2002 nissan pathfinder transmission drain bolt

Kr50

i changed the transmission fluid anf filter over the weekend. buttoned everything up and found out i left the Magnet outside ?. would it be safe to drive? im looking for a magnetic drain plug but havnt had luck finding one.

In general driving without a magnetic drain plug for several weeks to several months is fine, as long as the replacement plug isn't leaking. Most older automatic transmissions didn't have magnets at all. My Scout had no magnet and no drain plug. You had to drop the pan. I added a plug into the pan.

In theory it keeps the fluid a little cleaner. It would be interesting to know if some of the newer lifetime fill transmissions with no drain plugs even have magnets in them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DesertKyle said:

If you can't find a magnetic drain bolt I'd just add a Magnafine inline filter by the trans cooler and call it good.

Thanks for the suggestion. looks like its an online part. ill try to get one ordered up. looks like installation isnt too bad. much better than reinstalling the pan.

4 hours ago, colinnwn said:

In general driving without a magnetic drain plug for several weeks to several months is fine, as long as the replacement plug isn't leaking. Most older automatic transmissions didn't have magnets at all. My Scout had no magnet and no drain plug. You had to drop the pan. I added a plug into the pan.

In theory it keeps the fluid a little cleaner. It would be interesting to know if some of the newer lifetime fill transmissions with no drain plugs even have magnets in them.

it was one of those things i totally forgot to replace. which is why i was looking into a magnetic drain plug. looks like its a no go. the magnet wasnt too bad when i cleaned it. so im thinking tranny wasnt dirty to begin with. as for new cars, i replaced transmission fluid on my 2015 Jag xf with lifetime fluid. The plastic pan has 2 magnets inbuilt and the job was alot easier than the pathfinder. would sticking the magnet from outside help in any way at all?

Several high strength magnets on the outside of a steel pan might help a little. But the Magnefine is much better. Its expensive, but I run the steel can Magnefine on my MDX, which has a crap transmission. A couple of people have had the plastic can one leak. But I think it was a fixed manufacturing defect.

:doh:Been there, though thankfully not on an auto trans.

Running it without a magnet isn't ideal, but I wouldn't call it unsafe. I doubt slapping a magnet on the outside of the pan would do a whole lot. If you can work out what threads the stock drain plug uses, you might find a magnetic plug from something else that will fit. That would be better than nothing. The Magnefine filters are nice because they catch non-ferrous crap, too. I've got a plastic one on my '93 and haven't had any issues with it, though I've heard the same about some of them not being sealed right. You wouldn't have to drain the trans to install it. It can't catch anything until it's already gone through the pump, though.

I guess it comes down to whether you're gonna worry about it if you don't do it right. If you're not that worried about it, put a Magnefine on it, find a magnetic plug if you can, and send it, and it'll probably be fine. If knowing it's not right is gonna bother you, drop the pan again.