Please Help

cnd.vlad

Hey I recently bought a 94 pathy with a broken automatic transmission and I need help to figure out what to do with it...

Here are it's symptoms:

When I start it, put it in drive and press on the gas it doesn't go

The fluid is darkish and has metallic flakes in it and smells burnt 

sometimes I press on the gas it goes but this is very rare and even the it eventually comes to a stop and doesn't move

I have realized that It usually gets stuck when the ground isn't level 

Reverse is the same as drive doesn't always work 

Please help, what should I do.

Have a great day

I gotta say that sounds seriously like you need a new transmission. I wouldn't imagine there are that many in Alaska so maybe hit up eBay first and see what available there. After that I would do a full fluid flush from the cooler at the bottom of the radiator and run at least 20 liters through it... yes it's going to cost you 5 gallons of trans oil, but that is cheaper that a transmission install. Make sure that you run the truck through all of its gears while you are doing the flush, otherwise old oil might be lurking in places that it shouldn't. Expect oil leaks afterwards ( the new oil is less dense an _does_ seep past the seals) which should slow after a few months of "marking it's territory". That's all I've got... Anyone else have suggestions?

How would I run through all the gears, and what if like the clutch is super worn? Wont that just waste a bunch a tranny juice. 

Also do you think I could just get an Xterra tranny because I heard they are better

Also im sorry im not the most experienced this is my first car and I want to go off-roading.

Best case scenario, the fluid level is low, so the pump's sucking air and not making enough line pressure to engage the clutches. I would check the fluid level (on a level surface, with the engine warm, after going through each gear), and if it's low, top it up with the cheapest dex/merc ATF you can find and see if that makes it work again. If so, great! It's bought you some time to find a replacement. If it works really well, then consider doing a proper flush. If there's so much metal in the oil that it's showing up on the dipstick, though, I wouldn't expect great things from it.

The trans from an Xterra, Frontier, or R50 Pathfinder (with the 3.3) should bolt up. You'll need the flexplate to go with the torque converter it if the donor was supercharged, and I remember reading something about getting as much of the wiring harness as possible--something about the stock harness being too short.

Replace the radiator (the transmission cooler is built into the lower tank) and blow out the trans cooler lines before hooking up the replacement trans. You don't want the roached fluid and bits of metal from the old trans ending up in the fresh one. Also, if you're going to wheel the truck, you'll want an additional trans cooler. Some people run a big aftermarket cooler in place of the stock one, and cap off the stock one, which could save you the trouble and expense of replacing the rad. I've got both hooked up on mine, along with a Magnefine filter (external filter with a magnet inside).

Yeah so I guess ill need a new tranny because when I pull out the dipstick a see LOTS of metallic flakes. Thank you so much I really appreciate the feedback, I'll maybe update this forum if I progress in the tranny swap. THANK YOUUUU!! :)

Running through the gears is quite easy, you just need to get the rear wheels off of the ground but try to keep the truck level. It _may_ be that you are super low on fluid, but if there are metal flakes in the oil then that transmission is probably on it's last legs.

Yeah I figured I had to replace it, but thanks for letting me know what fits :)

Also am I the only one that thinks the vg30e intakes (the whole thing) look a little weird, is there a replacement that looks and preforms better??

Also do you think a junkyard manual is a good option im broke and the only place I can look for parts is the junkyard?

If you want to go from an auto to manual, you will also need to get the clutch master cylinder, tubing, center console, floor plate, and transmission sub harness from a WD21. You will also need a flywheel and clutch assembly.  You will also have to do some work on the wiring to make everything work correctly. 

Most EFI intakes are a little weird looking. I haven't seen an aftermarket manifold for one of these that wasn't for a carburetor swap. I prefer a weird manifold to the acres of plastic crap you get under the hood of newer stuff.

The manual trans is pretty robust, except that until '96, Nissan put the fill hole too low, which starves the countershaft bearings. An early trans that isn't already damaged can be kept alive by overfilling it through the shifter hole. Same donor list as for the slushbox. Make sure you get the flywheel bolts from the donor as well--the bolts on your flexplate are shorter. Harbinger did a fairly involved thread when he swapped his auto to manual, so have a look around for that. Also make sure you put the correct oil in it. There's a thread on that too, but the short version is that GL-5 rated oil will eat the synchros, so you'll need to track down some GL-4.

Ok so what are guys saying, im horribly inexperienced should I just stick to an auto, and should I just stick to a wd21/d21 tranny instead of the r50/xterra/frontier tranny I was talking abt

if It's better to get a r50/xterra/frontier tranny and it's worth going through the pain of wiring I will do that but I want to know what you guys think...

Thanks a lot for the feedback

sorry if I sound stupid :(

Can we continue this conversation in the "building cnd.vlad's 94 XE" post 

just to be more organised

also I figured how to use quotes sorry for not using them previously :(

13 hours ago, cnd.vlad said:

Yeah I figured I had to replace it, but thanks for letting me know what fits :)

Also am I the only one that thinks the vg30e intakes (the whole thing) look a little weird, is there a replacement that looks and preforms better??

Also do you think a junkyard manual is a good option im broke and the only place I can look for parts is the junkyard?

Considering the z guys used to swap pathfinder intakes into their cars, I don't think there is a better performing one ;)

5 hours ago, adamzan said:

Considering the z guys used to swap pathfinder intakes into their cars, I don't think there is a better performing one ;)

WHOAHHH that's cool, I guess im keeping the intake lol