2002 Chilkoot Battery Connector Replacement

xjoeoconnorx

Hey all,

I've recently decided to do some completely un-needed upgrades to my Pathy just because I can. I've got myself a lovely bullbar on the front, two 4" LED's on the roof rack and a 22" LED bar on the bars. 
I also have just replaced the battery from the 7 year out of date with the battery it's "supposed to have" according to the guy at Part Source. There was a lot of corrosion on the negative terminal that I scrubbed off with baking soda/water mix (only getting a little bit of corrosion in my eye before wearing eye protection), but in the changing process I also learned that the screw to loosen the negative terminal was also seized on and now rounded off in the process of trying to remove it. I managed to get pry it off and get the new battery in so my Pathy will start again, but the connection on the negative is a little suspect and it's already getting some white corrosion on it.

I want to replace the entire clamp section as it's old and janky and I want to give the LED's the best chance at life with a good connection to the battery. 

It looks a little messy in there and I don't know the best way to approach it; I've read that there is a harness of a few wires as well. Should I be looking to replace the entire harness or can I cut off the old clamp and solder on a new one?

I can upload a photo in the morning of the battery if that offers any more information and help to any one willing to help me?

Thanks all!
Joe

You can just cut off the old clamp if you like. I've done it to both connectors on mine. Just try not to let falling copper wire strands fall down on to the alternator.

• Like 1

I used the same type of clamp Strato's talking about, though they weren't painted (I used whatever the local hardware store had). I'm sure there are better options, but they've worked fine for me. The fuse link assembly on my '93 bolted onto it with only a little screwing around. I assume it would be similar on an R50. If you're doing just one terminal, make sure you get the right one.

I used to have everything on separate feeds from the + terminal, with a stack of ring terminals and separate in-line fuse holders for each thing I'd added on. It was a mess, so I redid it with a cheap blade fuse block with one wire going to the battery terminal. Much easier to work with. Rugged Rocks has these if you want more places for ring terminals.

On 11/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, Dbot said:

You can just cut off the old clamp if you like. I've done it to both connectors on mine. Just try not to let falling copper wire strands fall down on to the alternator.

This question is for all but more specifically you as you also have an '02.

Do you find that you have absolutely no room to play with on your battery leads?

I bought the terminals that Strato_54 linked and I want to cut off the old ones and mount these but I seriously don't know if I have the length to attach the new ones and still have it reach the battery....

So I'm left with either getting entirely new wires ran, or my preferred method of some how extending the wires to get the length I need.

My 02 is tight also. It’s about the same as my 01. I replaced the connectors on the 01 without shortening the wire. I probably should have a bit more descriptive. The metal sleeve that’s crimped around the copper strands was severed by a 1/2” belt sander wand I got from harbor freight. I imagine a Dremel could also notch the metal sleeve with precision to where you could pry open the split sleeve in order to get it to let go of the wire. This will still cause a small handful of strands to break off but you’ll be fine.

5 hours ago, Dbot said:

My 02 is tight also. It’s about the same as my 01. I replaced the connectors on the 01 without shortening the wire. I probably should have a bit more descriptive. The metal sleeve that’s crimped around the copper strands was severed by a 1/2” belt sander wand I got from harbor freight. I imagine a Dremel could also notch the metal sleeve with precision to where you could pry open the split sleeve in order to get it to let go of the wire. This will still cause a small handful of strands to break off but you’ll be fine.

Right on! Thanks for the tip with the dremel. I own one so I'll definitely do it.

Really hope that it works because I don't want to be stuck with a dead car if it doesn't work lol

• Like 1