Coil over shocks, good idea? Bad idea?

MTGunner

On the regular rear shock mounts I would guess. Looked over the area and seems to be enough clearance. Have been researching different shock manufacturers to compare total lengths, compressed length and travel. MTG

Edited by MTGunner

It's probably a fine idea, but I can see it getting very expensive very quick for very little advantage over a traditional spring and shock setup in general. Setup right with custom links and all the rest a rear end with coilovers would of course perform awesome, but I'd much sooner put that effort and expense into the front end or other mods; rear reliability and performance can be made really good with simpler mods. @PathyDude17's setup and @TowndawgR50's shocks and links in particular spring to mind. I'd much sooner emulate one of those setups before making coilovers fit.

• Thanks 1

Another consideration, is there enough clearance between the tire and inner wheel well with the suspension flexed? Since the coil will be in that gap on a coilover instead of below it like stock you may simply not be able to fit it.

I looked at a pair of add of overload add on springs on Summit that are slightly larger than the KYB shocks on my Pathfinder. The out side dimensions are just 3”. Should work as I am only looking for additional support when towing my 19’ travel trailer. BTW, only tow it short distance as 3.3L doesn’t do well over long distance. MTG

10 hours ago, MTGunner said:

I looked at a pair of add of overload add on springs on Summit that are slightly larger than the KYB shocks on my Pathfinder. The out side dimensions are just 3”. Should work as I am only looking for additional support when towing my 19’ travel trailer. BTW, only tow it short distance as 3.3L doesn’t do well over long distance. MTG

If you've got the older axle perch style, the coilovers will probably fit, at least on the passenger side since the shock angles rearward, and not vertically like the newer post style.  The driver's side, however, might interfere with emissions or the panhard tower.

If you've got the post style shock mounts, I don't see them clearing the spring and tire under flex.

Are the AirLift bags or OME/LR springs an option?

If your main reason for installing coil-overs is to improve rear load capacity while towing, you'd probably have better success installing AirLift helper bags inside the rear coil springs. I would be concerned that any kind of weight-bearing component installed on the factory upper shock mount will put too much stress on the shock mount and cause it to fail.