rear coil spring options for Large custom lift.

WD21colorado

hello NPORA members I've looked over the different threads. and cant find a solid answer. I'm looking for information about coil springs for the rear axle that are around 21" tall with a spring rate between 200-250 lbs. per inch. for my 1995 wd21 is modified with SAS'ed front end with few armor. with .25" plate winch bumper on front and .25" rectangular bumper in the rear on 35" tires. i currently have ac 3" coil springs on the rear but are too soft and short now am looking for information for a solution on difference springs. all the information i can find is for coil springs that are too small for my applications that i am looking for. I'm not sure if front xj coil springs will work for mine yet but will be modifying my rear trailing arms to a long arm setup to reduce the large amount of thrust steer it currently has. so any information for larger heavy duty coil springs will be apricated. i know the rough dimension being 21x4.5O.D. but not truly sure on spring weight fort what's on the market. 

Wow, those are some beefy bumpers! I can't remember exactly now, but I think I remember reading that WD21 and R50 coils can be used interchangeably? That could be totally incorrect though. If that is right, coils from Land Rovers are an option which have a ton of variety available, I'm sure you could find something that meets your required specifications from that.

One of the options for a 3" rear lift on these are the front springs from a V8 Grand Cherokee (I've read 93-98, haven't looked into it myself though) with the pigtails cut off. I think there was also a Ford front spring that people used? Either donor should have aftermarket springs available, and those aftermarket springs might have their spring rates listed or available. This thread has some spring rate numbers for the WJ springs, might be a place to start. Sounds like they give more lift than most people need, which might be just what you're after. Does look like people have used the WJ springs on R50s as well, so, yeah, that may open up the Land Rover option as well.

thanks for the reply others on another forum suggested i use xj springs like Rubicon express re1345 5.5 lift. so ill probably try those out and see how it responds to that. so thank you for giving me more information for other candidate vehicles to choose from for coil springs. 

I am one that has gone through a few different spring sets. 

I have used new springs in my experiments, so I figure my findings are valid. 

I used a pair of coils made for the front of a 85 F-150 stock sized. I cut the pigtails off and got a bit over 4" of lift. Very rough ride unless I had at least 800 lbs of weight in the the back. Worked great when I loaded 44 80# bags of concrete in the back when we were putting in a fence. Did not work well on trails. Even had my right spring fall out in the middle of Hell's Revenge. They were just too short when unloaded. 

Current set-up that is working great in my opinion is a pair of 4" lift front coils for a 96 V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I cut the pigtails and a bit more than a coil off, gave me about 4.5" of lift, good ride and can handle 600#+ loads in the rear easily. Works well off pavement in letting the axle move it's full range and the springs are long enough to keep from falling out when unloaded. They did wind up killing the ProComp ES3000 shocks I had back there in they were just a bit short for full extension. I don't know the specs for my current ones since they are a pair of Bilsteins that came off the rear of a 18 Titan Pro4X. 

A pair of lift coils for a Grand Cherokee would be easy and cheap and I believe they will work well for you.