Possible intake phaser going out.

RegionRat85

Hey guys and gals, I'm wondering if any of you have had a problem with a p0021 and possible having a bad intake cam phaser going out. Mine is rattling alot. Checked out the actuator and it's functioning and the ohms are good. Oil is clean and full but still having an issue. Did a while timing chain kit and triple checked all the marks and all are/were good. Runs good other than that, no misfire or major power loss. The rattle was only noticeable while cruising and now it's all the time. 2006 4.0 litre. Any help would be grand. Thanks!

Possible the phaser is failing. I have seen cam timing codes caused by failed gaskets in the timing cover causing low oil pressure to the phasers. Usually in those cases it is for both banks. When you did the timing chain kit, you made sure the oil screens were clean and in place in the cover before you put the cover back on? 

• Thanks 1

Mr_Reverse By the screens, do you mean the ones inside the vct soenoid itself? If so, yes. I actually checked it again the other day, pretty clean. I'm only having a problem with bank 2, at least, that's the only dtc. I replaced all the o-rings as well that had to do with the vct operation as well as any other ones. This whole thing is weird. It has a constant rattle now from that bank now not just at cruising speed. Also, that p0021 seems to be intermittent. 

There is a small screen mounted in the front timing cover where the oil feeds into the phasers. One for each side. 

I don't recall ever hearing a rattle from a phaser before, but haven't had very many go bad that I had to deal with. Some of the other guys I worked with have had a few that they replaced.

Might be a good idea to pull the valve cover on the noisy side and take a peek. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mr_Reverse Ok, thank you for the info. Pulled the front cover back off as well as the left valve cover and I didn't find anything wrong as far as the cam or the phaser having any play in it. I did find however, half the teeth on the water pump were chewed off! Not sure if that may have any correlation to the phaser code but nonetheless, not good! Not sure how that happened but that explains the noise on that side.