else suspension wise before joining the forum so I wouldn’t have too much to add toward the build thread other than some minor repairs here and there.

My other recent thread was about a pressurized fuel injection cleaning.

Okay, so you have the heavy duty springs. Do you run extra weight on the front?

Maybe I wouldn’t have the problem with medium duty and the kybs which are about a year old. I don’t off-road honestly.

And sure I can do that, sorry I’m only a few months into this forum. I thought the build threads were for people doing some major overhauls on their vehicles. I’ve finished everything else suspension wise before joining the forum so I wouldn’t have too much to add toward the build thread other than some minor repairs here and there.

My other recent thread was about a pressurized fuel injection cleaning.

No added weight in front.

That’s not a problem if you aren’t building up your truck. Some people have very small mods and they have threads. Also, there’s a category for garage stuff on the forum that you can ask about the fuel cleaner.

Sent from my Pathfinder

No added weight in front.

That’s not a problem if you aren’t building up your truck. Some people have very small mods and they have threads. Also, there’s a category for garage stuff on the forum that you can ask about the fuel cleaner.

Sent from my Pathfinder

Thanks R50JR! Appreciate it

Ditto on everything above. Not applicable to your situation but I have top out occasionally on my current rears which are the Britpart LR9448s. I’m temporarily running old Bilstein 5100s while I figure out which 5165s to upgrade to. I basically only feel it under the conditions[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] describes.

Since I was adding weight up front, I put on my 97# bumper before switching to the ARB OME2928 to avoid this problem; however, the truck was dangerously front heavy on the old OEM set-up for the brief time I had it like that - so much so, I essentially drove it home & then only drove it to go back to [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] where he helped me change out the front set up. After that, I couldn’t even feel the bumper anymore.

I positively love my front OME setup. It’s so nice that my wife spontaneously commented on it the first time she rode in it, just to the hardware store. It sounds like medium duty will fit your needs best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Ditto on everything above. Not applicable to your situation but I have top out occasionally on my current rears which are the Britpart LR9448s. I’m temporarily running old Bilstein 5100s while I figure out which 5165s to upgrade to. I basically only feel it under the conditions[mention=41155]R50JR[/mention] describes.

Since I was adding weight up front, I put on my 97# bumper before switching to the ARB OME2928 to avoid this problem; however, the truck was dangerously front heavy on the old OEM set-up for the brief time I had it like that - so much so, I essentially drove it home & then only drove it to go back to [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] where he helped me change out the front set up. After that, I couldn’t even feel the bumper anymore.

I positively love my front OME setup. It’s so nice that my wife spontaneously commented on it the first time she rode in it, just to the hardware store. It sounds like medium duty will fit your needs best.

I've had the chance to go wheeling with the 5165s and I personally do not think they are worth the cost. They are firm on the road and the only benefit I have seen is they don't get as hot while driving 40+mph on washboard roads. One big negative about the 5165s is the 2 year warranty, whereas the 5100s have lifetime warranty.  I gifted some brand new 5100s (33-185569) to @hawairish for his birthday. I know he's got a bigger sfd in the future so I figured he could use the extra travel.

On 1/28/2021 at 5:40 AM, R50JR said:

Sent from my Pathfinder

Mine top out constantly on the road because denver pot holes are terrible. It’s been a year since I put the AC coils on the front and no damage yet. I do food delivery most days as a side hustle so the truck sees a LOT of miles on these pot holes. 

I’ll see how it goes after I install the medium duty coils. Looks like I might not experience it. You guys defiantly have stronger ones than I’m getting.

Is it okay to reuse those rubber insulators under the spring cap? It was in good shape last time I opened up the strut. No cracking or breakage.

And are the coil sleeves necessary? Those rubber sleeve like inserts that go into the top and bottom of the spring. Those are defiantly done with on the old ones. If they’re really needed what’s an alternative. Nissan wants about 30 bucks a piece (2 per coil front and back) and a chance they don’t even have them anymore.

I’ll see how it goes after I install the medium duty coils. Looks like I might not experience it. You guys defiantly have stronger ones than I’m getting.

Is it okay to reuse those rubber insulators under the spring cap? It was in good shape last time I opened up the strut. No cracking or breakage.

And are the coil sleeves necessary? Those rubber sleeve like inserts that go into the top and bottom of the spring. Those are defiantly done with on the old ones. If they’re really needed what’s an alternative. Nissan wants about 30 bucks a piece (2 per coil front and back) and a chance they don’t even have them anymore.

If you’re referring to the plastic bits that wrap around the spring coil, yes you can reuse them.

Sent from my Pathfinder

If you’re referring to the plastic bits that wrap around the spring coil, yes you can reuse them.

Sent from my Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

Any other recommendations for a set of front and rear coil springs that are just as good in quality as the OME medium duty and ride comfortably? And possibly provide the slight lifts that the OMEs do?

Because the 2923 mediums for the front are out of stock everywhere. 2922 md rear seem to be in stock based off the websites. And the places are not sure if they’re simply out of stock or the company is not manufacturing those numbers anymore.

As for the spring sleeves, you can reuse them - I did; however, mine were mostly worn through (literally worn away to non-existence in large spots)& I wish I’d had replacements. I rotated mine & others have replaced with hose. Honestly, I’m not sure where you get them but I wish I’d had some handy - it’s the one thing in the rebuild I felt we did suboptimally.

As for the spring sleeves, you can reuse them - I did; however, mine were mostly worn through (literally worn away to non-existence in large spots)& I wish I’d had replacements. I rotated mine & others have replaced with hose. Honestly, I’m not sure where you get them but I wish I’d had some handy - it’s the one thing in the rebuild I felt we did suboptimally.

Any thoughts on alternatives to OME if they’re not in stock anywhere?