Can ABS light cause soft brake pedal?

enochian

Soft brake pedal is usually from air, but have seen it from a damaged brake hose. I suspect the ABS light is for a wheel speed sensor code. Possible that a sensor or wire was damaged in the half shaft replacement. ABS light on means that the system is disabled, and it won't cause the soft pedal. That is caused by a mechanical problem in the hydraulic system 

I'd expect an ABS light and soft pedal, that started at the same time, to have the same cause. +1 for checking the line, they shouldn't have needed to mess with the caliper but who knows. Have someone hit the brakes and see if the line inflates. Good luck, I hate working on brakes.

They wouldn't have messed with the rear brakes, but a failing wheel cylinder would have fluid leaking. 

You didn't mention anything about fluid level going down, so didn't consider leaks. A failing master cylinder can have an internal leak where fluid leaks past the pistons, but that will allow the pedal to sink to the floor if you hold steady pressure on the pedal.