A/C bearing replacement

PamPoovey

Is it possible to replace just the bearing in the a/c for my 02 Pathfinder? Or does the entire compressor need to be replaced?

The squeal only goes on when it's cold out, and I've owned this R50 for 4yrs now...with that squeal...or can it just be greased? The a/c works fine. 

Sorry if this has been asked, I tried the search, and just got other results. 

Belts were replaced 4yrs ago when I bought it. The noise is only when it's winter weather cold out. I've replaced the belt tensioner hoping for an easy fix, and the noise persist. The noise is coming from the a/c side. Thank you for the idea, though!

Hey Pam! It's been awhile! Did you get rid of the old pathfinder for new one?

I've never personally done it nor have I seen what the r50 compressor looks like, but It should be kind of easy to do. I"m not sure if you have room in the engine bay to pull the pulley off though. Generally, you remove a nut the hold the clutch in. pull that off. get a 3 jaw puller thingamabob to pull the pulley off. crossreference the bearing and press the old bearing out.

I still own both, actually?

I don't know what I am doing with the a/c, but was hoping to find someone who knew for sure if the a/c bearing could be replaced without replacing the entire compressor. 

I have the 2001 service manual and I looked this up about a month ago by mistake because the person was on the MDX forum not this one. Won't be able to reverify till tomorrow.

I think the service manual said remove AC compressor, and you replace the whole clutch assembly , not the bearing only.

Though doesn't mean that's impossible just because it isn't in service manual.

Possibly if you removed the fan and radiator you could do it on car. I don't remember seeing anything other than frontal access for the puller and one step that required a hammer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I would start by pulling the belt and checking that the pulley spins without obvious play, noise, or tight spots. I would try cold-starting it with the belt completely off to see if the noise goes away. If it does, you're on the right track. If not, your princess is in another castle. If the bearings are fine, but something's still squealing, you might try a different brand of belt before taking the clutch apart.

The service manual doesn't even show that there is a bearing. I assume it's pressed into the pulley, and would come off the compressor snout with it, then come out of the pulley with a press (or a hammer and a socket). If the bearing is roached, chances are it's an off-the-shelf part that you could look up by the numbers on the sides. Before tracking down the bearing, examine the clutch and pulley to make sure they're not worn out, too.

• Like 1

I just replaced the AC compressor clutch and pulley as my bearing was also grinding quite a bit. Once the belt is off, it was easy to spin the pulley and verify the bearing was making all the racket. 

I replaced these parts outright with this same set from eBay 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compressor-Clutch-fits-Infiniti-QX4-Nissan-Pathfinder-1YW-R57423/383468027662

I already tossed the old parts but can confirm that the bearing could be replaced but it is held into the pulley by the metal of the pulley being smashed inwards.

Similar to this pic

So you would have to un smash or dremel these bits down to remove the bearing, then replace and re smash the edges. I didn't want to attempt this, nor do i have a press for the bearing so I purchased the whole thing assembled.

Not sure if any parts are different on the 3.5L as mine is 3.3L from 1997

Edited by DonutHands
  • Like 1

Thank you all, you're all very kind and encouraging! 

Especially Donuthands, who has now made me hungry!  -what's your favourite donut? Mine is apple fritter. That's  really good to know that it can be done without the entire compressor price! This weekend, I should be able to resolve it. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend swore it was the fan clutch and after I replaced the fan clutch, the noise still exist. Then it became cold here, so I haven't messed with it. I may try this weekend. Sorry to keep you waiting. 

I thought squealing was loose belt related? Mine doesn't squeal, more of a bearing failing noise. Just so much runs off one belt lol 

You previously mentioned you replaced the belt tensioner. Unless its damaged you don't generally replace the whole thing. There are two idler pulleys that have adjustment tension bolts, one for the AC belt, and the other for the rest of the accessories. Did you replace both pulleys or only one?

If you did both pulleys already, a mechanics stethoscope may help you track down the specific item making the sound.

Ah, that sucks. A friend and I did a bunch of screwing around on his S10 trying to track down a belt squeak. Finally we realized he hadn't gotten the steering pump pulley lined up quite right when he replaced the pump. It was some kind of press-fit BS IIRC and it just wasn't seated all the way, or it was seated too far, I don't remember which. I'm not sure if the edge of the belt was squealing against the PS pulley or the misalignment was causing it to ride sideways across an idler or what, but it did not sound happy, and it took us an embarrassingly long time (and a few blasts from the parts cannon) to track it down.

If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, you can fudge it with a long screwdriver. One end to your ear, other end to the bolt holding the idler pulley, see if you hear more of a grumble from one than the rest. Obviously look out for the fan and belts while doing this. You can also try wiggling pulleys with the belt off to see if any of them flop around or feel crunchy. And yeah, having everything on one belt makes it tough to work out which one is making the noise.

If it is a belt misalignment you can use a spray bottle to spray a little water on the inside of a running belt. It will instantly go quiet, and then start squeaking again within seconds.

Same works for belts that just have a bad rubber mix for that car. My MDX will squeak with Continental belts, but is fine with the $70 Acura belt.