02 QX4 Vehicle Immobilizer System

oneninty8d

Has anyone run into an issue where they can't start their car until they run the 5 seconds on 5 seconds off sequence??

From the owners manual

"The Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System will not allow the engine to start without the use of the registered Infiniti Immobilizer System key. If the engine fails to start using the registered Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer key (for example, when interference is caused by another Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System key, an automated toll road device or automated payment device on the key ring), restart the engine using the following procedures:

1. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position for approximately 5 seconds

2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF or LOCK position, and wait approximately 5 seconds

3. Repeat step 1 and 2. 

I haven't been able to start my car without doing that for the past week and intermittently for the year. I've been keeping the key about as far away from my cell phone and wallet, but seems like even if I keep them in completely different pockets I still can't get my car to start. Has anyone else dealt with this? 

The interference that is being referred to is with the car, not the key. The antenna that reads the key is in the ring around the ignition switch. It is most likely the antenna unit is failing, or the connection to the wiring is poor. The key just has a RFID chip that isn't bothered by any RF radiation, but the antenna amp(Nissan name for the unit) around the ignition lock can get 'jammed' by signals from other sources. 

Check the key and ensure the little rectangle block is still in it next to the key blade. I have seen a few over the years that were damaged. If that is the case, you will need to get a new key and have the system reprogrammed either at a Nissan/Infinity dealer or locksmith that can do Nissans. If you have a second key for your car, try it and if it works normally, then the problem is the key. If not, most likely the antenna. Replaced a few of them over the years too. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the information! After I posted this, I fixed a few codes it had been throwing, a bad swirl valve sensor and a bad ignition sensor, and it has started pretty reliably since. I’m not sure if stores codes would have anything to do with it now haha. I’m glad I have a direction to go now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk