Bottle jack, what am I doing wrong?

DonutHands

Was going to swap out some wheels, first time using the bottle jack since my HF jack was stolen. It does not lift the tires off the ground, even added a little over 3 inches of height with wood underneath. Wheels tires are stock right now...

Edited by DonutHands

I think I've used a bottle jack once on the Pathfinder. I can't remember what I put it under. Aside from what you did, did you know most of them you can unscrew the top pad to get more extension?

Can you use the factory scissor jack under the seat?

If neither are good you may have a very small bottle jack? Theoretically if you have enough wide wood, you could stack it up higher, but be careful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On my 97, the bottle is the factory jack under the seat! I think i could add another inch of wood underneath the jack and still slide it under, but after already trying, I don't think a couple more inches would help. 

I looked up the owner manual. It looks like a screw bottle jack instead of hydraulic. The owners manual says on the front there should be an extension adapter in the tool bag. On te rear you use it without, on a pad on the axle shaft.

But the adapter doesn't look any 4 plus inches high. I'd look at the owners ma online and compare it to what you are doing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think the OEM jack switched from a bottle jack in ‘01 to a scissor jack in ‘02 based on the difference between[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] & my truck.

Toyota has fantastic 3 stage OEM bottle jacks. They tend to be expensive on Craigslist but you can probably get them at a JY.

Finally, while a bit pricey, these bottle jack extensions from safe jack work great. I also particularly like the saddle seat.

https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories

Bogert aviation makes a version too but there’s really no advantage over SafeJack

39411fae2b7cec5e0db4b47e7cafe589.jpga8c839ee1c1036ef13a18a32fb2ab97d.jpg

I also like the baseplate you see in the picture. I have a HiLift one & both a wood & metal square would work just as well but that one fits my bottle jacks (it doesn’t fit all) & HiLft plus it tucks in nicely against the rear seat back so I just carry it around all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7048400-Farm-Plate/dp/B011PGV3DU

I think my manufacturer date is 8/01 for a 01 model year, and I've got the scissor jack.

The switch must have been somewhere ‘01 then (of course alot of ‘01s were manufactured in ‘00 - his was manufactured 7/00)

Ha. Ok. I’m guessing the oem one has that double extension as well. Once the first pole came out I stopped when I hit significant resistance.

Sorry for the dumb post all. Have only dealt with floor jacks and scissor jacks in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That OEM jack I posted is a Toyota. Most bottle jacks are only a single stage piston - I expect that’s true of the Nissan one as well (my truck, Z & Maxima all only had scissor jacks). The Toyota one is pretty unusual.

My stock jack in my 93 works fine getting my 33's off the ground without blocks or extensions. It is a 2 section with a 3rd that you can screw out before lifting. Location of the jack is the key for getting the tire off the ground. For the rear, under the axle next to the lower link works fine. For the front, I just put the jack under the lower control arm near the ball joint. Works fine for a tire change. 

My stock jack in my 93 works fine getting my 33's off the ground without blocks or extensions. It is a 2 section with a 3rd that you can screw out before lifting. Location of the jack is the key for getting the tire off the ground. For the rear, under the axle next to the lower link works fine. For the front, I just put the jack under the lower control arm near the ball joint. Works fine for a tire change. 

Yeah, that JackSafe piston extension collar & saddle work great on axles. I contemplated this purchase for almost 3 years (it just seems too expensive with tax & shipping). I finally pulled the trigger, getting 4 saddles in all (one for my Mom & 2 for friends). As a safety item, the saddle works VERY well seating on an axle. I’m not disappointed. As an FY, on some of those Toyota bottle jacks, you have to knock the rotating circular metal plate off to get the piston to seat inside the saddles collar.